Andywilliams

Where's your sofa

Some good advice / discussion on this thread.  pleased that you have achieved the improvements Andy.

the panels look smart, where did you buy these?

1 minute ago, lostwin said:

Some good advice / discussion on this thread.  pleased that you have achieved the improvements Andy.

the panels look smart, where did you buy these?

Hi I brought the panels from blue frog audio takes a couple of weeks for them to be made really pleased think I paid around £270 for all of them and there's plenty of choice what colour you want it was another forum member who recommended blue frog. 

:D glad it's working out for you Andy. Just looking at the pics you would get improvements with less solid 'traps' in the corners on the floor behind the speakers, and also on the side reflection points - although i appreciate the WAF is hard.

Super Dealer

I doubt the cabinets behind the speakers make much if any difference, it really would have been better to measure in the first instance , really pinpoint the problem, apply appropriate  treatment and then re measure to corroborate that the treatment has been successful.

Keith

6 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I doubt the cabinets behind the speakers make much if any difference, it really would have been better to measure in the first instance , really pinpoint the problem, apply appropriate  treatment and then re measure to corroborate that the treatment has been successful.

Keith

Like I said Keith would have been better to have done what you have said only problem I have is I don't know much about all the technical side or anybody who could have done it for me so had to do the best I could with the help of others on the forums repositioning the speakers helped adding the bass traps even more so. I've got to rely on my ears and for now iam very pleased with the results 😊

• Like 1

Super Dealer

You are welcome to borrow a microphone and I can talk you through the set up, it is really straightforward.

When I started I just plastered the room with passive treatments, when I learnt about REW and measurement I realised that I hadn’t really tackled the big issues at all.

You could use really full range loudspeakers in that room and still enjoy really tight bass, EQ is available in playback software Room,/JRiver, DACs and even in speakers.

Keith

To be honest keith the only place I could have put the bass traps is where they are now after all it is a living room anything on the side walls wouldn't look good at all. From all the research I've done apart from using digital correction there wasn't much else to do and what I have done has made improvements to the sound iam getting now. 

My main listening room is 7m x 5m and firing up the length. 

My sofa in 6ft off back wall with 3 absorption panels on back wall .... speakers are 1m off side wall and 1.8m off front ...... also use 2 movable GIK acoustic panels for 1st reflection points. 

No issues

Super Dealer
4 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

To be honest keith the only place I could have put the bass traps is where they are now after all it is a living room anything on the side walls wouldn't look good at all. From all the research I've done apart from using digital correction there wasn't much else to do and what I have done has made improvements to the sound iam getting now. 

Andy I understand but they aren’t bass traps, 2” foam only 500Hz and above, those panels would help if you had ‘slap’ echo, you know when you clap your hands and you hear the echo in the room, they won’t be affecting the bass response at all, then again your speakers bass response will only be extending down to what 60Hz ?

Keith

Hi keith the panels aren't 2" there 5 inches deep filled with an acoustic membrane fibreglass the big panels will absorb bass down to 80hz the smaller panels to 125hz  unless bluefrog are advertising lies about there products. Dont know why you thought they were 2 inches of foam. 

Edited by Andywilliams

Super Dealer

80Hz wave is 14feet long, you need to absorb a quarter wavelength 3.5 feet using foam, if they are tuned membrane traps/ helmholtz radiators they would be more effective.

Acoustic measurement would verify how effective the traps are, or even if you needed them in the first instance.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

2 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

80Hz wave is 14feet long, you need to absorb a quarter wavelength 3.5 feet using foam, if they are tuned membrane traps/ helmholtz radiators they would be more effective.

Acoustic measurement would verify how effective the traps are, or even if you needed them in the first instance.

Keith

Keith why do you keep on saying foam MY PANELS HAVE NO FOAM IN THEM 🙈.

Super Dealer

If you look at the absorption coefficient of both materials, foam/fibre glass there isn’t much difference , both really aren’t that effective at low velocity high pressure absorption.

Keith

Blue frog audio have used there acoustic panels in many venues for the BBC and other broadcasters I doubt there products are shabby there feed back is excellent from private buyers like myself to very large installations at theatres etc anyways they must have done something right as the sound in my room is very much improved. 😊