Sign in to follow this  
Spider

Kate Bush remastered albums

Has anybody heard any of the remasters released on 16th November yet?
Just wondered how good they were as remasters and what the quality of the pressing was like on vinyl.
Cheers

I’ve not heard them, but cannot justify £360 for all four volumes on vinyl :nup:.

Received them yesterday, wet cleaned today, listening to them right now.

I ordered The Kick Inside through to The Red Shoes, individually. Paid around £100 for them (in Poland), around 25% cheaper than amazon preorders. Also ordered Aerial, but I don't think I'll take the rarities, it's a lot of money and most of it is on This Woman's Work anyway.

I did direct comparisons between the first presses and remasters for TKI and Lionheart. I preferred the first pressing of TKI (one of my all time favourite records, also sound-wise) but with Lionheart the remaster sounds better to me. I had several first pressings of Lionheart and they all sounded muffled to me, even though they looked near mint. The Red Shoes is very different from the CD (in a good way) but I haven't heard the recent Fish People remaster of that album on CD, so maybe it's the same remaster.

All of the records are flat, nice and shiny. The second LP of The Red Shoes is noisy, especially the third side. Am thinking about replacing it. Haven't listened to HOL and SW yet.

kb.thumb.jpg.1e5f520f1d644ba930f72551a2cbd8d3.jpg

• Upvote 3

Listening to The Ninth Wave right now. I'm comparing it with the CD from This Woman's Work boxset and the vinyl remaster is fuller and warmer, the drums on Waking the Witch are even more thunderous, just like they should be. I have always preferred the first UK pressing of HOL to Audio Fidelity and Japanese pressing, but I don't feel like comparing them with the new remaster right now. The remaster sounds very good, I'd say. Even though it is a bit noisy at the beginning with some clicks, but not as noisy as Audio Fidelity. Hello Earth is dead quiet.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

4B4524D7-9167-44B9-A5A8-936629C4D964.thumb.jpeg.4ca1f5854fcd77f24c0a2f894258e50d.jpeg

I only ordered The Red Shoes  and it sounds good 

I bought original pressings at the time(s) of release for all the vinyl up to and including The Red Shoes (which is ‘worth’ a pretty penny nowadays). Currently working my way through them, cleaning then listening, to see if I need to update any. Two are signed to me so they won’t be going anywhere anyway. Looking like it’s only Aerial I’ll be getting, as I never had that on vinyl in the first place. Not bothered about Director’s Cut or Fifty Words, and have the This Woman’s Work CD box so already have most of the extras.

Mick

PS Is the extras disc available separately, does anyone know?

14 hours ago, MickC said:

PS Is the extras disc available separately, does anyone know? 

As far as I know, no it's not.

Also bear in mind that Aerial is slightly modified vs. the first pressing. The Rolf Harris track has been removed and replaced with the Bertie version from Before The Dawn show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackholesun said:

As far as I know, no it's not.

Also bear in mind that Aerial is slightly modified vs. the first pressing. The Rolf Harris track has been removed and replaced with the Bertie version from Before The Dawn show.

Thanks for that. I knew about the Rolf/Bertie change, but not that it was taken from the (rather splendid) show: I simply presumed he’d rerecorded the piece specifically for the remaster, so that’s interesting.

Mick

Just now, MickC said:

I simply presumed he’d rerecorded the piece specifically for the remaster, so that’s interesting.

Yes, I also thought so :) Meanwhile she simply took the BTD version and slapped it on Aerial (it says so in the booklet). I haven't heard it yet, but people say it does not fit very well the beginning of Sunset. I have my new copy but haven't unwrapped and cleaned it yet...

On 21/11/2018 at 18:23, Beyond you said:

4B4524D7-9167-44B9-A5A8-936629C4D964.thumb.jpeg.4ca1f5854fcd77f24c0a2f894258e50d.jpeg

I only ordered The Red Shoes  and it sounds good 

Lovely looking Gyrodec set up there, how do you find the Audiomods arm -was this an upgrade & from what?

if you haven’t done so already check out the new suspension towers that Pete (Gwernaffield) is offering that replace the standard springs, having made the change myself I consider these an essential upgrade. Go to the Michell section under Clubs on this forum for more details.