Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

darryla

Amplifier dilemma

here's what you need to do:

Get the Chord fixed. The heat thing may be relevant in that thermal expansion/contraction is causing an intermittent make/break soemwhere. A soak test should reveal the problem. I'm amazed Chord can't sort; it may be that they think the time spent doing that, thus the cost, would make repair uneconomic. There are many good techs around that could fix. if you don't get it fixed, then its value is severely limited.

One fixed, sell it.

Get the Sugden serviced by Sugden and then sell that.

Put the proceeds from above together with the other funds and buy a decent integrated (the Krell you've mentioned needs great care; these are now quite old, they run hot and you'd need to make sure that any example you were considering had been properly and competently serviced. Very good amp, but I'd give it a miss, tbh.

Decide what kind of presentation you like, with an eye on properly driving your 'speakers. Chord and Sugden are miles apart.

If you do like Sugden, then look at A21se Signature, or possibly ANV-50. Depends on what you want to spend; if you're thinking Masterclass then you're in the £3-4K mark for a decent used example. Be aware that Class A amps run very hot. Heat is the enemy of caps. Re-capping/servicing of Class A amps often needs to be carried out more regulalrly/sooner than AB, etc.

If you want a really good all rounder amp, with a new warranty, then take a look at a Leema Tucana II. Fanthorpes did have a deal on those; not sure if still valid. The Tucana II is a very nice amplifier.

Loads of other choices though. Get your existing amps fixed is the first thing to do.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, simon g said:

Be aware that Class A amps run very hot. Heat is the enemy of caps. Re-capping/servicing of Class A amps often needs to be carried out more regulalrly/sooner than AB, etc.

If you want a really good all rounder amp, with a new warranty, then take a look at a Leema Tucana II. Fanthorpes did have a deal on those; not sure if still valid. The Tucana II is a very nice amplifier.

Loads of other choices though. Get your existing amps fixed is the first thing to do.

I do not disagree as I can only relate to my experience .. but there are quite a few hundreds of Sugden A21s out there that are still going strong and have never been recapped .. My Hafler DH200 is biased heavily towards class A and also runs very hot and still has the same caps it came with 40 years ago.  So I would not be overly worrled about the Capacitor situation on a Sugden or Krell (and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to change them).  As for the Leema and Fanthorpes also to be included are Acoustic Imagery that make fine class D amps with the wonderful Nord Hypex units.  http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/acoustic-imagery-pre-amp-d400m-pound;3594-pound;2394-each/10224/    https://www.acousticimagery.audio/ 

I am a big Sugden fan having owned an 2000 model A21al for ten years.  I also really like the Masterclass .  However Kevin always told me the LV worked better with the smaller A21 amp than the Masterclass. IIRC Kevin used the A21 as his transistor amp when voicing the LVs.  For valve amps , he used Canary amps.