Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Sandwer

Unidisk SC as a preamp?

Well you all know where I went to post this question. I’m shocked to say the least, but here’s hoping that we can build the knowledgebase we have seemingly lost....

current system:

lp12, linto

Wakonda (with mc and mm phono)

Genki

Sekrit DSM (minimserver running on netgear NAS)

3x activ LK140s driving a pair of Ninkas (bass using an AV5140 card. Well it works and I like the sound...)

Now, I’ve acquired a Unidisk SC, just because it was going for a song...it’s a fine CD player and seems better than the Genki with the added bonus of allowing me to use SACD if I want. I don’t listen to CD a lot, as I’ve ripped everything I own and the combination of my Sekrit and Minimserver is just fine and dandy. My question is: is the preamp in the Unidisk SC better than the Wakonda? How does it compare with an AV5103 which was where my mind was headed at some point in the future...

i remember the ‘night/day’ moment when the Wakonda replaced the awful Kolektor I had to start with - is an AV5103 or the Unidisk SC going to give me that same ‘yesss’ moment? 

Rich

Is it this Sekrit DSM that you have? http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Sekrit_DSM

The Unidisk SC will definitely be a step up from the Wakonda. Does it have the Dynamik power supply? Have you tried the Linto into the Sekrit DSM?

Yes, that’s the one I have. Works well, probably overkill for what I needed but still...

As to the dynamic power supply - how would I tell? No, I have never put the linto through the Sekrit. Interesting idea, I feel a Day Of Experimentation coming on....

Good to know that the Unidisk SC will be a step up. I need to plan my transition away from my LK boxes next (and work out with swmbo about furniture to house the newer stuff)

On 19/11/2018 at 11:23, Sandwer said:

As to the dynamic power supply - how would I tell?

Usually there's a "Dynamik" sticker on the bottom of the unit. Otherwise, to be 100% sure, you'll have to take the cover off and check.

It will look something like this:

dynamik_psu.jpg

I replaced a Kairn / Ikemi combination with a uni disc SC. The preamp of the SC definitely outperformed the kairn, my dealer demo’d The difference for me. The only issue with the SC is the reliability of the laser mechanism’s. Mine was a dynamik version.

G

I presently use a unidsic SC as cd source and preamp. I also have a fully refurbished linn Kinos but I preferred the sound with my Unidisc SC. it may have also been that I stopped using a 5.1 setup and I never tried the kinos in just stereo mode. the kings also has a ton more settings than the Unidisc but I plan to test the kinks out again tomorrow as my younger brother wants to try it with my now borrowed by him Linn Keilidhs in plain stereo mode.

my notes may also not be perfect as I changed to k400 cables when I removed the kinos (vs the older nordost flat wire cables.) I think my amps, speakers and source prefer the k400 cables