Highfly

Klimax 350 Passive

Posted (edited)

Yes Richard, I'm really impressed with the combination. Last night I was listening to some music that I hadn't played in a while. I put on Fisherman's Blues by the Waterboys and while I always liked the song, by the end of it I was always ready for it to end. The Amati's kept my heel thumping the whole time.

I've not yet heard a system that really got my toes tapping, but heel thumping, that's when I know its good.

I posted a pic with the 242's a while back; here's the updated one.IMG_2124.thumb.jpg.69509d20b6594dd0961ed86e13ee7bed.jpg

Edited by Highfly
  • Like 2

Gorgeous, always loved SF. Room looks great as well. Would love to give the Guarneri Evolution a test drive with my Klimax DSM one day but then I'm into amps and Katalyst, so I'll stick with the Akudoriks for now.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying a solo driven 242 myself.

I listened to a lot of 350 systems over the years (active, active Exakt, Exakt plus Solos, passive).
Sad to say: The 350 never got it right. If you are into Linn's old school definition of tune as your system suggests, avoid the 350s!

What makes me sad is the fact that Linn's todays top notch system (listened to it at Linn's in Scotland and at my elite dealer's shop) does not meet even lower expectations of old school linnies in terms of coherence, musicality and fun, but seem to just represent the new deveopment paradigm of clearness. Sometimes I get the impression that they do even use dynamic compression to gain more of that clearness.

Edited by HH2010

Thanks for your insight. While I've not heard the 350's, I'm really happy with the Amati's. When I first hooked them up I was afraid it wasn't enough of a upgrade from the 242's, considering the cash outlay. Compared to the many Linn speakers I've had, they need a lot of breakin. Now, speaker wise, I'm good for a very long time!

Probably the wrong thread for this but with the 242's I had switched to SO v2. With the Amati's I couldn't get it right with v2 and had to revert to SO v1 where I was able to really get them sounding musical! By the way, for this I play test tones one frequency at a time and adjust until I get rid of the louder humps using custom filters.