cbolt18

Linn Isobarik issue

Those pictures bring back memories .

God knows what it would cost  build those beautiful old things today ....and they can still sound absolutely stunning !

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I wonder why Linn gave up on the upward firing units.  It always struck me as a unique feature.  Meanwhile the actual Isobarik idea has been copied quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Just to jump in. Please remember that older Isobariks are basically a THREE OHM LOAD across the midband and this taxes even Naim amps with a vinyl source - our demo 250's overheated regularly when we were young and in animal mode regarding volume levels... As long as the amp is happy then fine...

As for positioning, I'd have got the speakers out of the immediate corners myself, but rooms is rooms with differing acoustics and sometimes not possible. A hand's breadth out from the rear used to be sufficient for many cases, but the very best pair of PMS active 'Briks I ever heard were at least six inches from the back wall.

Toeing in on 'briks is as much a taste thing as anything else. These speakers spray the sound almost in all directions anyway so toe or not as your visuals dictate to you. We used to gently toe them in but not severely. It was only really Kans and Sara's that looked odd if angled in a little being so close to the wall. Not an issue with 'Briks I assure you, but as no two pairs were ever quite the same, it's suck-it-and-see ultimately.

As to the top drivers, this was in the day when imagery was a dirty word in our circles. Isobariks encouraged youthful enthusiasm, where one could move/dance/jump/whatever... all around the room and not bother about a sweet-spot in between them. Subsequent models were more about a tangible stereo image and precision in the musical details/timing etc. I suspect. Depends on tastes I think and the Isobarik was originally derived I believe from the original Ariston Isobaric Speaker (according to an early 70's HiFi yearbook I had), so maybe it was seen as good practise to refine the concept as it was originally conceived.

To the OP - I truly don't mean to lecture, but please note the source-first mantra here. the deck you have I'm sure, is basically clean and tidy sounding, but the amp and lastly speakers will have a far easier time of it if the source is eventually upgraded as the amp and speakers should respond to a 'cleaner sounding' vinyl source. You can take liberties with a CD or streaming player I feel, but vinyl needs often expensive engineering (not necessarily an LP12 here) to give a good dynamic range and inner-clarity in the music - I've done far too many dems on this subject in my times to be remotely swayed otherwise - sorry... If funds eventually permit you to grow to a bigger better deck (in the UK, a Notts Analogue Spacedeck with Rega RB arm - yes really! - is superb sonic and cost value and with a support such as you've fabricated, a Rega 6 or better, 8 if any come up cheaper now there's a newer model, will clean things up nicely and should make your records sound clearer than ever. Older LP12's need the aid of an experienced dealer with some fresh parts and this isn't always cheap sadly.

Edited by DSJR

A slight diversion to correct one of those internet myths. The original Ariston speaker was the SR90 that was launched at the same Harrogate show as the RD11. It was not isobaric but was in fact claimed to have isothermal properties ie similar word but entirely different meaning.

There is a small image of the speaker on the following web page about half way down. Lots of Hi-Fi content but will take a while to load.

http://sfmkm.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-elliptical-logo-with-s-and-r-as-two.html

Below is the entry from the 74 yearbook though there was a similar entry in the 73 yearbook.

Image1.jpg

Thanks for the link. I'm sure my yearbooks were earlier than the ones you mentioned, but I no longer have them now and obviously, memory has faded precisely. I could have sworn in 1972 or so they really were 'Isobaric type' but never mind... Nice to see a proper pic of my old IMF Compacts with Elac and EMI drivers.

I got to know the 'Briks in 1978 or so. Passive ones did vary a bit (Linn learned much in these early years I remember) and the PMS active version was reported to have more selected drivers and build I was told at the time. It was my opinion the passive model didn't come into its own until early 83, when MDF cabinets (identified by 90 degree 'vertical' XLR sockets) came along and it seems Linn began adding extra dope to the wayward mid drivers KEF supplied at around this time as well (I saw this done in 1983 on a trip to the factory but thought they'd always done this).

I still have a soft spot for this speaker, a kind of love-hate relationship. A nice pair in a room they like can sound superb if the source has a well fleshed out sound and the amp can deliver goodly power into the load. I've even been hankering back myself recently, as I know a once great sounding pair that's been in careful storage in their boxes for thirty years - the grilles will have gone home but not sure if the rest would have survived ok.

Edited by DSJR

No entry for Ariston in the 72 yearbook. I have looked hard for any speaker other than the SR90 and not found any.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:23, DSJR said:

Thanks for the link. I'm sure my yearbooks were earlier than the ones you mentioned, but I no longer have them now and obviously, memory has faded precisely. I could have sworn in 1972 or so they really were 'Isobaric type' but never mind... Nice to see a proper pic of my old IMF Compacts with Elac and EMI drivers.

I got to know the 'Briks in 1978 or so. Passive ones did vary a bit (Linn learned much in these early years I remember) and the PMS active version was reported to have more selected drivers and build I was told at the time. It was my opinion the passive model didn't come into its own until early 83, when MDF cabinets (identified by 90 degree 'vertical' XLR sockets) came along and it seems Linn began adding extra dope to the wayward mid drivers KEF supplied at around this time as well (I saw this done in 1983 on a trip to the factory but thought they'd always done this).

I still have a soft spot for this speaker, a kind of love-hate relationship. A nice pair in a room they like can sound superb if the source has a well fleshed out sound and the amp can deliver goodly power into the load. I've even been hankering back myself recently, as I know a once great sounding pair that's been in careful storage in their boxes for thirty years - the grilles will have gone home but not sure if the rest would have survived ok.

When they're properly set up there still aren't too many speakers around  that will do a grand piano recording  more justice.

On 15/11/2018 at 04:29, CJ1045 said:

I would strongly disagree with putting the Briks backs to the wall. I find they are so much better out into the room.

CJ

Please say more about that. They arent the easiest things to play about with.  

How far into the room?