Hi

I recently purchased a pair of MK1 Kans and Kan II Stands, my current amp is a Naim Unitilite all in one network CD player. I’m thinking about getting either an older amp of similar vintage to the Kans such as NAIT 2 or maybe a new Nait 5. 

I have a small room 10ft x 11ft approx any suggestions please?

Linn suggestions? Or should this be a Naim forum question?

• Like 1

The Naim Nait 1 or 2 don't have very much power and that's something the Kans like, as well as a really good front-end. I would go for Naim separates with a bit more power. Btw the Kans sound brilliant with Linn Klouts...

On 11/11/2018 at 12:02, timster said:

Linn suggestions? Or should this be a Naim forum question?

Very good!  A flash of the old forum humour.

Musical maybe, but a bit gutless if pushed.

Kans have no real bass power, but I admit what's there is clean and never boomy. I'm sure a Klout would be ideal as the 'punch' from this amp would be ideal. An LK100 would be too grainy I think and a 140 maybe a bit toppy (an LK85 isn't beefy enough in tone for old Kans and marginal for more neutral Tukan and katan I remember). I don't know the ranges that came after, so can't comment with authority here.

What follows may be out of turn, for which I apologise, but old CB Naim amps (Nait 1 and well set up 135's excepted) are little more than PA grade in absolute honesty and in my opinion (this amp circuit is basically a modified 1950's PA amp circuit I gather and 50W was very powerful indeed back then) and I now say this with the hindsight and experience of a hell of a lot of alternative decent product. CB mid level Naims (110, early 140, 160 and 250's most of the time) were hard toned, up front, graceless and if used with a period Naim preamp, 2 dimensional too/ When I was nearly forty years younger than I am now, it was an 'exciting' listen, but I couldn't deal with it now, any more than I can take the upper mid hardness of an Lk280/SPARK I've been playing with recently.

Now, before I'm accused of trolling here, SERVICING an old CB wreck can restore a lot of grace and delicacy these amps often lacked when new and the 2-D 'issue' for me was more than answered in the 52 and 82 models. Olive Naims also all need servicing (a bane of the circuit as used I gather, where things can drift off over a year or three), but I remember the 180 sounding delightful when launched - so good our six month old 24/7 250 needing to go back for 'adjustment' as it sounded much worse tonally.

Current Naim fare is very different I think and rather better. Mids now have air and space a lot of the time, the mid bass bops along smartly keeping the pr@t going, but the top can sometimes be grainy depending on model (possibly why so many naimie recommended speakers have filling-removing tweeter settings?) and lower powered amps can hard clip, making you jump (or wince depending on the listener's age).

So, no reason at all why your existing amp can't drive a Klout to advantage, and suitable interconnects can be easily obtained (Flashback cables for one, if you ask). if you'd rather get a Naim power amp, a 150 may be suitable here and less fatiguing than a tired/knackered old CB type in my book, if nobody elses ;)

P.S. As I've tried to say above, one man's 'exciting' is another man's hard and fatiguing and looking back over many decades now, it's as much to do with the listener's age and music tastes as to where they stand or fall in this. The original bolt-up Naim 120 and 250 in good order are gentle, musical and NOTHING like the CB and some Olive models that followed in my experience. The bolt up stuff will be well tired by now and will need a lot of work if it hasn't already been done and in all honesty, the current amps with surface mount components and modern cap choices here and there, would be a far better bet in my book. Used prices are silly really, but it helps the amps to not depreciate so much over time.

Edited by DSJR

I have a friend, who biamped his Kan II with two Klouts, no lack of bass there...