radiant red

Kralk Audio TDB Range

Home earlier today 👍🏻

Ok, first review on the speakers.. I would normally like to give speakers a bit more time to bed in but there are some obvious and notable things to point out...

Build Quality

Quite simply outstanding. As I said earlier, they have a real solid industrial feel about them and remind me of older ATC models. Heavy and solid best describes the look and the veneer is of good quality. The front baffle is vinyl but has a quality feel and look. Not knowing the price, you could easily mistake these speakers for £1000-£1500 and I can clearly say I have never seen or owned speakers like this for so little money.

Set up

Pretty easy tbh.. being of a conventional design, they are positioned approx 2.5 m apart with a slight toe in and currently around 0.5 m from the rear walls because I have yet to remove and move the other speakers. Best described as in free space. The room is of mixed furnishings and patio window to the left but a solid floor with carpet (see pics above).

Ive placed them on Atacama SL400 stands that are shot filled.

Sound

Ok, the most important part

Music used.. kept simple and known hopefully to most as some maybe able to relate to it.

YELLO.. Touch. Deezer HQ

Gladiator.. Soundtrack. CD

Babyface.. Essential R&B. Deezer HQ

Chris Rea... Road to Hell. Vinyl 

Ill be honest, out the box, they sounded lean, lifeless and un engaged.. anyone expecting a full on top performance out the box, look elsewhere. Obviously I was not. Alan has stated at least 100 hours of run in time and I fully understand that and why.. 

i ran these last night continually face to face with reverse polarity and a big blanket on top to speed up the running in process and definitely when I started this afternoon, it had made a difference!

ok, starting with the Babyface download. This album is so well recorded, it can’t fail to impress on any system but it is full of dynamics, strong bass lines and clear not over recorded vocals.. played it on low level at first and slowly cranked up the volume... what was clear from the start was the tight, full and well controlled bass.. it got my attention pretty quickly! The timing and imagery was also apparent in no small amounts! 

Moving to Gladiator. Not the best recording in the world but allows you to analyse the depth and texture of a recording on good speakers.. I let it play merrily along and bang!! The thuds and speed from the ‘battle’ passage was sublime! Again, it got my attention and yet again, the bass was so tight and controlled it made the ceiling shake!! Now, not all perfect at this time because the treble was quite bright but detailed and almost to the point of turning it down but I stuck with it because having this type of tweeter before, I know how long they take to settle and to be fair, they got better as the album went on. 

Time for YELLO, if you know this Album, you will know that it can be quite demanding on speakers, especially in the bass dept.. control is key and the speakers had that in spades! The mids sounded good with some texture and finesse and the highs were detailed and definitely clear and precise if still a little bright.. Again, my ceiling was shaking! 😜

Moving on to Chris Rea, love this album especially Daytona.. never have I heard a speaker at this price point do Daytona as well as these Kralks.. total control and deep thumping bass but allowing Mr Rea’s vocals to be clear and precise without loss of control.. pretty amazing as it goes.. I couldn’t help cranking up the volume because the speakers maintained control very well.

I am as I type, still playing with all sorts of music to try and catch them out but really I’m actually enjoying the music 🎶 

As these speakers are only a quarter run in, they sound pretty bloody fantastic and given there price point, I think, unheard of.. if they were twice as much or even more, they wouldn’t be out of place... 

I’m going to be playing music for ages to get these up to full potential and then I will be fully happy as they are improving constantly... Are they a Harbeth? No, but at a quarter of the price of the 7s I use to have, they are damn good! Love to rock and boogie and go loud .. once run in, classical will get a test because I know there is more to come!

i think these could be more money and wouldn’t be out of place in the minefield of speakers today. Well done Alan and thanks for the LP 😜

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Good stuff Jon... and as you say, they'll only get better and better :) 

3 hours ago, radiant red said:

Home earlier today 👍🏻

Ok, first review on the speakers.. I would normally like to give speakers a bit more time to bed in but there are some obvious and notable things to point out...

Build Quality

Quite simply outstanding. As I said earlier, they have a real solid industrial feel about them and remind me of older ATC models. Heavy and solid best describes the look and the veneer is of good quality. The front baffle is vinyl but has a quality feel and look. Not knowing the price, you could easily mistake these speakers for £1000-£1500 and I can clearly say I have never seen or owned speakers like this for so little money.

Set up

Pretty easy tbh.. being of a conventional design, they are positioned approx 2.5 m apart with a slight toe in and currently around 0.5 m from the rear walls because I have yet to remove and move the other speakers. Best described as in free space. The room is of mixed furnishings and patio window to the left but a solid floor with carpet (see pics above).

Ive placed them on Atacama SL400 stands that are shot filled.

Sound

Ok, the most important part

Music used.. kept simple and known hopefully to most as some maybe able to relate to it.

YELLO.. Touch. Deezer HQ

Gladiator.. Soundtrack. CD

Babyface.. Essential R&B. Deezer HQ

Chris Rea... Road to Hell. Vinyl 

Ill be honest, out the box, they sounded lean, lifeless and un engaged.. anyone expecting a full on top performance out the box, look elsewhere. Obviously I was not. Alan has stated at least 100 hours of run in time and I fully understand that and why.. 

i ran these last night continually face to face with reverse polarity and a big blanket on top to speed up the running in process and definitely when I started this afternoon, it had made a difference!

ok, starting with the Babyface download. This album is so well recorded, it can’t fail to impress on any system but it is full of dynamics, strong bass lines and clear not over recorded vocals.. played it on low level at first and slowly cranked up the volume... what was clear from the start was the tight, full and well controlled bass.. it got my attention pretty quickly! The timing and imagery was also apparent in no small amounts! 

Moving to Gladiator. Not the best recording in the world but allows you to analyse the depth and texture of a recording on good speakers.. I let it play merrily along and bang!! The thuds and speed from the ‘battle’ passage was sublime! Again, it got my attention and yet again, the bass was so tight and controlled it made the ceiling shake!! Now, not all perfect at this time because the treble was quite bright but detailed and almost to the point of turning it down but I stuck with it because having this type of tweeter before, I know how long they take to settle and to be fair, they got better as the album went on. 

Time for YELLO, if you know this Album, you will know that it can be quite demanding on speakers, especially in the bass dept.. control is key and the speakers had that in spades! The mids sounded good with some texture and finesse and the highs were detailed and definitely clear and precise if still a little bright.. Again, my ceiling was shaking! 😜

Moving on to Chris Rea, love this album especially Daytona.. never have I heard a speaker at this price point do Daytona as well as these Kralks.. total control and deep thumping bass but allowing Mr Rea’s vocals to be clear and precise without loss of control.. pretty amazing as it goes.. I couldn’t help cranking up the volume because the speakers maintained control very well.

I am as I type, still playing with all sorts of music to try and catch them out but really I’m actually enjoying the music 🎶 

As these speakers are only a quarter run in, they sound pretty bloody fantastic and given there price point, I think, unheard of.. if they were twice as much or even more, they wouldn’t be out of place... 

I’m going to be playing music for ages to get these up to full potential and then I will be fully happy as they are improving constantly... Are they a Harbeth? No, but at a quarter of the price of the 7s I use to have, they are damn good! Love to rock and boogie and go loud .. once run in, classical will get a test because I know there is more to come!

i think these could be more money and wouldn’t be out of place in the minefield of speakers today. Well done Alan and thanks for the LP 😜

How is TDB-8 with true rock Music? Per Alan TDB-8 works best on rock music(that is the reason why I went with TDB-6 in the end and not with TDB-8)

Believe it or not, they keep improving until well over 100 hours run in. You'll enjoy a lot of wow ! moments, for sure.

Still in love with and amazed by mine.

Depends what you mean by ‘true rock’ music? 

Ive just played Queen BR and they dig deep into the bass lines... top end mellowing slowly

5 minutes ago, mentt said:

How is TDB-8 with true rock Music? Per Alan TDB-8 works best on rock music(that is the reason why I went with TDB-6 in the end and not with TDB-8)

3 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Believe it or not, they keep improving until well over 100 hours run in. You'll enjoy a lot of wow ! moments, for sure.

Still in love with and amazed by mine.

I’m sure I will 👍🏻

Going back to the Regas you can tell that they are well run in and amaze with the cohesion from such a small floorstander but the Kralks give a much bigger presentation and room filling sound

I am tempted by these, but it is deciding on which suits my room best , the 6 or the 8. They certainly look the part.

As an alternative I have been looking at the ATC small standmounts, and Amphion Argons.

Anyone got any direct comparison experience?

Dave 

2 hours ago, kabayiri said:

I am tempted by these, but it is deciding on which suits my room best , the 6 or the 8. They certainly look the part.

As an alternative I have been looking at the ATC small standmounts, and Amphion Argons.

Dave 

Owned ATC Scm 19 for some  time and would go for sure with tdb-6. Tdb-6 has better timing, more organic sound, better prat, more musical in general, deeper bass, faster sound and can be easily driven. ATC scm 19s are truly power hungry in comparison.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kabayiri said:

Dave 

ATC are power hungry for sure... 

My current room (not the one I will end up with) is 15’ by 12’ and the 8s fill the room effortlessly on the end of my Rega Elex-R. 

Unlike other brands, you have 20 days to try... for the sake of £20. Give them a go but you must give them time to bed in... mine are still improving 

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:11, mentt said:

Owned ATC Scm 19 for some  time and would go for sure with tdb-6. Tdb-6 has better timing, more organic sound, better prat, more musical in general, deeper bass, faster sound and can be easily driven. ATC scm 19s are truly power hungry in comparison.

High praise indeed.:)

I'm thinking of upgrading my TDB-2's to TDB-6's but my room is so small (2.5M x 3.25M, sloped ceiling), that I am really worried by being swamped with bass :/

As you can see, it's all rather "near field" listening, which sounds excellent as is -

IMG_20190217_124556.thumb.jpg.43d55437ddd2c52dde770f848801321d.jpg

The speaker does actually fire beside the record rack, not at it :D

Edited by Idlewithnodrive

6 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my TDB-2's to TDB-6's but my room is so small (2.5M x 3.25M, sloped ceiling), that I am really worried by being swamped with bass :/

Tdb-6 have deep, but very controlled bass. In general tdb-6 are very evenly/naturaly voiced and acoustic music has real life organic presentation. My estimate is that they could work in your room, but I would write Alan and ask him to be sure...

It's worth deciding what you hope the upgrade from TDB-2 to 6 will give you.

I have a few speakers which I like when I use them in a 5.5m square lounge, but in my music room they give me too much bass (rock/pop). With acoustic or light jazz or choral work I don't feel any need to change.

That's why I was steering towards TDB-6 rather than 8, but I hope to visit Kralk and hear both.

I was also deciding between tdb-6 and tdb-8 and after some time just asked  Alan for his opinion. He told me that for my room size(22 m2), my music taste( P.J. Harvey , Radiohead, indie music in general  ...) tdb-6 are more suited as tdb-8 are best on rock music...