eddie-baby

Sennheiser HD800s vs Focal Clear anyone compared or own the two, or know any dealers who stock both? + are there any closed back as good as equivalents?

11 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

And thanks for those links Jamie & Complin, some more good information there. And Jamie you seem to be really enjoying the HD800 must be nice experience listening to music through those, as many say they seem to be becoming the benchmark others a judged by.

The HD800's can be a bit marmite as with the wrong source and hot source material they can be a little bright, but the 800s and donut mod have helped temper that. They are undoubtedly one of the most comfortable headphones for long listening sessions too, some like the grado range are excruciating to wear for prolonged periods.  The other great thing about sennheiser too is  they support their product in the long term so spares and pads are available for a long time after they discontinue a product.

You also have not mentioned Stax which are imo still some of the best headphones available. Their entry level headphone and energiser offer tremendous bang for the buck.

10 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

I have had a few nice headphones over the years HD650

I like the 650s as well, I didn't keep mine long or the 600s either but of the two I think I just slightly preferred the 650, might revisit that at some point even or just hold out for the 800/800S. Tried the AKG 701s briefly as well but they weren't for me.  

24 minutes ago, complin said:

The HD800's can be a bit marmite as with the wrong source and hot source material they can be a little bright, but the 800s and donut mod have helped temper that. They are undoubtedly one of the most comfortable headphones for long listening sessions too, some like the grado range are excruciating to wear for prolonged periods.  The other great thing about sennheiser too is  they support their product in the long term so spares and pads are available for a long time after they discontinue a product.

You also have not mentioned Stax which are imo still some of the best headphones available. Their entry level headphone and energiser offer tremendous bang for the buck.

Comfort is such a factor when using headphones, most are fine just to stick on and wear but if you want extended listening sessions for hours and really dig deep into the music (which is why you'd buy a set of headphones like the 800's) then comfort is almost as much a priority as the sound. Oddly I don't think I have even tried a set of 800's on, but apparently just looking at information on the net you could even forget you wearing them, might look a bit of a x walking around Tesco's with them on though :D

And as you say the 800S may be different, a few reviews I looked at seem to come to this conclusion also. Some cheap 800's around now though used and if what Jamie says is achievable then it might be a much cheaper way to get a great set of headphones. I expect they didnt sound terrible without the mod though, they were still the standard before the S came out.

And Stax have come up / been mentioned on Wam before, even some of the much older models, and Im sure they are as impressive. As it is hi-fi technology may have improved but some of the older gear still sounded better.

Sennheiser's advert.

Enjoy sound in perfection they claim. That's why they had to follow them up with the S's :)

Most progress is based on evolution I know but it is a little bit annoying when companies do this, they build the best they claim, then shortly follow it up with an SE version (or whatever)