Carrington

New music recommendations....

Hi there :) Before I start on my first thread, I'd just like to say what a nice bunch of people here on the 'wam :). So, now I've buttered you all up, what I need is some help in expanding my musical horizons. I can be a bit of an obsessive so I focus on just a few albums and play them to death. Consequently I'd lost interest in music. My system was rarely used except for the odd concert on TV. The catalyst was when my speakers gave up after a few decades of faithful service and I went a bit mad with the upgrades. Now my system is in a different league to where it was but, in the most important aspect, the music, I've not budged. I need some inspiration. Right now I'm giving my Radiohead CDs a good workout along with some britpop, Elastica, Echobelly, Portishead. I love PJ Harvey and historically I've enjoyed listening to blues, Pink Floyd, the Strokes, Blondie, Metallica, Hendrix. I don't mind a bit of Suzanne Vega, Madeleine Peyroux, early Fleetwood Mac. Plenty more I'm sure but hopefully you get the idea. So what can you recommend? I'm mostly using CD but is there a streaming service that would be worth considering and why? What equipment would I need?

Thanks very much one and all in advance :)

You may as well work through these introduction to................  threads, they started in 2011 but you may find something you like

• Like 1

I started the ”What are you listening to now”  thread many years ago. It is now in its second or third incarnation. It gives an opportunity to broaden your music horizons, and you start seeing what new music is becoming popular with fellow Wammers. Beware though, it can be expensive.

Edited by jkbmusic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You've got good taste.

I have many albums by everyone on your list except Elastica.

I don't know if you have heard of Fink ?

If not I would definitely give him a listen.

Lots of albums to choose from and he hasn't made a bad one.

This link

https://ninjatune.net/artist/fink

will take you to his record label where you can listen to everything and buy vinyl CD and downloads.

Edited by Drainpipe
Add details
  • Like 1

Also lots of other great bands and artists on ninjatune to listen to.

Edited by Drainpipe

If you have a Spotify , Deezer or Tidal account you could use it in conjunction with the What are you listening to now thread  . Spotify and Deezer have free versions btw.

8 hours ago, Drainpipe said:

You've got good taste.

I have many albums by everyone on your list except Elastica.

I don't know if you have heard of Fink ?

If not I would definitely give him a listen.

Lots of albums to choose from and he hasn't made a bad one.

This link

https://ninjatune.net/artist/fink

will take you to his record label where you can listen to everything and buy vinyl CD and downloads.

Cheers Drainpipe, that does sound interesting, I will check Fink out further :)

Just listening to This Is My Dinner by Sun Kil Moon. Released a few days ago. I really like it.

7 hours ago, Bazzer said:

If you have a Spotify , Deezer or Tidal account you could use it in conjunction with the What are you listening to now thread  . Spotify and Deezer have free versions btw.

My OH has a Spotify account, she says I can have access to it via my tablet but I don't currently have any form of streaming on my system.

1 minute ago, Carrington said:

My OH has a Spotify account

If it's a free account you can't stream anyway , there are other ways but it's a bit long-winded and without knowing your set up it's a thread on it's own .

3 minutes ago, Nagraboy said:

Just listening to This Is My Dinner by Sun Kil Moon. Released a few days ago. I really like it.

Thanks for the recommendation, a quick listen on youtube suggests it might not be for me but I might have another try in the morning when I'm less tired and grumpy :D

I have no spotify account at all, nor any of the other streaming services, and my JRiver media centre on Raspberry Pi can stream only Radio Paradise so far, as far as I know. 

So no streaming service for me, either.  I have so many albums, though, that it is hardly a problem.  If I were to play all my albums it would take so long that I could happily start over again!

I really am not that desperate to add new music unless it is something really outstanding - most of my additions now are classical music too.

I would also add a recommendation for Fink, though.

Edited by bohemian
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bazzer said:

If it's a free account you can't stream anyway , there are other ways but it's a bit long-winded and without knowing your set up it's a thread on it's own .

I am considering a Linn DS of some sort (used though, my pocket depth is not unlimited....) but for now I'm CD and vinyl based although my vinyl use is currently under review....

3 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I have no spotify account at all, nor any of the other streaming services, and my JRiver media centre on Raspberry Pi can stream only Radio Paradise so far, as far as I know. 

So no streaming service for me, either.  I have so many albums, though, that it is hardly a problem.  If I were to play all my albums it would take so long that I could happily start over again!

I really am not that desperate to add new music unless it is something really outstanding - most of my additions now are classical music too.

I would also add a recommendation for Fink, though.

Actually that's a really good point, I ought to look at all the CDs and vinyl I already have, but I will look into Fink.