Spider

SP10 advice

Hi

Marks covered all the bases there. I've added an Art9 since he built it and I am very very happy with the result. It sounds great and I think it looks fantastic too. I'm not a fan of skeletal design plinths regardless of the design I think they all sound a bit light.  I'm not convinced that a plinth with mass is a huge advantage with the SP10 in the same way it makes a big difference with a 301 or 401. But I'm sure some of you would disagree with that. I've had it in slate plinth that had loads of mass and it sounded good but I don't hear any difference in the ply plinth it is just as good.

I like yours Pete it looks superb great job with that plinth and arm it looks great and I'm sure it sounds great too.

I did have the chance to use mine in a two turntable set up with same amps and speakers with a very expensive high end, high mass, belt drive turntable with a linear tracking arm and Decca gold cartridge. To be honest I found them hard to tell apart both sounded superb. Which I was pleased about because I think the Decca in linear tracking arm sounds amazing.

As I said I'm sure some will disagree but I think my SP10 is just right and I'm very happy with it.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Very nice Tim, thanks for the update... and great work Mark too, it looks fantastic :)

• Like 1

Thanks Graham... it does, but the arm is away with Angus for a self inflicted fettle :doh: 
Up to MK7?

15 hours ago, Bigman80 said:

Alphason HSR100. Been there, sold that.

It wasn't as good as all the hype suggested. In fact, I regretted selling my Mission 774.

The AT1010 may not be available in your budget anymore. Seems that since purchase and subsequent write up of my fettled one, prices have gradually risen. Not suggested I did that BTW lol

Last time we enquired it was SME 4 (2nd hand) price,  so it should be better than HRS?

The 774's an oddity,  sounds great but of all the arms I've had (I had 3 at 1 point) no regrets selling them.  Maybe looks,  or build quality or fiddle to set up,  who knows? :geek:xD

Last time we enquired it was SME 4 (2nd hand) price,  so it should be better than HRS?
The 774's an oddity,  sounds great but of all the arms I've had (I had 3 at 1 point) no regrets selling them.  Maybe looks,  or build quality or fiddle to set up,  who knows? :geek:
Never heard a SME4 OR 5. I'd like a listen but it doesn't seem likely.

At one time I had a Mission 774, 774 silver wired, SME 3009 S2 imp, Alphason HRS100 and PMAT1010 in a very small space of time.

The Mission silver wired (by me) was awesome but because the silver was in silk in single core, it was too stiff ultimately.

The superflex wired 774 was it's equal with better flexibility.

The SME wasn't as good imo

The Alphason was probably richer in tone than the 774 but sounded mushy when the tracks got complex.

The PMAT1010 MK5 was by far the best of the bunch and its even better now than ever in its mk6 guise. MK7 is as good as ready I believe and I'll be off for that ASAP.

I think DDD was making the point that a modded pmat AT1010 will cost £1200 which is around the price of a used SME iv.  So it should be a lot better than any of the other arms mentioned as it is around two to three times the cost of any of them.

If the PMAT 1010 was £500 then fair enough but at £1200 it’s hardly a fair comparison.

Edited by Spider
  • Like 1

Another good feature that DDD did to my plinth was to cleverly mount the motor in such a way that it isolates the motor from the arm, all these little things help it to sound it’s very best. I thought this was a really good idea.

Edited by Spider

I don't understand why people don't seem to take this into account.

Isolating an arm on it's own platform, would be my opinion. At least I'd give it a try.

Sent from my K3 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Spider said:

I think DDD was making the point that a modded pmat AT1010 will cost £1200 which is around the price of a used SME iv.  So it should be a lot better than any of the other arms mentioned as it is around two to three times the cost of any of them.

If the PMAT 1010 was £500 then fair enough but at £1200 it’s hardly a fair comparison.

I personally think the Alphason you have is a better arm (I do have a 1010 and also have an 1100 and preferred the 1100).  

For a plinth if you want something light I would go birch ply or if you can find it a nice thick slab of Acrylic (or Corian though I am not sure of the weight of it) . 

Another alternative plinth would be to use a butchers block (or similar) or offcut from solid wood kitchen worktop?. 

With the savings on the arm, if you keep the Alphason on it, you could get three Townsend seismic feet thingys to provide isolation.

Also if you check the lids available on ebay you may be able to make the plinth to the dimensions to fit a nice lid (lots advertised on ebay from Japanese turntables and to fit Linn and Goldring Turntables) and keep dust at bay.  One guy advertising makes them to any size you want but that will probably cost a bit more.   

Sounds like you are gong to have some fun on this - personal view is it looks best in the Obsidian Technics plinth but your choices are many :)  

On 04/09/2019 at 19:50, Spider said:

Ah, i see. Fair point.

I'd take a standard AT1010 over the Alphason i had though, so in my opinion, thats where the money would gi but i also acknowledge that the standard AT1010 is now garnering some recognition and probably is more expensive that the Alphason. 

• Like 1

&title=What's%20yer%20bits'n'bobs%20?%20

Mine in a 20 Kg slate plinth, with an Audiomods arm.

Cracking arms, my next will be an Audiomods 5

On 09/09/2019 at 22:46, Bigman80 said:

Ah, i see. Fair point.

I'd take a standard AT1010 over the Alphason i had though, so in my opinion, thats where the money would gi but i also acknowledge that the standard AT1010 is now garnering some recognition and probably is more expensive that the Alphason. 

From an earlier post where you mention a 'din plug' in connection with your Alphason rewire, do we infer that you rewired the phono leads from the base of the arm and not the internal (dire) VDH silver that came as standard?

Alphason's later HR100 arms had arm damping injected into the wand which makes a full rewire very difficult if you want to go internal. I have seen  an Alphason rewired externally presumably due to this. Luckily my one was the earlier version which Speedysteve rewired tip to toe internally with Hifi Collective silver. Its about as good as the FR64s, better than an Ittock, and arguably will easily compete with an OL Encounter in my experience.

Jack NSM

From an earlier post where you mention a 'din plug' in connection with your Alphason rewire, do we infer that you rewired the phono leads from the base of the arm and not the internal (dire) VDH silver that came as standard?
Alphason's later HR100 arms had arm damping injected into the wand which makes a full rewire very difficult if you want to go internal. I have seen  an Alphason rewired externally presumably due to this. Luckily my one was the earlier version which Speedysteve rewired tip to toe internally with Hifi Collective silver. Its about as good as the FR64s, better than an Ittock, and arguably will easily compete with an OL Encounter in my experience.
Jack NSM
Hi Jack,

Yes, the internal wiring, whatever it was as standard (VDH I believe) and terminated to a din plug in the pillar. My choice to have this work done.

I wasn't a fan of the Monocrystal silver arm wire so used the first iteration of my Tonearm Spotfire cable and things improved greatly.

When I was selling my Alphason, one of the guys originally involved in the design enquired to buy it. Apparently he'd been looking for an original unmolested one. This one had damping in the tube.

He wasn't happy over the phone because I'd dared to cut off the VDH cable. He swore blind it was the best cable about and he didn't react well when I told him it was shit lol.

Told me it was worth a small fortune. I said it was that bad, I put it in the bin lol.

As for silver rewires etc, I'm not of the opinion that silver is as enjoyable as HQ copper. I would have used KAB superflex if I'd rewired it.

On 04/09/2019 at 15:53, Bigman80 said:

The PMAT1010 MK5 was by far the best of the bunch and its even better now than ever in its mk6 guise. MK7 is as good as ready I believe and I'll be off for that ASAP.

so will i,keep me informed please oli.

so will i,keep me informed please oli.
Will do,

From what I have managed to glean, he's managed to source bearing that are not available online and can only be bought from one place in Japan lol. I can't believe how he gets into places water wouldn't lol.

Less resistance, less friction and better sound he tells me.

Exciting but no word on when he'll offer the upgrade.