Paulssurround

Show Us Your Linn System

23 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Nice system Donuk

I see great potential in sound quality improvements, with well placed Gunstig silicon pads under various components and stands  ;-)

So, Paulssaround please suggest some obvious tweaks.  Or are you wanting a couple of nights in York??  :-)  A nice Minster, lots of good restaurants and one of the best hifi shops in the country (Sound Org).  But I would be more likely to bore you about art than hifi.....

I have experimented with the best way of supporting the stands, and have even tried putting some rubber Lego bricks under each layer of the rack.  The Klimax sits on a piece of chipboard sitting on three rubber feet.

You might hate what I have done with Space - the Signatures give quite a lot of good firm bass which I do not want to lose.  So I make the bass notches much smaller than recommended, and pull them around a little bit in frequency.  Also the speakers are quite bright for my ears/room - so I have a couple of treble cut filters adjusted to give the best results.  Which means of course that Space 2 is not much use for me.  I am quite happy with the sound which is punchy but not strident.  Described by an enthusiast as surprisingly valve-like. 

Donuk beautiful downtown York

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Donuk said:

So, Paulssaround please suggest some obvious tweaks.  Or are you wanting a couple of nights in York??  :-)  A nice Minster, lots of good restaurants and one of the best hifi shops in the country (Sound Org).  But I would be more likely to bore you about art than hifi.....

I have experimented with the best way of supporting the stands, and have even tried putting some rubber Lego bricks under each layer of the rack.  The Klimax sits on a piece of chipboard sitting on three rubber feet.

You might hate what I have done with Space - the Signatures give quite a lot of good firm bass which I do not want to lose.  So I make the bass notches much smaller than recommended, and pull them around a little bit in frequency.  Also the speakers are quite bright for my ears/room - so I have a couple of treble cut filters adjusted to give the best results.  Which means of course that Space 2 is not much use for me.  I am quite happy with the sound which is punchy but not strident.  Described by an enthusiast as surprisingly valve-like. 

Hi Donuk,

You are a lucky guy having Sound Org as your Linn dealer. I have great respect for Hamish and the work he does. He is very dedicated to getting the best for his customers.

Yes, I would love to visit York. I was  in your neighbourhood just over a year ago, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds and so on. Probably the best Linn system I ever heard was in Newcastle, with a pair of Komris. Room acoustics were superb and really made the music incredible.

As you are already using devices for vibration control, it may be worth experimenting with an Ikea bamboo chopping block, called the "Aptitlig", under your Klimax, instead of the particle board, and see what you think? They cost about 10 pounds, and if it doesn't work, you have a new chopping block for your kitchen.  :D

Most importantlyI would suggest trying some silicon pads from Ikea, under the feet of each of your electronics, called "Gunstigs". The Gunstigs can be cut up into pieces that fit perfectly under the feet of each electronic component. I would place the Gunstigs under each component, one by one, with listening tests, and see if you are hearing an improvement in sound quality. Please note, moving each piece of electronics to place the Gunstigs underneath the feet, give the cables attached to the back several minutes to relax back into their previous position, before doing the listening tests.

I would try under your Melco as well, and if you have an additional switch or NAS. Please make sure that your ethernet cable from the Melco to the DSM is not near any power cables.

If I visit York, I would be interested to give Space Optimisation a go, as I am confident I could make a few adjustments to smooth out the highs.

Happy listening

19 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Hi Donuk,

If I visit York, I would be interested to give Space Optimisation a go, as I am confident I could make a few adjustments to smooth out the highs.

Happy listening

Thanks for all that Paulssurround...

I will have to visit Ikea.....

If you ever plan to visit these parts again, please pm me!

29 minutes ago, Donuk said:

Thanks for all that Paulssurround...

I will have to visit Ikea.....

If you ever plan to visit these parts again, please pm me!

Thank you for the invitation Donuk.

I think you are in for a real treat when you get the Gunstigs in place, as well as the Aptitlig butcher block (purchase the bigger Aptitlig around 10 pounds), not the cheaper smaller ones

Cheers

Paul

Super Wammer
On 09/01/2019 at 15:26, Donuk said:

If anyone else has speakers that are not in Linn's list of SPACE measured speakers, PM me, its probably possible to get them added like we did for Donuk's Totems  :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 08/01/2019 at 08:58, Tendaberry said:

And more importantly, does it improve the sound quality? :P

I guess it depends on your core values?  🍎

It might sound the pitts 🤪

On 09/01/2019 at 16:05, Paulssurround said:

If you visit York, I will drive down from Newcastle and kidnap you !!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Geoff_UK said:

If you visit York, I will drive down from Newcastle and kidnap you !!

Or I could just jump on a train to visit you.     😉

• Haha 1

I've just joined the wig. It's good to see a few of the knowledgeable characters on here from the linn forum. Hello again.

Geoff uk I'd gladly team up with you to kidnap Paul, it would save him the train fare at least.

• Like 1

The new temporary setup

Linn Unidisc SC
Linn kinos
Linn Chakra C3200
Linn Kabers with kustone bases (bi-wired)

After the first evening of listening I feel like I miss my keilidhs and can’t wait to have the drivers replaced. I feel the c3200 is not really strong enough for the Kabers. My wife however feels that the Kabers sound more refined but have too much treble. (I guess that’s her way of saying there’s less low end outta these speakers)

The Kabers were really really cheap so I jumped on them and if I didn’t like them i’ll gift them to someone who can appreciate them.

c5dce6d644f83d39eb22192efc354bdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, the Kabers do like power :D But they also react positively to careful positioning, so do invest some time there. The Keilidhs are much more forgiving in that department. But long term I would definitely look into getting a 4200 and taking them active, then the Kabers will really shine. And of course they like the best possible sources ;)

Edited by Tendaberry

Yes, the Kabers do like power But they also react positively to careful positioning, so do invest some time there. The Keilidhs are much more forgiving in that department. But long term I would definitely look into getting a 4200 and making them active, then the Kabers will really shine. And of course they like the best possible sources

I have a Majik C5100 and have been wondering if I should try-amping them with the c3200 for the tweeters. Don’t I need 6 channels to drive them aktiv? Or did you mean add a c4200 to my setup?

Yes, you need 6 channels to activate them and I meant adding a 4200. But if you already have a 5100, I would use that one for the bass/mid and the 3200 for the treble.

Yes, you need 6 channels to activate them and I meant adding a 4200. But if you already have a 5100, I would use that one for the bass/mid and the 3200 for the treble.

Sent you a pm

OLD LINN FORUM............Here is a link to the old thread (as of 19/9/2015)............Its very hit and miss what you can view........pages 1 to 4 and the last page OK.........but it would be a long job to sort all 266 pages............thumbnail pictures do not work either..............but its all out there ...........somewhere on the web. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20150919164416/http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=553