Neil Jung

Linn install expertise in Berkshire?

My system comprising LP12 / Ittok / DV20X2 / Rega Apollo, Kairn, Aktiv Klouts, Aktiv Keilidhs doesn’t sound anything like as good as it should. I’ve asked Ronnie from The Sound Gallery to visit and tweak the Klouts, but he doesn’t seem to have the time this side of the end of the world. Can anyone recommend anyone else from this neck of the woods (I’m in sunny Bracknell) who can do the necessary tweaks to make the system sing?

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, Neil Jung said:

My system comprising LP12 / Ittok / DV20X2 / Rega Apollo, Kairn, Aktiv Klouts, Aktiv Keilidhs doesn’t sound anything like as good as it should. I’ve asked Ronnie from The Sound Gallery to visit and tweak the Klouts, but he doesn’t seem to have the time this side of the end of the world. Can anyone recommend anyone else from this neck of the woods (I’m in sunny Bracknell) who can do the necessary tweaks to make the system sing?

Have you thought of putting any non-Linn in the mix...? :minikev:

2 hours ago, Neil Jung said:

If you’re staying with Linn you could do a lot worse than contact Colin Macey at What You See and Hear in Beaconsfield. 

http://www.whatyouseeandhear.com/

01494 681300

Mick

Edited by MickC

22 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Have you thought of putting any non-Linn in the mix...? :minikev:

Not unless it breaks, no!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neil Jung said:

Try Chris at Hidden Systems in Windsor. He travels to clients (I'm on the Isle of Wight), and has extensive experience installing home automation systems as well as hi-fi. I've had excellent service from him on a number of occasions. His web page with all contact details is

https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk

Hope this helps.

David 

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how I get on.

That Dynavector 20X2 on an LP12 and with KEILIDHS? To my old ears, a recipe for pungent bass and closed-in higher-ups - ugh! I know active Keilidhs have a much better tonal balance, but that's pushing it for me I reckon from several hundred miles' distance... How's the deck compared to the CD player? They should ideally balance broadly similar with luck so you can play either in long sessions.

Something you could do yourself - take an Allen key the right size and CAREFULLY check the speaker drivers for a firm but not excessively tight fitting using the SHORT END as the lever to prevent over-torquing the bolts - they do loosen off a bit I remember. The 'grille' comes off easily enough and the neat trims around the driver cones are lightly stuck on.

You're using Kustone bases, right?

The original cables are getting on a bit now and in fairness, if there's a gear issue, no wire will transform it. I don't toe the Linn party line here, but I'll shut up for now on this.

Hope you can find someone to have a listen and make suggestions. I'm hundreds of miles away I'm afraid, but always had a 'thing' for active Keilidh's.

Edited by DSJR

Pungent bass? The bass isn’t very noticeable. I do have the Kustone basses.

Closed in higher ups? Maybe. The treble certainly lacks sparkle.

The system sounds like it has a blanket over it, according to Radiant Red, hence my request for help.

Thanks for taking the time, I will have a look at the drivers.

Apologies, I was going to edit my post above to be less 'confrontational' as regards your cartridge choice. Keilidh's can have a bass issue in passive form which swamps the rather nice midrange they have and fortunately, this is dramatically reduced if not removed in active form. Which tweeter have yours? The mesh covered earlier ones could be 'lively' in Keilidh's and downright acidic in Kabers I remember. the ribbed model was significantly better here.

'Blanket over it' might mean the tweets aren't working. Are they working at all? Some tweeters can lose output over fifteen to twenty years but I'm shooting in the dark here.

Now I show my ignorance of the Klout based active crossovers. Are there 'nominal' settings here? I believe the active cards as in the LK85/140 (etc) had a central nominal setting around a rotary control with steps in this setting, at least for tweeter level. I liked to knock the level back by a notch (any more and it messes with things too much) but with your sources, this may well never be necessary. Whenever you twiddle, best to always keep a record of the original setting.

I seriously hope you get this system working right. Keilidh's were very good in active form I remember and they're well spoiled with the Klouts driving them in my opinion.

P.S. As an aside - and I've no idea what this will do to hf response in this case - Much as I respect the Apollo, it's designed to work into a 47 - 50k input impedance. the Kairn has a 24k input impedance and this may just possibly do things at the audible high frequencies coming from the Apollo - just possibly. The Apollo is never a 'sharp' sounding player, but its loading requirements may alter tonal brilliance a little (I don't know, so a possible shot in the dark here).

10 hours ago, DSJR said:

Now I show my ignorance of the Klout based active crossovers. Are there 'nominal' settings here? I believe the active cards as in the LK85/140 (etc) had a central nominal setting around a rotary control with steps in this setting, at least for tweeter level. I liked to knock the level back by a notch (any more and it messes with things too much) but with your sources, this may well never be necessary. Whenever you twiddle, best to always keep a record of the original setting.

The active cards for Klouts are mono and the settings are controlled by dip switches. 

As a matter of interest Neil, is the system "going off the boil" something you've just noticed?  ie you've sat down, listened and thought "this isn't sounding as it should".  Or have you had it apart and re-assembled it.  Also, have you got bi or tri-active Keilidhs?.

Edited by Ian H

17 minutes ago, Ian H said:

The active cards for Klouts are mono and the settings are controlled by dip switches. 

As a matter of interest Neil, is the system "going off the boil" something you've just noticed?  ie you've sat down, listened and thought "this isn't sounding as it should".  Or have you had it apart and re-assembled it.  Also, have you got bi or tri-active Keilidhs?.

I bought the Kairn, Klouts and Keilidhs from a friend who was moving to streaming. His lounge was wooden floors, not much furniture and had been set up by Ronnie at Sound Gallery. My lounge is carpets and too many soft furnishings and has never sounded as he and I think it should.

I think the Keilidhs are bi-active; there are 2 Klouts and only 2 of the speaker plugs are used.

There is an issue with the Kairn (shushing noise on one channel) that I’m going to get resolved (waiting for John Caswell to have a look) before I get someone in.

Edited by Neil Jung

Super Wammer

@DSJR, I did have a listen to Neil’s system and my opinion was as Neil said. Bass was not there as I would have expected and midrange was almost non existent and the tweeters were working but the sound was far from the clarity I expected too. The speakers were phased incorrectly which we changed and things improved slightly. The Rega worked well despite the Kairn’s settings.

i didn’t have time to look closer and definitely the hissing from one speaker was down to the Klouts. Hopefully when they come back, they will be ok but recommending a dealer near Neil was difficult.

i think the next port of call was to take the amps to a respectable dealer and try them on some Majik’s. Dealer of choice for me would always be Peter at Cymbiosis but Leicester is a bit far. Having said that, worth spending a day with Peter 😇