Jeff S.

Displaced Linn Forum person... Looking for old doc info RE: SPKR 015/5 & 038/2

Hello, I’m not sure I understand the Linn owner forum format yet. I’m just going to use age as my excuse. 

So there was apparently a Linn document (probably internal or dealers only) that discussed the relative merits of SPKR 015/5 and SPKR 038/2. Does anyone know the decision reached in this document? 

Dankeschön!

Jeff

I found this on the Pinkfish forum: "Linn produced a white paper entitled 'Comparison of SPKR 015/5 with SPKR 038/2' which claimed that the then new 038/2 was the closest match to the obsolete 015/5 of any tweeter unit that was currently available to Linn on an OEM basis at the time. As such, 038/2 became the official replacement part for service requirements of SPKR 015/5 - which naturally morphed into 038/2 being considered by dealers as being a not to be missed 'upgrade' that led to rapid depletion of spares."

Ah, ha! Thank you! I discovered today that I have 038/2 tweeters in a pair of keilidhs that I have, and they sound REALLY good. I also have an extra pair of 015/5 tweeters too, but my Keltiks have 015/1 tweeters in them. I was trying to figure out which ones should go in the Keltiks.

I should probably check out the Pinkfish forum.

Thank you, Tendaberry!  --Jeff

Super Wammer

The upgrade thing, dealers or not, is true.  Its a much more cultured sound than the 015 series.

I have to believe this. I didn’t even realize the 038/2‘s were in these Keilidhs that I picked up second hand, but I had noticed that the high end was really fantastic. The high end of the Keilidhs make the Keltiks‘ high end seem shabby. I’ll probably swap the 038/2‘s into the Keltiks and put the spare 015/5‘s in the Keilidhs.

Edited by Jeff S.

8 hours ago, Jeff S. said:

I have to believe this. I didn’t even realize the 038/2‘s were in these Keilidhs that I picked up second hand, but I had noticed that the high end was really fantastic. The high end of the Keilidhs make the Keltiks‘ high end seem shabby. I’ll probably swap the 038/2‘s into the Keltiks and put the spare 015/5‘s in the Keilidhs.

Sounds like a good idea:^

i upgraded to the 038/2,in my Keltiks, the top end was noticeably improved, dead easy to fit,and highly recommended, the 015's sound noisy and harsh, when compared, it was most apparent when i fitted Dynamik power supplies to my 22/50's.

I have not had any luck sourcing 038/2s for my AV5140s. May end up purchasing a pair of Hiqphon OWII-92s which are currently the closest match.

Edited by vicdiaz
Typo

On 23/12/2018 at 00:36, vicdiaz said:

I have not had any luck sourcing 038/2s for my AV5140s. May end up purchasing a pair of Hiqphon OWII-92s which are currently the closest match.

They‘re definitely hard to come by. I only recall seeing one pair come up on eBay in the EU this year and they were pretty overpriced. I only found these because they were in a pair of Keilidhs I bought. I’d be interested to hear of your experience with the Hiqphon tweeters if you buy them.

Well, I wound up having to buy a set of the Hiquphon OW2-92 tweeters myself. I actually blew out one of the 038/2 tweeters today. Yay for me.

The Hiquphon OW1-92 is perhaps the most suitable readily available substitute for passive speakers originally using  the 015 tweeters as the sensitivity is better  matched than with the OW11-92 . In active systems this is less critical as we have control over the respective drive unit levels.