Sign in to follow this  
BillShatnersToupee

My latest cover version: 'Blade Runner'

Some of you might recall from a couple of my previous posts I'm a home recordist / producer and record the odd cover versions and original material, usually synth based. My latest is a cover of 'Blade Runner'.

https://youtu.be/ZDSoaN-8TTY

Thanks for watching!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Some of you might recall from a couple of my previous posts I'm a home recordist / producer and record the odd cover versions and original material, usually synth based. My latest is a cover of 'Blade Runner'.

https://youtu.be/ZDSoaN-8TTY

Thanks for watching!

You can’t beat a good tune 👍

• Upvote 1

How long does it take to do something like that ? Would be interested to know how you actually develop it and the process used. This and some of your other efforts are most impressive.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

How long does it take to do something like that ? Would be interested to know how you actually develop it and the process used. This and some of your other efforts are most impressive.

It’s easy. Just press a few keys, and twiddle a few knobs. How hard can it be? :D

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Thanks very much. Usually about two weeks of evenings, on and off. I spent a couple of nights just making the various 'embellishment' sounds like the sweeps and whooshes. Some of the sounds such as the main arp (first sound you hear) is a preset in one of the synth plugins I bought from a company called Arturia, in fact it was that preset which inspired me to have a go at doing the full track.

During recording, sometimes I build the song section by section complete, sometimes I play one particular part beginning to end and then overdub the other parts all around it. Takes me longer than other keyboard players because I only have one hand, so any two-handed parts such as piano pieces (such as in my Chariots of Fire cover) have to be recorded with the L and R hands separately.

Mrs Toupee unfortunately does not share my interest in either listening to nor creating music. Thankfully my two teenage boys do (this can be a very lonely hobby without anyone to share it with), and both are studying BTEC music technology at a local college.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee
typos
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer

The main theme from ‘Missing’ would be a good one, possibly my favourite Vangelis tune.

• Like 1

Just now, Old Git said:

The main theme from ‘Missing’ would be a good one, possibly my favourite Vangelis tune.

Yeah I covered that 30 years ago when I was but a teenager. Probably time I gave it another whirl. I first realised one of my sons (who are both 16) was just as affected by music as I am when I saw tears rolling down his face first time I played him 'Missing' when he was 13. Said it was the most amazing piece of music he had ever heard. Modern teenager, listens to bands like Biffy Clyro and all the chart crap that passes for music these days, brought to tears by Vangelis.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Yeah I covered that 30 years ago when I was but a teenager. Probably time I gave it another whirl. I first realised one of my sons (who are both 16) was just as affected by music as I am when I saw tears rolling down his face first time I played him 'Missing' when he was 13. Said it was the most amazing piece of music he had ever heard. Modern teenager, listens to bands like Biffy Clyro and all the chart crap that passes for music these days, brought to tears by Vangelis.

There’s just something magical about that tune, for me. A simple theme, yes, but just so wonderful/inspired. Sends shivers up my spine.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
36 minutes ago, Old Git said:

Sorry to hijack your thread, it had to be done :) (Playing that tune, I mean)

Edited by Old Git
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Git said:

Sorry to hijack your thread, it had to be done :) (Playing that tune, I mean)

Don't worry about it. The thread wasn't exactly buzzing with activity. Most people have little interest in music creation. I post my stuff here for the handful of people who do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Don't worry about it. The thread wasn't exactly buzzing with activity. Most people have little interest in music creation. I post my stuff here for the handful of people who do.

And please continue 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1