whitehart

Celtic Folk

I was lucky enough to catch Altan when Frankie Kennedy was still alive, saw them touring the Red Crow album which was spellbinding. 

One of the albums I still listen to from that time was the eponymously named Afterhours - cassette only. Saw the band a few times and think I bought the cassette after a gig.  I've got a better quality rip from the cassette which I ought to upload to Youtube along with a bunch of other folk rarities but the band themselves have put it up on Soundcloud. If you like trad Irish, could be for you...

• Like 1

Has anyone heard the lost classic, Clan Alba? They were an early 90s Scots/celtic super group, and released an eponymous cd album in 1995. There was a certain amount of controversy at the time of the release, the details of which I don't know - it was released as a double cd, though I think wasn't a full 2 cd's worth of music, and priced quite high for the time at around £20 I believe. I think there were issues around distribution, and it seemed to sink without a trace. There's virtually no info on the internet apart from a dicscogs entry, and no copies on eBay at the moment. I've only ever heard one album track, the sublime and brilliant Childhood's End by Dick Gaughan. To some ears this is going to be a bit sickly / overproduced / Clannadish. Its one of my favourite songs in any genre...

Very pleased to see Altan posted in this thread.

This is Daily Growing, pretty much like the more familiarly titled, Trees They Grow Tall you may be familiar with performed by Pentangle and others. This video is not only pleasing to the eye, it also has lyrics showing, so you can follow the dialogue between daughter and father and beyond in completion of the story. Absolutely stunning music this and one of the best versions of this very old tune.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grimep said:

another one from me while I'm here, early 90s again, showing my age... the wonderful Ceolbeg. Bought this one on cassette!

Not heard of Clan Alba before, sadly not on Spotify... really like Ceolbeg, cheers

Mac

10 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

Very pleased to see Altan posted in this thread.

This is Daily Growing, pretty much like the more familiarly titled, Trees They Grow Tall you may be familiar with performed by Pentangle and others. This video is not only pleasing to the eye, it also has lyrics showing, so you can follow the dialogue between daughter and father and beyond in completion of the story. Absolutely stunning music this and one of the best versions of this very old tune.

Brilliant, cheers

Mac

Posted (edited)

@whitehart I think you will also enjoy this Trees They Grow High by Anerican band, Misty River. A lot of their output was wonderful. The harmonising voices, the sounds of the acordions, double bass, etc. I imagine you may already know them, if not check them out. Good for hifi too. The only bad album IMO was a Christmas one that was a bore, otherwise all quite special. They do a mix of folk and country, particularly 'old timey' and bluegrass.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

@whitehart I think you will also enjoy this Trees They Grow High by Anerican band, Misty River. A lot of their output was wonderful. The harmonising voices, the sounds of the acordions, double bass, etc. I imagine you may already know them, if not check them out. Good for hifi too. The only bad album IMO was a Christmas one that was a bore, otherwise all quite special. They do a mix of folk and country, particularly 'old timey' and bluegrass.

Listening to Stories now... excellent!... only heard the Christmas album before

Will suggest them on the Americana section.  If you like them, expect you would like The Honey Dewdrops.

Ma

Posted (edited)

I must myself post in tbe Americana section. I intended to but am only quite recently back from a five month hiatus sulking, like this :  :wall:

Like anything else there's good and bad and in the case of Stories, while there are some great tracks, there's better overall awaiting you on some earlier albums.

On Stories, check out the Chinese one, Gan Lan Shu - I think that's amazing.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.
  • Like 1