midband

ebay seller cancels my win

More than is worth it usually, think it's better to just start the auction at the minimum you're willing to accept. No problems that way.

• Upvote 1

Why didn't he just put a reserve price on the thing he was selling then if it didn't reach his minimum reserve price then this would of not happen and he would of protected himself and not disappoint his buyers who think they are getting a bargain .

I think Ebay charges to put a reserve price on whatever your selling now so maybe this was his reason he did not have a reserved price but wrong anyway what's happened as he was under contract to sell goods 

Edited by Blacksabbath25

Dealer
2 hours ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

Why didn't he just put a reserve price on the thing he was selling then if it didn't reach his minimum reserve price then this would of not happen and he would of protected himself and not disappoint his buyers who think they are getting a bargain .

I think Ebay charges to put a reserve price on whatever your selling now so maybe this was his reason he did not have a reserved price but wrong anyway what's happened as he was under contract to sell goods 

Ebay make a hefty charge for adding a reserve...and a lot of ebay buyers don't like bidding on items that have a reserve. As a business seller you either attract bidders with a low starting price and then take the rough with the smooth as some items under perform and some over perform, or you start with the lowest price you'll take but understand that there is less chance of getting a 'flier'.

You tend to judge it item by item. Some things you can safely start at 99p, knowing you'll get loads of interest. Other things may be the bees knees to just a few people, so start them at the lowest price that is still palatable. If the seller is telling the truth about his reason for cancelling the sale then he has no reason to change the starting bid when he relists.

If the seller is telling the truth about his reason for cancelling the sale then he has no reason to change the starting bid when he relists.

He claimed the buyer cancelled, which wasn't the case.

3 hours ago, TIU said:

Why doesn't the seller set a reserve FFS? How much does that cost?

Items with a high reserve usually attract less bids. As the winning bid was £2,000 I believe then the reserve will be high. To get the best price you want as many bidders as possible. I've seen many items not even get any bids if the reserve is too high. So it could cost quite a bit.

SO you might as well put a realistic starting  price right from the start of the auction and not a unrealistic price 

8 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

SO you might as well put a realistic starting  price right from the start of the auction and not a unrealistic price 

Not really, again you will deter bidders. If you start at say £2,000 not many may bid. If you start at £1,000 you may get much more interest. If only 2 bidders it only takes 1 to drop out. I'm sure you have seen auctions on TV, sometimes people get carried away. Often there are no bids to start with, so the price is dropped right down until someone bids, often the price is soon zooming up past the initial bid price.

• Upvote 1

Dealer
33 minutes ago, TIU said:

He claimed the buyer cancelled, which wasn't the case.

I thought it was that some other bidders had been blocked?

22 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

I thought it was that some other bidders had been blocked?

That's not how I read the first three sentences of post #1.

Dealer
On 27/10/2018 at 23:03, midband said:

The sellers excuse is that there was suspicion that some bidders were blocked. That I don't buy.

I was referring to this bit of your OP

42 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

I was referring to this bit of your OP

It's only the winning bid that matters. midband wasn't blocked. How do blocked members bid anyway?

'The Hagen is made with highest quality workmanship. The surface is coated with real piano lacquer and gives this premium speaker it's wonderful look.'

Premium speakers but lazy English. (it's should be its.)

Edited by TIU

Super Wammer

eBay cannot force the seller to sell, it is not a proper auction site, 

in a real auction the seller pays a fee and so does the buyer after the auction plus vat , ,

i had the same problem , all eBay will do is ban the seller for 30days, or give him a warning , most of the stuff on eBay now is from china as long as they have some one in the uk they can register as a uk seller , and that applies for any one who is selling on eBay ,  a lot of well known dealers are on eBay ,who need a way of selling there used items ,if it does not get the price they want i suppose they will just say it is broken , and ebay will let them off ,