midband

ebay seller cancels my win

On Friday I won on a bid for some speakers at £2000. I paid via ebay with my credit card. Hours later ebay sent me an email saying seller gave the reason for the cancellation as 'Buyer asked to cancel the order' which is nothing of the sort. My guess is that it sold too low as it is practically new & the RRP is £6k so the seller backed out. The seller is a dealer with 100% rating on 115 sales!
Obviously I'm gutted. The sellers excuse is that there was suspicion that some bidders were blocked. That I don't buy. I suppose there's nothing I can do except complain to ebay.

What a bull**** excuse, it obviously didn't meet his expectations. he has made it look like you want to cancel the order to get out of the final value fee, i would reiterate to eBay that it wasn't your choice to cancel the order and hope he gets a £200 bill. 

Name him - maybe there are more problems. 

• Upvote 1

The same thing happened to me a few years ago when I won a Technics turntable too cheaply. There was nothing I could do. It was a seller from Hungary who still sells decks.

Name and shame...

Happened to me as well, seller said he dropped the item when packing it up. Wouldn't send photos of damage though!

If you can, send a man weighing around 150kilos of solid muscle, about 1.9M tall & with an aggressive attitude to go have a chat for you... Pay in cash.

My guess is this is the original listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183488953734?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

And now re-listed w/out a reserve price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183507649361?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

• Like 1

Well tracked Gareth, it's the Voxativ Hagen. Audio Barn originally listed it previously BIN £3000. Their quarters are luxuriously decked out including a coveted  Porsche Carrera with appropriate no. plates.  Some wheeler dealer!

20 hours ago, midband said:

On Friday I won on a bid for some speakers at £2000. I paid via ebay with my credit card. Hours later ebay sent me an email saying seller gave the reason for the cancellation as 'Buyer asked to cancel the order' which is nothing of the sort. The sellers excuse is that there was suspicion that some bidders were blocked. That I don't buy. I suppose there's nothing I can do except complain to ebay.

As you appear to have paid with credit card, any purchase you make via this medium over a threshold of £100 is covered by law and under section 75 you might be able to make a claim as the seller reneged on the contract of sale. eBay also has rules. I'd speak to your credit card company and ask their claims dept. regarding this odious outcome, ask the seller for his details of any suspicious blocking of bids and for proof that you were happy to cancel the bid. Always ask for details via letter or email, you need that paper trail of correspondence.

With this information you might be able to force the situation and still win. Not your problem if the item sold too low as that's the imbalance of auctions. Although I'm a bit confused as to why they cancelled your bid and now put it to another auction? Still read up on credit card purchases protection under section 75 law. MSE has good info here...

:^

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danielquinn said:

As for the sale. That's just the way it is.

That's what most will think but doesn't eBay's T&C's consider a winning bid as a form of contract? If one disagrees with the outcome, surely there is recourse?

I would only use eBay as a last resort. I couldn't be arsed with the potential problems that could result from sales or purchases. 

Recently I gave a SME 3012 away on the "spirit of xx" because I couldn't be sure it was perfect I just knew I would get scammed. It turned out it needed a rewire with Johnnie 7 so result for both of us. It sounded great at Settle. 

Same site, I was given a broken Ortofon Cabenza Black cartridge which I recycled with Henley. Saved me a good few quid. 

And just got a great headphone amp freebe too. Brilliant! Free.

I also gave away a Linn lp12 sub-chassis with decent arm board after the Kore upgrade.

And a Valhalla that had been recently repaired by Class A after the Lingo 3 upgrade. 

The "Spirit of the Wam" used to be great on here. 

Ditch eBay and use the various forum's classified and Spirit pages. 

The guy posts on Pink Fish Media if I remember rightly, he is a bit of a tool. 

If you inform eBay of it, they will give him a weeks suspension for breach of contract and ebay t'c's. I'd definitely do it.

The reason he chose 'buyer asked to cancel order' is so he dosent get a defect on his eBay metrics - I'd make sure they are aware of this and leave negative feedback. This behaviour really does wind me up.

Theres another dealer in London that does the same, he seems to have an infinite supply of Vitus (i think) power cables as well, that all seemed to have been 'traded' in for a mains distribution...I smell an alibaba rat..

Edited by The Chronicals