Kegworth Show Information

THE WAM HIFI SHOW 2019 - Exhibitor Rooms All Now Full

Show Opens At 10am This Sunday - £15 On The Door (No Card Facilities/CASH ONLY)
Super Wammer Members Entrance Fee is £10 (Must Show Proof Of Membership and Forum Name eg. Print Out Of Forum Profile)

ROOM ALLOCATIONS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KSQoBqqBYbZWVFBU6oX8u5kM-FPGsxl4uQMaTx_iu6k/edit?usp=sharing

plasticpenguin

Bowie: Will we ever see his like again?

As per the title, just watching Bowie at Glastonbury 2000. Have 8 albums of his, and I don't particularly like all of them... when they are good, they are wonderful. Love or lothe him no one can disagree with Bowie's inventiveness....As a pure songwriter the only person IMHO who comes close is Elvis Costello. Both have reinvented themselves so many times, but as I've found out there isn't much love on here for Costello. Ho-hum.

Discuss.

Agree regarding Bowie, not sure about Elvis though as I've never been a massive fan except for a few of his hits.

Not aimed at you PP so don't take it personally but I loathe the term 'reinvented', what does it actually mean? All these damned singers 'reinventing' themselves makes me sick. Surely it's just someone maturing or trying something different/changing with the times.

34 minutes ago, DougK said:

Agree regarding Bowie, not sure about Elvis though as I've never been a massive fan except for a few of his hits.

Not aimed at you PP so don't take it personally but I loathe the term 'reinvented', what does it actually mean? All these damned singers 'reinventing' themselves makes me sick. Surely it's just someone maturing or trying something different/changing with the times.

I deem the word "reinvent" as someone who's not adverse to change either musical styles or image or both.

Nope, never be a replacement for Bowie, ever. I also share your love for Mr Costello, a very clever and intelligent songwriter, just not the commercial appeal of Bowie.

• Like 1

David was a One off the likes of will never be seen again.

I'm a big fan of  Elvis but totally different.

10 hours ago, Drainpipe said:

David was a One off the likes of will never be seen again.

I'm a big fan of  Elvis but totally different.

Not as different as you might think: Both have distinctive songwriting styles, both have used various pseudonyms... and both have had image changes over the decades.