thematikma

Linn DSM Subwoofer integration

Hi at all,

I'm an quite new Linn owner and discovered this brand just a few Months ago. Now that I've got my Majik DSM, I wonder how to connect a subwoofer properly? If the pre outs are activated via management, the analoque speaker outputs will be switched off. 

So do I understand this right, that the only ways would be to go exakt or daisy chain with an external power amplifier?

PS The new web based Space Optimisation is really impressive! 

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

It depends on how you are using the Majik. If you have it as a pre-amp with a separate power amp, you'd daisy chain the sub off the power amp (assuming it has line outs). If you're using the internal power amp, then the pre-outs are free for the sub to use (just substitute "power amplifier" for "subwoofer" in the below from the manual):

"ANALOGUE OUTPUTS (RCA, variable level) - To connect to a preamplifier (or power amplifier when internal volume control is enabled) with unbalanced (RCA) analogue inputs."

It also depends on the sub. Some have Hi Level inputs that you can run from the speaker outputs of an amp. I find that the best way.

Question regarding the above.....

I have my DSM connected to my Majik 4100 via pre-outs to audio ins channel 1 and 2.

I want to connect subwoofer via the audio outs on 4100. When. I ran rca’s from channel 1 and 2 to sub, the signal to my left Akudoric was cut off. 

I pulled one rca out, restored speakers.

is it sufficient to run 1 rca from channel two audio out , to the subwoofer?

I have no speaker terminals unused as I have the 4 channels on 4100 driving mids and lows on Akudoriks, 2 channels from dsm driving the tweeters.

thanks

7 hours ago, Fester said:

Totem acoustics Storm

The behavior you describe seems strange. If correctly connected. ¬¬ Running the sub on one channel will work I think but it is dependent on the mix if all bass information is available in one channel (left or right). So there’s a risk that you are missing something out. 

Presumptions: You are tri-amping the Akudoriks but the are not running them in active mode. You are daisy chaining the amps. Correct? I see some different pictures on the rear control panel of that sub. But it seems that all of them have the possibility to be used for high level input. Could it be a viable solution to feed the sub via high level inputs instead? If my presumptions are right the bass information should be available at all speaker outputs on your amps.

/HansBertil 

Yes, correct.. passive akudoriks,  triamped. So no speaker connections available for sub. My dealer connected the 4100 to the dsm, there is a linn rca running from 2 of the audio outs. I assume part of the dsm connections. 

When i connect an rca to a remaking unused out, it feeds the subwoofer fine and both akudorics are fed a signal. When I connect another rca to a remaining out on another channel, one akudoric loses its signal.

Mysterious.

Agreed. A mystery. What if you swap cables to the sub, does the other Akudorik go into silence then? That should point at a faulty cable. If not the sub may be faulty on that input.