gasolin

What is your opinion, experience with pa vs hifi systems?

If i where to keep my speaker i would like to have more power.

If i bought different more effecient speakers i wouldn't have to buy a new amplifier.

Super Dealer

Why not just buy some active speakers, better sound quality and you never need concern yourself with amps ever again.

Keith

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

He likes high volumes with lots of bass, would the cubes work?

I like a bit bass at high (and low levels), my dynaudios do a very good job playing edm BUT because of the amount of bass i will sometimes be pushing my amp close to it's limited and music won't sound as good as it can.

I want more power to get closer to what my speakers can handle (spl,bass) without exceeding there limit, since distortion easily can damage first the tweeter and than the bass/midrange,  i need,want more than i have now but also a bit more then that .

If i need 50% more watt i might need 100% or more, so 50% more power isn't the amps limit. Relative to what i have i think 50% more is okay so around 120 watt.

Therefor i asked the question about pa amps with hifi speakers and hifi amps with pa speakers, beacuse, pa speakers often have high sensitivity and some hifi speakers like my 84 db speakers need, i guess atleast 100 clean watt for a good allround power,sweetspot for power, also to here if any use a combination of pa and hifi to hear your experience using pa and hifi.

Also remember 100 watt 84 db is no more then 25 watt (tube amp or small nad amp) and 90 db sensitive speakers and that is not alot since many 90 db speakers can handle around 100 watt, even the small klipsch reference R-41 (4" woofer) is rated at 90 db 50 watt and 200 watt peak power (50 watt nad amp ;-) )

I have a wide music taste i like bb king, eric clapton,pink floyd, dire straits,depeche mode, pet shop boy,dave brubeck,oscar petterson but also something like this (sounds good even when i don't play it loud, but impressive at high levels despite only having small speakers and 2x 60 watt)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Why not just buy some active speakers, better sound quality and you never need concern yourself with amps ever again.

Keith

Aye,

Source, active speakers; dead simple, you've cracked it!

In this case, actives do seem the logical solution.

Buy a second hand Rotel pre power combo and then when you can afford it buy a second power and run them as monos. 

I've used a RC and RB combo with not very efficient speakers to play my music loud (drum and bass, rock/metal and reggae) for my early 20s, it was never not loud enough or distorted.

Edit: Not sure how easy they are to come by in Denmark though. Up on eBay every week in the UK.

Edited by J Macquarrie

9 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

I had this problem when i had Yamaha HS7 

This i have experienced alot of times 

I don't get these problem using a normal amplifier with passive speakers and i don't have money to buy a pair of active speaker for something like 1000 dollars,pounds,euros (someone asked if have tried more expensive active speakers, shortly after that i mentioned i have had a pair of adam audio a5x)

Edited by gasolin

Super Dealer

I have never encountered either of those problems with any of the active loudspeakers I have used, perhaps save up for something decent.

Gearslutz classifieds perhaps.

Keith

4 minutes ago, J Macquarrie said:

Buy a second hand Rotel pre power combo and then when you can afford it buy a second power and run them as monos. 

I've used a RC and RB combo with not very efficient speakers to play my music loud (drum and bass, rock/metal and reggae) for my early 20s, it was never not loud enough or distorted.

Have had such a pair (rotel), they generally sounded bright and lasted no longer than 10-12 years or so, mabye they couldn't handle the high load my speakers where hifi-gemmen-tiden_.jpg

4 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I have never encountered either of those problems with any of the active loudspeakers I have used, perhaps save up for something decent.

Gearslutz classifieds perhaps.

Keith

I have, most active speakers have some kind of hiss and the yamaha hs7 interference is why i don't have a pair. Non of those problems using passive speakers and a normal hifi amplifier

Fair enough, mine never sounded bright to me (or the neighbours haha) but good luck with your search.

16 minutes ago, gasolin said:

Have had such a pair (rotel), they generally sounded bright and lasted no longer than 10-12 years or so, mabye they couldn't handle the high load my speakers where hifi-gemmen-tiden_.jpg

Maybe your speakers were bright.

Interesting reference to the use of the McIntosh MC-2300 by the Grateful Dead - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_MC-2300

Does anyone know if this amp was designed for PA or high end domestic audio?

I have also seen McIntosh valve amps in use in old GD photos. Anyone know of this?

6 minutes ago, dhlshovel said:

Interesting reference to the use of the McIntosh MC-2300 by the Grateful Dead - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_MC-2300

Does anyone know if this amp was designed for PA or high end domestic audio?

I have also seen McIntosh valve amps in use in old GD photos. Anyone know of this?

Not old enought to have had the chance of hearing this sound system