radiant red

Record cleaners

I’ll have a look 👍🏻

Super Wammer

I’ve been using the project VC S for a couple of years now and the results are excellent well worth the money. It’s bloody noisy so I’ve always got the headphones on listening to music lol. 

I always replace the inner sleeves new or old with paper/poly sleeves from cover 33 for added protection. 

• Like 1

My Moth was from the first batch ever made,circa early 90's,it needs a bit of a push start to get it rotating,but apart from changing the pads it still works fine,but as mentioned it's bloody noisy.

Having spent >30 years working in water treatment,I would never use DI as there's far to many impurities in the water,I would use this grade as a minimum https://www.pureklenz.co.uk/purified-water-25-litre/ as it's made to a defined standard's,DI generally is not.

My mix is 1-4 IPA to water with a couple of drops of dishwasher rinse aid,on really badly soiled disc's I would use a 1-3 mix.This has worked fine for me on probably the best part of 3K LP's.I did try L'art but as many have noted it goes cloudy and left a surface residue which required an additional rinse with water.

On 23/10/2018 at 04:31, mickbald said:

My solution is very similar - bit less Ilford Ilfotol (2.00 ml) and 2.5ml of L'Art du Son. 

And definately the new record inner sleeves. 

Same here except I use demineralised water and a drop of dish washing liquid as the surfectant.

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, crisis said:

Same here except I use demineralised water and a drop of dish washing liquid as the surfectant.

Is ‘dish washing liquid’ something like Fairy for hand washing, or a dishwasher machine product?   

23 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Is ‘dish washing liquid’ something like Fairy for hand washing, or a dishwasher machine product?   

The problem with washing liquid is that it does not guarantee no residue being left - unlike Ilfatol which was used to wash the chemicals off photographs and leave no smears or stains.  It is for that reason that Ilfatol is the recognised best surfecant.  A bottle only costs £14 and will last you for ages and ages 

Super Wammer

Or try this xD

10 minutes ago, Beyond you said:

Or try this xD

Dangeous stuff- it attracts dust and it sticks and is a bitch to clean off  .. if you value your record collection do not .. I repeat DO NOT try this

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Beyond you said:

Or try this xD

OMG. How to trash a ghastly record!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, uzzy said:

The problem with washing liquid is that it does not guarantee no residue being left - unlike Ilfatol which was used to wash the chemicals off photographs and leave no smears or stains.  It is for that reason that Ilfatol is the recognised best surfecant.  A bottle only costs £14 and will last you for ages and ages 

Yes I have seen that mentioned and also Rinse Aid crops up as well as Isopropyl Alcohol. Here is one recipe: 800ml distilled water, 200ml Isopropyl Alcohol and 5ml of Ilford Ilfatol. I would not use washing up liquid, some harsh chemicals and difficult to get rid of any residue. 

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

Yes I have seen that mentioned and also Rinse Aid crops up as well as Isopropyl Alcohol. Here is one recipe: 800ml distilled water, 200ml Isopropyl Alcohol and 5ml of Ilford Ilfatol. I would not use washing up liquid, some harsh chemicals and difficult to get rid of any residue. 

I would use Methyl in preference to Isopropyl .. in my experience I have found Isopropyl to not work as well .. and I would stay clear of Rinse Aid or any household cleaning products/

Super Wammer

Just one more for a laugh

16 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Pretty much the mix I use and it works superbly.

For really grubby records, I up the Iso ratio a little. Ilfatol is the key here. There is really no substitute, as is is designed to aid the removal of liquids without leaving any residue.

• Upvote 1