radiant red

Record cleaners

15 minutes ago, lazycat said:

It's a very stripped down Nitty Gritty. And fits into a shoe box when not in use.

Oh. It works well and I haven't heard any reason to 'upgrade'.

I’ve just watched the video... very simple but looks effective... not sure I would want to use my TT in the application but I’m sure there is a way round that.

4 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Every cartridge and record is valuable to me... but £300! it'll be cheaper to replace the cartridge, stylus and record.

what all 12 albums

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’ve just watched the video... very simple but looks effective... not sure I would want to use my TT in the application but I’m sure there is a way round that.

Not sure what video you've watched but my t/t goes nowhere near any fluids or the cleaner. Probably some weirdo.

After google - yup some lazy weirdo. It's hand turned on a small disc. Sometimes google is not your friend.

• Like 1

Spider on this forum builds and sells these and from what I hear they are damn good.

https://ibb.co/dFUvgn

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/127148-homemade-ultrasonic-vinyl-cleaner/?page=4

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

what all 12 albums

Nah. 15.

24 minutes ago, Hap Hazzard said:

Spider on this forum builds and sells these and from what I hear they are damn good.

https://ibb.co/dFUvgn

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/127148-homemade-ultrasonic-vinyl-cleaner/?page=4

I’ve just mailed him 👍🏻

Thanks 

Thanks for all your help guys.. looking at everything.

seriously need some albums cleaned!

Super Wammer

+:^ for Spiders Ultrasonic. Really gets them sparkling clean even Charity shop ones. Much better than my vacuum jobbie and much quieter. Almost dry when they come out and if you are impatient one of those cheap Aldi/Lidl window vacs takes of the last drips from the lower edge as it comes out of the machine.

19 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I got a Pro-Ject VC-S mkII recently. My review of it is here:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/128243-pro-ject-vc-s-mkii-a-mixed-bag/

I got a VC-S earlier this year but didn't have the quality issues that Gaffer had. However, it is noisey but then again they all are but on the VC-S I can hear chains or cogs moving in what i suspect is a crude gearbox or something and that thing adds noise to the vacuum. That said, it works well and produces a better result than the Knosti(s) I had been using; the fluid works well (tho not tried it heated yet) so happy to recommend it. I got mine from Juno Records @299. The supplied brush had to be returned for shedding too much bristle and Juno dealt with that very well. I use that brush for rinsing only. I brought a double row Tonar brush and it dropped out 3 clumps of bristles !!!!. Thats been replaced by Digitalis (ebay) without argument.  

Super Wammer

Re the Pro-ject cleaner, last year I attended one of Ortofon’s cartridge tours. They played about ten different LPs during the demo, and they were as quiet as anything I’d ever heard.  I asked about cleaning because nothing was done in front of us.  The chap said they’d used the Pro-ject cleaner before leaving base but otherwise had done nothing. 

Based on that, and the reports that the latest model is less noisy, I’d be very tempted.  That said, I’m a great believer that less is more for most records, because all too often, cleaning simply adds muck or charges up the static.  However, a few second hand purchases and some I inherited could definitely do with a good clean, hence the temptation.  The Ultrasonic jobbie does look good though.  

17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Based on that, and the reports that the latest model is less noisy

I have to say are you bothered if a record cleaning machine is noisy? 

Except for the marathon, when I first got my machine and cleaned the hundreds of LPs in long cleaning sessions, thereafter you clean one or two records every now and then.  Do you worry about the noise of a hoover when cleaning the house?

As long as it is not deafening (which I believe none of them are) and as long as it gets the records clean who gives a f..k :sofa:

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, uzzy said:

I have to say are you bothered if a record cleaning machine is noisy? 

Except for the marathon, when I first got my machine and cleaned the hundreds of LPs in long cleaning sessions, thereafter you clean one or two records every now and then.  Do you worry about the noise of a hoover when cleaning the house?

As long as it is not deafening (which I believe none of them are) and as long as it gets the records clean who gives a f..k :sofa:

Ha, I was trying to be tactful!  The earlier one was supposed to sound dreadful, enough to make you wonder if was working ok.  But you’re right, it wouldn’t bother me. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I bought the pads based on Uzzy's recommendation (he linked in an earlier post) and they really are very good. At something like £3 each they're a very worthwhile investment.

• Upvote 1

I have found that new pressings are pretty dirty and don’t think the same level of care is given in final preparations... 

ive had fingerprints on new ones and strange smears over the grooves.

I used to clean mine with a Knosti Disco Antistat which at the time I thought did a pretty good job of cleaning charity shop purchases.

However, I was lucky enough to snap up a second hand Clearaudio Smart Matrix and the difference that made to the LPs I'd cleaned with the Knosti was night and day. Noise floor was lowered considerably and hardly any surface noise. Probably one of my best hi-fi investments, and it cleans in minutes, no faffing around.