radiant red

Record cleaners

10 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I'd spend more. I have well over 1000 LPs and a valuable cartridge. Preserving both is worth at lot more than £300 to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've got a Moth II which I'm very pleased with. Bought it second hand for £250 on eBay and share it with a mate. I also have an ultrasonic from Spider which has cleaned some very old records the Moth couldn't manage. I use the Moth to dry the records after washing them with the ultrasonic. 

• Like 1

+1 for Pro-Ject vc-s. Easy to use and cleans records in minutes and ready to play without waiting to dry on a rack.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mickbald said:

I've got a Moth II which I'm very pleased with. Bought it second hand for £250 on eBay and share it with a mate. I also have an ultrasonic from Spider which has cleaned some very old records the Moth couldn't manage. I use the Moth to dry the records after washing them with the ultrasonic. 

This is a great idea, there's no need to clean records very often - once only should be fine. Split the cost between a few mates and share it around.

51 minutes ago, mickbald said:

That’s a good idea... get someone to share the costs with you... 👍🏻

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Thanks for this Gaffer.

wondering if it’s still the same now? Does seem bad from Pro-ject 

Well I only got mine 3 months ago so I doubt anything's has changed - their poor build quality is balanced out by the good cleaning.

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Open to all suggestions...

ive had records cleaned before on a cleaner and haven’t seen anything less that equals it unfortunately 

There was a record cleaner on here a while ago I seem to remember. I think you had to use your own hoover.

Super Wammer

Okki Nokki RCM does a decent enough job for me and when I have sufficient funds, I'll be grabbing on of Spiders ultrasonic jobbies too...  :) 

I've been using one of these for years and can recommend it - only as loud as your vacuum cleaner..

which is usually pretty loud.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ev1.htm

37 minutes ago, lazycat said:

I've been using one of these for years and can recommend it - only as loud as your vacuum cleaner..

which is usually pretty loud.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ev1.htm

I’ll look into that 👍🏻 Does all sizes of vinyl too!

The Project looks good value (and a direct rip off of an Okki Nokki).

I have an Okki Nokki and I am very pleased with it - especially if you use these brushes to get the fluid right down into the grooves (I also found improved results from warming the liquid slightly in the microwave so that it is warm to touch (not boiling .. think washing up in cold water compared to warm water).  

The Brush I use has millions of tiny mohair fibres to get right into the groove https://www.tilinglogistics.co.uk/Brushes-Pads/Sealer applicator and paint application pad   It works so much better than the goats hair jobby that comes with the Okki Nokki.

I also make my own fluid as follows

To make 1/2 (half) Litre.

400ml Triple Distilled Water
100ml Methyl Alcahol.
2.5ml of Ilford Ilfotol. 

New decent quality microfibre cloths (after vacuuming I lift gently place the cloth on the record as I lift the vacuum tube whilst the record is still spinning to ensure there is absolutely no liquid remaining on the record.

Job done

The water is available online (i got a few gallons of the stuff for not a lot of money).  People will say just use distilled or deionised but triple distilled lab quality is what they use for laboratory experiments as it has absolutely no contaminants in it.

Methyl Alcohol I got from ebay (I find the results better than using Ethyl Alcohol)

Ilfatol   ... is a wetting agent and vital (think of it as washing up liquid but with no residue) and I got it online for about £14 for the smallest bottle I could get which will last you a lifetime I should think. 

MAKE SURE YOU GET NEW RECORD SLEEVES to use after cleaning - the old ones may be contaminated.

Edited by uzzy
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’ll look into that 👍🏻 Does all sizes of vinyl too!

It's a very stripped down Nitty Gritty. And fits into a shoe box when not in use.

Oh. It works well and I haven't heard any reason to 'upgrade'.

3 hours ago, rabski said:

I'd spend more. I have well over 1000 LPs and a valuable cartridge. Preserving both is worth at lot more than £300 to me.

Every cartridge and record is valuable to me... but £300! it'll be cheaper to replace the cartridge, stylus and record.

40 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I also make my own fluid as follows

To make 1/2 (half) Litre.

400ml Triple Distilled Water
100ml Methyl Alcahol.
2.5ml of Ilford Ilfotol. 

New decent quality microfibre cloths (after vacuuming I lift gently place the cloth on the record as I lift the vacuum tube whilst the record is still spinning to ensure there is absolutely no liquid remaining on the record.

MAKE SURE YOU GET NEW RECORD SLEEVES to use after cleaning - the old ones may be contaminated.

My solution is very similar - bit less Ilford Ilfotol (2.00 ml) and 2.5ml of L'Art du Son. 

And definately the new record inner sleeves.