radiant red

Record cleaners

1 minute ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

I have an Okki Nokki II and it is entirely adequate.

You also have about 400 pairs of speakers so quite where you put the okki is a mystery lol

• Haha 3

It seems to me from looking at reviews there is not a lot of difference in efficiency between vacuum record cleaners. The Okki Nokki, Moth and Project are all very similar but there is a difference in build quality.  The Project has the advantage of having a small platter to stop contamination when you turn the record over but is probably the cheapest construction but that is reflected in the price.

I'm not totally convinced that applying a cleaning fluid to the surface of the record with a brush and vacuuming it dry will remove all the ingrained dust and dirt in a record grooves but at least it will remove dirty water from the surface.

The ultrasonic cleaner I'm sure would give a much superior clean than the vacuum however it does leave the record wet and it means having a drying rack. The other concern with the ultrasonic is that if several records are cleaned in succession then surely the record is being cleaned in dirty fluid? I suppose it would be best the rinse the record in distilled water after being in the ultrasonic bath.

I suppose its best to have both ultrasonic and vacuum cleaners but due to finances that isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, AntA said:

.....The Okki Nokki, Moth and Project are all very similar but there is a difference in build quality.  The Project has the advantage of having a small platter to stop contamination when you turn the record over but is probably the cheapest construction but that is reflected in the price......

The Project VC-S mk2 has a slight improvement in finish over the original.

The recent price drop and a brief glimpse of what looked suspiciously like a much better looking record cleaner, in one of the Munich High-End YouTube videos, suggests to me that a replacement for the VC-S mk2 may be appearing soon.

On 15/06/2019 at 13:00, AntA said:

I'm not totally convinced that applying a cleaning fluid to the surface of the record with a brush and vacuuming it dry will remove all the ingrained dust and dirt in a record grooves but at least it will remove dirty water from the surface.

Well that could be the case if you did not use a brush to get into the grooves (bit like a washing up brush when doing the dishes - just leave the plates in the soap suds and it will hardly get them clean) and have an effective cleaning solution  .. and of course the better the brush the more crud (if not all) is extracted from the grooves.   I use a mohair brush that will get hundreds of bristles down into the grooves and with an effective cleaning solution will remove most if not all the crud.

I also know this to be factual because for my sins many years ago i used a lenco clean.  it had a mohair brush and a tube that laid down a cleaning liquid and brushed the record in play leaving a damp surface (which resulted in the quietest LP play ever) the disadvantage was the crud then ended up in suspension in the liquid then dried onto the record after play (glued on virtually) and the liquid could make its way up into the cartridge and bugger it up.   Playing an album dry after it had been used with a Lenco clean (i.e. not using the lenco clean on play) was unlistenable with drastic surface noise and crackles .. So to get away from the Lenco clean I started years ago taking records into work to clean on the KMAL (which then returned them to the pre lenco state) and they were all playable with virtually no noise at all .. I had not done the whole collection (only the albums I played the most) and so I bought an Okki to finish the job (it took me a few weeks) and I can confirm that the results are brilliant .. 

So from my experience an effective vacuum cleaning machine works a treat - the ultimate for me would be to have an ultrasonic and a vacuum to ensure all the liquid and anything in suspension is removed from the record.