radiant red

Record cleaners

A major benefit is that you will get longer life out of the stylus. Also, if you play a record with 40 year of crud on it and then play a brand new record you will have a brand new record with some 40 year old crud introduced into the grooves. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I'm looking to buy a record cleaner in the near future, I've been using my trusty Knosti for a few years but decided that I would treat myself to an upgrade.  The only thing is I'm torn between the Velvet Vortex and the Project VC-S MK II. The issue I have is that with the Velvet Vortex is I would have to air dry the records probably using my Knosti drying rack. The Project has the advantage that it would dry them too and it is a bit cheaper than the Velvet Vortex , I've seen it for £298 without a cover. 

Does anyone have any experience of both cleaners?

Edited by AntA

Posted (edited)

I don't have a vortex but do use a diy sonic cleaner residual water is not really a problem and very little air drying time is required especially if you use a water surfactant additive in your tank. I normally see just a few beads of water when a record is removed. I will probably look at knocking up something at some point to go on the end of our kitchen hand held vacuum cleaner to quickly deal with these drops to speed things up a bit as I have seen others online do. But really its not much of an issue.

Ps the Vortex looks a really nice product and very good value.

Edit the ultra sonic method of cleaning really is superb.

Edited by JamieMcC

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamieMcC said:

I don't have a vortex but do use a diy sonic cleaner residual water is not really a problem and very little air drying time is required especially if you use a water surfactant additive in your tank. I normally see just a few beads of water when a record is removed. I will probably look at knocking up something at some point to go on the end of our kitchen hand held vacuum cleaner to quickly deal with these drops to speed things up a bit as I have seen others online do. But really its not much of an issue.

Ps the Vortex looks a really nice product and very good value.

Edit the ultra sonic method of cleaning really is superb.

Hi Jamie, yes I did see that you had made an ultrasonic cleaner yourself in another thread. I'm too lazy to do it myself and the Velvet Vortex does look very nice I must admit. I was wondering whether I could modify a Karcher window cleaner to dry the records. The Project is tempting as it is a good price though,

Edited by AntA

4 hours ago, AntA said:

Hi Jamie, yes I did see that you had made an ultrasonic cleaner yourself in another thread. I'm too lazy to do it myself and the Velvet Vortex does look very nice I must admit. I was wondering whether I could modify a Karcher window cleaner to dry the records. The Project is tempting as it is a good price though,

Actually that's not a bad idea I know my mum has one will have to pop round and check it out 

Had a quick look online

• Upvote 1

I don't have a Project cleaner but I have an Okki Nokki which is very similar. And I have a Velvet Vortex.

I like them both. For really dirty records I sometimes clean it using both of them. I think the VV removes more ingrained dirt but the ON gets rid of smears better.

As for drying. Only the bottom third of the record has water on it when you remove it from the VV. You can just leave it on the spindle and stick the spindle somewhere that will hold it until the record drys. Or you can dry it on the vacuum cleaner if you want.

I have tried a Karcher window cleaner and it is hard to suck the water up without pressing on the record, which I don't think is ideal.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be the VV just for its overall cleaning ability. It does take longer and is quite noisy but is a bit less labour intensive than the ON. Also you can clean more than one record at once.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have both the Knosti and Project vcs. The  vcs is way better, much quicker and cleaner imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

I have both the Knosti and Project vcs. The  vcs is way better, much quicker and cleaner imo.

The problem with the knosti is the records are left to dry so any residue in the liquid is then stuck back on the record. 

You can argue that it is fine but I used to use a lenco clean which worked on a similar principle but laid down the liquid as the record played (totally silent records in play but it would f..k your cartridge up eventuallly if it got up into the works).  I found after use you had to keep using it as playing the record dry they  now had more noise than they had before you started through gunk stuck to the grooves from the liquid (be it dust or anything that settled whilst playing). 

The knosti would be better if you could adapt a karcher window cleaner or similar to dry the record off immediately it was removed from the bath.  I have an Okki which from what i can see is virtually identical to the Project - works fine for me but I do use a mohair brush (I think it works better than the camel hair brush that comes with it,  getting many more bristles down into the groove) and I also use a microfibre cloth which I gently apply to the record whilst raising the suction tube after vacuuming (to ensure absolutely no residue is left) https://www.tilinglogistics.co.uk/Brushes-Pads/Sealer applicator and paint application pad  If you are handy with a very very sharp knife you can cut the applicator in half (as it is a tad oversized without doing that) 

36 minutes ago, uzzy said:

The problem with the knosti is the records are left to dry so any residue in the liquid is then stuck back on the record. 

You can argue that it is fine but I used to use a lenco clean which worked on a similar principle but laid down the liquid as the record played (totally silent records in play but it would f..k your cartridge up eventuallly if it got up into the works).  I found after use you had to keep using it as playing the record dry they  now had more noise than they had before you started through gunk stuck to the grooves from the liquid (be it dust or anything that settled whilst playing). 

The knosti would be better if you could adapt a karcher window cleaner or similar to dry the record off immediately it was removed from the bath.  I have an Okki which from what i can see is virtually identical to the Project - works fine for me but I do use a mohair brush (I think it works better than the camel hair brush that comes with it,  getting many more bristles down into the groove) and I also use a microfibre cloth which I gently apply to the record whilst raising the suction tube after vacuuming (to ensure absolutely no residue is left) https://www.tilinglogistics.co.uk/Brushes-Pads/Sealer applicator and paint application pad  If you are handy with a very very sharp knife you can cut the applicator in half (as it is a tad oversized without doing that) 

The goat’s hair brush that comes with the vcs can become too soft after several use. I just trim the edges a bit to make it even and stiff.

13 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

The goat’s hair brush that comes with the vcs can become too soft after several use. I just trim the edges a bit to make it even and stiff.

Soon you will have nothing to trim - go on treat yaself to the mohair brush for a total cost under a fiver pmsl 

23 minutes ago, High 5 said:

Okki Nikki have introduced a new record cleaner.

The Okki Nokki Go!

Get out of here!.

:run:

On 22/10/2018 at 15:43, rabski said:

I'd spend more. I have well over 1000 LPs and a valuable cartridge. Preserving both is worth at lot more than £300 to me.

Agreed - expensive carts are definite beneficiaries of a decent record cleaner. The difference a good wet clean made compared to my Knosti Disco Antistat I used to use was night and day, particularly with second hand or older records. I got my Clearaudio Smart Matrix second hand and it was one of my best buys under £500.

I have an Okki Nokki ..  I find the results to be comparable the KMAL machine I used to use.  I also have a Decca brush (carbon fibre thingy that traverses the disc like a Watts dust bug) - besides the usual spin with a carbon fibre brush before playing, which reduces crud build up on the stylus as well.  I liked the Decca brush so much I bought 2 some years back so i have a spare if ever one breaks.  (image taken from google search) Image result for decca record cleaning arm

I have an Okki Nokki II and it is entirely adequate.