radiant red

Record cleaners

Over the last 40 years or so I’ve spent considerable sums on Vinyl and have no intentions of ever moving away from it but 40 years takes its toll on the black stuff and with all the record sleeves and anti statistic brushes available, I need to seriously clean some albums. Having in excess of 1000 I need to invest in a cleaner. 

So many to choose from and at considerable cost of some! Can anyone recommend a cleaner under £300 and has had experience of them or as a comparison, a dearer one and why they might be worth spending more.. 

Project VC-S https://www.juno.co.uk/products/project-vcs-mk2-vinyl-cleaner-record-cleaning/684518-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6rXeBRD3ARIsAD9ni9Dn1f7BegxzjE1QpunVBgR5hESYVMIvLHgXzzhyNQIb4tEHNIGqPI4aAo_xEALw_wcB

Now in it's MKII form and very good at under £300 delivered. It's cleaned all my records flawlessly, and I rarely hear a snap crack or pop - unless the disc is physically damaged in some way. The supplied liquid concentrate is good - better than many I've tried.

It is noisy, after all, it's a docking great vacuum cleaner in a wooden box, but it does it's job very well and that's what counts. I'd see cleaning records as (almost) a one-off action. 

Some prefer ultrasonic cleaners, but after watching a chap at the record fair in Bath a month or so back, then I wouldn't bother - too faffy and you still need a way of drying the disc.

• Like 1

Thanks T 

This is one I’ve been looking at.. it can’t be any louder than my hoover lol. Not bothered about that tbh. It’s interesting to see this one compared to the Clearaudio entry models and wonder what your paying extra for

I've cleaned around a thousand discs and changed the 'wipers' on the arm once. It's a nice system because the disc is not fully supported on a platter. This means that when you clean one side and flip it over - it remains clean. Never had an issue with fluid getting on the label, you are using too much if you do. Buy something like this https://www.rapidonline.com/Technical-Treatments-Rd-Wash-Bottle-with-Cap-250ml-14-2022?IncVat=1&pdg=pla-301834344230:kwd-301834344230:cmp-757438067:adg-44804851896:crv-207912323492:pid-14-2022:dev-c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6rXeBRD3ARIsAD9ni9DQNad8765D08pCyQcWjvBGfiYd2IOofa6aE9qb89dvT-Pj07WqOlAaAlzFEALw_wcB to apply cleaning fluid. Quick wipe to spread it out with the supplied brush, let it 'soak' for a short period and suck it off. 

I got a Pro-Ject VC-S mkII recently. My review of it is here:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/128243-pro-ject-vc-s-mkii-a-mixed-bag/

Edited by Gaffer

Super Wammer

I use sauce bottles from the pound shop to apply the liquid and rinse. 3 for a quid, cheap as chips :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I got a Pro-Ject VC-S mkII recently. My review of it is here:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/128243-pro-ject-vc-s-mkii-a-mixed-bag/

Thanks for this Gaffer.

wondering if it’s still the same now? Does seem bad from Pro-ject 

Talk to @Spider. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner off him and it cleans vinyl way better than my Okki Nokki ever did. I think that it will cost a bit more than your original budget but the quality of the results make it well worth it. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ian

they look expensive?

The ultrasonic is one I'm currently very tempted by.

The ProJect is very good. Also the Okki Nokki. Despite the dumb name, it's excellent and you can sometimes pick them up used at billy bargain money.

All 'standard' cleaners are noisy. Think domestic vacuum cleaner multiplied by about two. Also bear in mind you'll need decent cleaning fluid. There are plenty of theads here about that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Danielquinn said:

Make your own . £90 for ultrasonic cleaner and £20 £50 for parts to turn the record in the bath. 

Best 130 quid I spent

Really? The bath?

Open to all suggestions...

ive had records cleaned before on a cleaner and haven’t seen anything less that equals it unfortunately