Sign in to follow this  
Donkeytrousers

Ittok counterweight hard to turn

Hi everyone! Seems strange - like we're visiting somebody else's house!

I have recently discovered (while trying to figure out a slightly dull top end) that the (single type) counterweight on my Ittok arm has become very stiff/hard to turn. I am worried - does anyone have experience or a suggested fix without stressing the bearing??

A squirt of WD40 worked for me. That will enable you to turn the counterweight.

You may want to remove the counterweight once you have it moving, then clean the arm stub and inside of the counterweight before replacing it back on the arm.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi. I found the answer on the Naim pages. It's apparently supposed to be tight. Funny - Last time I set it I could swear oit was less stiff.

Breathing on the stub deposits enough moisture to enable the counterweight to turn easier and doesn't leave a lasting deposit.  Use of oils or other form of lubrication is not recommended as it could result in damage to the rubber grommet inside the counterweight.  Make sure that the arm is in its support clip and grip the arm tube or headshell to counteract the force on the counterweight and the bearings will be OK.

Neil

Many years ago I had an Ittok, one of the ones with the two piece counterweight. The counterweight was incredibly tight. I assumed that was how it was meant to be...

Mick

Well, yes, it's supposed to be secure (snug) but not dificult to turn or adjust.  The rubber o-ring inside the counterweight hardens with age (the oldest Ittoks are approaching 40 years old, although yours may only be 30).  If it's really tight, you run the risk of damaging the bearings if you torque it while on the turntable to get it off.  I'd remove the arm, remove the counterweight, clean the arm tube stub and the o-ring.  You may even be able to find one of the same size and replace it.  If not, I'd apply a small amount of silicone protectant (Armorall), being sure to wipe off any excess before you re-mount the counterweight.

While you are at it, tighten the grub screws in the two piece couterweight.  One of mine had unwound all the way out and was wobbling out of the end  of the thread . 

Then I noticed the o ring was cracked, and not an o ring at all, but a moulded seal.  I gave up and got a Skale 

Sign in to follow this