Lawrence001

Facts vs Myths

Super Dealer

- What is meant by the term musical?

Sometimes it’s used by people to describe equipment that they happen to like, but that measures badly and sounds awful.
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Beobloke said:

Sometimes it’s used by people to describe equipment that they happen to like, but that measures badly and sounds awful.

Only if they are very inexperienced...or they have another motive.

12 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

The boom and tizz brigade (bass monsters, head bangers)? 

Lowther presence (screech and no bass)?

Horn lovers listening through cupped hands?

Facts or myths?

12 minutes ago, complin said:

The boom and tizz brigade (bass monsters, head bangers)? 

Lowther presence (screech and no bass)?

Horn lovers listening through cupped hands?

Facts or myths?

Facts.

Horns especially. They are meant for big auditoria and don't translate at all well into the average listening room. The bloody things are not meant for near-field listening, so get up close to midrange horns and they are like loud hailers. Bass horns cannot be accommodated in a domestic room without using the basement to house them and having a great big hole in the floor for the mouth, so a lack of decent bass can be a big problem.

Plenty of people like them though and will spend years trying to get low coloration and wide range sound. They are not my cup of tea but more power to those who spend a hi-fi lifetime trying to release their 'magic' Life would be dull, if we all liked the same things.

Edited by Lord Rockingham

32 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Sometimes it's used by people to describe things that measure badly and sound spectacularly good.

5 minutes ago, Lord Rockingham said:

Facts.

Horns especially. They are meant for big auditoria and don't translate at all well into the average listening room. The bloody things are not meant for near-field listening, so get up close to midrange horns and they are like loud hailers. Bass horns cannot be accommodated in a domestic room without using the basement to house them and having a great big hole in the floor for the mouth, so a lack of decent bass can be a big problem.

Plenty of people like them though and will spend years trying to get low coloration and wide range sound. They are not my cup of tea but more power to those who spend a hi-fi lifetime trying to release their 'magic' Life would be dull, if we all liked the same things.

image.jpeg.0c180407e1efdf1aa3f40ad6b2be20ae.jpegimage.jpeg.efe135a3fe3e5fe81986e4d763b9a7ee.jpeg

You mean like these owned by Vincent Brient of Total DAC France :D 

• Haha 1

Aye, they'll do. 

Perfectly illustrates the point and shows just what extreme measures can be necessary with horns.

Anything less than what is in your picture and I would say you are just playing at horns. 😊

5 minutes ago, complin said:

image.jpeg.0c180407e1efdf1aa3f40ad6b2be20ae.jpegimage.jpeg.efe135a3fe3e5fe81986e4d763b9a7ee.jpeg

You mean like these owned by Vincent Brient of Total DAC France :D 

We should invite him to bring them to Kegworth :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Or invite ourselves there next year emoji23.png

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good idea to me. B|

Sometimes it's used by people to describe things that measure badly and sound spectacularly good.

That’s if they believe such things exist - I’ve never heard it personally!

2 hours ago, Richard Dunn said:

This is the problem with myths, presumptions are made. In this case they don't exist, you need to hear them and then you can comment with authority. But that seems to be not a problem here.

In theory ostriches can't fly and yet...

Dealer

Bet they do with a rocket up their arses.

2 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

What if our equipment creates this energy post reading/picking up the signal, and it makes it sound more musical? Just an idea, have no technical argument to back it.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken vinyl does produce signal correlated distortion/noise above 20kHz.

Whether this will have a negative impact on amplifier and tweeters depends on the gear in question but I doubt that any adult can/could hear it if high-passed.

But there's a chance that this ultrasonic noise will affect the audible range further down ...