George 47

MQA A Hoax and a Con ------Bob Carver

For the record, who is Bob Carver?

Robert W. (Bob) Carver is an American designer of audio equipment based in the Pacific Northwest.

Educated as a physicist and engineer, he found an interest in audio equipment at a young age. He applied his talent to produce numerous innovative high fidelity designs since the 1970s.[1] He is known for designing the Phase Linear 700, at 350 W per channel the most powerful consumer audio amplifier available in 1972. He went on to found the Carver Corporation in 1979, Sunfire in 1994, and the Bob Carver LLC in 2011 [2] which was sold to Jade Design in June, 2013.[3] However, in December 2013, Bob Carver and Jade Design parted ways.[4]

Wiki is your friend.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

Sadly, and despite my admiration for Bob Stuart as Meridian’s leading light, I think MQA is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Sadly, and despite my admiration for Bob Stuart as Meridian’s leading light, I think MQA is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

Hi,

Yes, i too always thought Meridian was an excellent company, their products to me, were always very well built.

When i heard of MQA, and the promise - i thought it was indeed a major advance, and could not wait to hear it. I read some of the Hifi press articles, which then made me realise it was not a new discovery which had eluded the entire audio industry - which includes the semiconductor designers for ADC's and DAC's.

Further discussion on the forums made me realise that the system is just a money making design. The marketing claims are laughable, and some statements have been removed or restated more accurately. The MQA AES paper is poorly presented - and has some serious errors.

MQA is DRM first, and audio second. The claims it corrects the audio where the entire audio industry including many thousands of man years worth of experience in the design of audio IC's (ADC. DAC) have missed something critical, is quite laughable. I think MQA Ltd should be ashamed of themselves.

Regards,

Shadders.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Carver is from a bygone era. And MQA or something capable of the technical things it does is the future. Digital Rights was a way to limit distribution of music. In future it simply allows tracking so the right people get paid and piracy can be controlled. I have no objection to that. 

• Upvote 1

I had a Carver amp once.

It is another thing in the 'should never have sold that' pile.

Super Wammer
32 minutes ago, rabski said:

I had a Carver amp once.

Crumbs!  I remember drooling over a Phase Linear when I was a teenager. Another one of his I think!

Super Wammer

3 hours ago, George 47 said:

There is a discussion about this report on another forum. Parts of it have been called into question.

I have always felt MQA was a solution looking for a problem to solve. If it genuinly will ensure that with the growth of streaming services, that the peoplw who should getpaid, to actually get paid, then good. I use tidal, and a lot of their tracks are MQA. I have been feeling for a while that MQA through a non MQA dac is not as good as a standard Flac file. I have neither the kit or skill to be able to take this beyond a feeling. From reading around the net, and trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, it seems I am not alone in this. If it prooves to be so, it would seem MQA will be forcing the purchase of a new DAC on an aweful lot of people. Which as it seems licensing technology isn how MQA will make its money, it is mission accomplished

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

Carver is from a bygone era. And MQA or something capable of the technical things it does is the future. Digital Rights was a way to limit distribution of music. In future it simply allows tracking so the right people get paid and piracy can be controlled. I have no objection to that. 

Most of the stuff in serious hifi is from a bygone era (we have seen little in serious progression from older theories with the exception perhaps of Class D amps) .. Bob Carver was always pushing the boundaries and showing up the bullshitters.   As they say ignore history at your peril .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver   

As for Meridian they make lovely stuff but are they the first thing that comes to mind when you consider the best hifi you ever heard?  If they had been looking to the future perhaps they would have used CD transports that were not going to be discontinued resulting in very expensive irreparable CD transports and players.   

As to MQA it's reason for being (according to Meridian) is and I quote " MQA was a new digital system that eliminated “time smear,” increased clarity, encoded signals better than the Nyquist-Shannon Theorem (which is indisputably the fundamental underpinning of all of digital audio) and could stream songs using a slow roll-off filter that let through important ultrasonic frequencies, allowing music to sound better. There was some consensus among journalists that it sounded better than conventional CD tracks (see the Original Flavor MQA Was Tastier sidebar at right)." 

So if that is the case it failed. 

However if its primary reason for being was to make Meridian money by selling its use to Streaming companies to control privacy then all the sound aspect hot air could have been eradicated.    So if the late great Bob Carver was still around no doubt he would have highlighted the bullshit 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gosh, a new, improved "must have " recording technology.. Immensely superior to  the current technology?......................remember DVD Audio/SACD?..............

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rabski said:

I had a Carver amp once.

Still got one. Noisy fans though great sound.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1