Paulssurround

Paulssurround's Revised Space Optimisation v1 Simplified, October 2018

2 hours ago, ae111sr said:

Here's my attempt at a PDF of the newer version - hope it's useful.

Paulssurround’s Revised SPACE Optimisation, v1 Simplified   October 2018 .pdf

Great job ae111sr.

Thank you!!!     ☺️🙏

Hopefully this will be helpful to many Linn owners

19 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Great job ae111sr.

Thank you!!!     ☺️🙏

Hopefully this will be helpful to many Linn owners

My pleasure Paul just happy that I've been able to contribute a little to the SO journey that you have led lots of us on.B|

Hi Paul,

I’m a newbie so please excuse my silly questions

Are we considering SO to be via the Konfig app and SOv2 via the linn acct method.

I’m totally new to SO and although inviting you to NJ for some single malt would really make the process real easy i’ll have to start with my weird questions.

I set up L shaped room via the linn account method as Konfig does not allow it at all. When I try and look for the filters it says my system is not allowed to have that. I’m using a Majik DSM 1. Do I need to be part of the beta program for that or is it only available thru the Konfig app ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, zee9 said:

Hi Paul,

I’m a newbie so please excuse my silly questions

Are we considering SO to be via the Konfig app and SOv2 via the linn acct method.

I’m totally new to SO and although inviting you to NJ for some single malt would really make the process real easy i’ll have to start with my weird questions.

I set up L shaped room via the linn account method as Konfig does not allow it at all. When I try and look for the filters it says my system is not allowed to have that. I’m using a Majik DSM 1. Do I need to be part of the beta program for that or is it only available thru the Konfig app ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Zee9,

My experience and expertise is with the Konfig based version of Space optimisation, v1.

SOv1 allows you complete flexibility to adjust frequencies, gain and bandwidth, add custom filters and treble and bass shelves.

With SOv1 you can view every step of the process, as represented by the generated Space optimization profiles and visual graph that you generate.

This allows me to do a great deal  of experimentation, and unprecented flexibility to try new things that I don’t think Linn had thought anyone could dream up.

The results I am able to get are highly acceptable, but do require time, patience and an ability to listen carefully while playing around with changes in sound quality as adjustments are made. That is why I posted this thread, in an attempt to simplify the process and get wider adoption of SO. 

Space optimization v1 is useable on non-Exakt and Exakt Linn systems, and is capable of extraordinary results if you know what you are doing.

SOv1 does work extremely well for L-shaped rooms, but I have learned a few tricks to get better results, when entering room dimensions.

The brilliant thing is that you can save each profile after making adjustments, and compare them, and if you don’t like it erase it, so it encourages experimentation.

Space optimization v2 is based on the cloud on Linn’s servers.

At the moment it is designed for use with Non-Exakt Linn systems.

Sometime this year, we are told Linn will release a version of SO v2 that is designed for Exakt Linn systems.

SOv2 does not provide you with any visual cues or graphs, or any other feedback to let you know where you are at, with your adjustments. You have to totally rely on your ears, and determine if the changes you made are an improvement or not.

You have no access to the frequencies, gain or bandwidth of generated room modes, nor do you have access to treble shelves, bass shelves and most importantly, no access to custom filters..

You are relying on a black box calculation from an algorithm that generates the Space profile.

Linn provides you with an ability to adjust some sliders, to get results that better reflect the absorption properties of the room materials, and better maps out the room shape than SOv1.

Space optimization v2 is constantly  evolving and getting better with each release.

It also allows you to save profiles to compare different settings as does SOv1.

I have limited experience with SOv2, so will not comment further on SO v2.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to SO.

Good luck. 😊🎶🎵🎺🎻🎸🎧🎤🎷🥁🎹

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 2

Thank you for sharing this excellent guide Paul.  I am relatively new to SO and still have a lot to learn.  I have Kudos Super 20A speakers and see that they do not appear in your list relating to custom filter no 1 (not surprising considering the number of different speakers around!).  I wondered if you have any advice on the values I should use please?  Many thanks. David.

Hi David, I've been following Pauls guides for some time and I have Kudos Super20A speakers.  My custom filter 1 is shown below.  It may not be the same for you but it works for me.  Enjoy your S20A's :rockin:

image.png.cab4a114925396a105d7a85dee21f07c.png

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you very much John - that's very kind of you.  I am away from home at the moment but looking forward to trying your settings next week when I get back.

David

17 hours ago, ae111sr said:

Hi David, I've been following Pauls guides for some time and I have Kudos Super20A speakers.  My custom filter 1 is shown below.  It may not be the same for you but it works for me.  Enjoy your S20A's :rockin:

image.png.cab4a114925396a105d7a85dee21f07c.png

John

Thank you very much John for your quick response.

I have been under the weather the last couple of days, with the flu 

I have not worked with Kudos Super 20’s , only Kudos Titan 808’s in Sheffield.

Looking at the design of the speakers on the Kudos website, I would have guessed that the frequency of custom filter 1 would have been between 22.5-24 Hz

Take care

6 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thank you very much John for your quick response.

I have been under the weather the last couple of days, with the flu 

I have not worked with Kudos Super 20’s , only Kudos Titan 808’s in Sheffield.

Looking at the design of the speakers on the Kudos website, I would have guessed that the frequency of custom filter 1 would have been between 22.5-24 Hz

Take care

Hope you get rid of the flu bugs soon.  I'll revisit the first custom filter to see if your suggestion works.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ae111sr said:

Hope you get rid of the flu bugs soon.  I'll revisit the first custom filter to see if your suggestion works.

Thanks John, I feel great today.  😊

I usually only get into the 18 Hz range when I am working on 350’s.

For example, my Akubariks have an isobarik bass, and they are currently set at 22.3Hz

Fortunately, it is so easy to create a new profile and try new frequencies and see if you like it.

If you have Bob Marley’s Buffalo Soldier, and Lou Reed’s Walk On the Wild Side, they can be very helpful in getting the detail and musical bass fine tuned.   

Thank you John and Paul.  Glad you are feeling better today Paul.  I have re-read your guides and I am sure they will help me to experiment along the lines you have suggested when I return home next week. 

I have a very reflective room with few absorbent items.  The ceiling is sloping and has two gradients!  Due to a large patio door sized opening between my listening room and dining room, my listening room is effectively L-shaped.  The floor is finished with ceramic tiles and no carpet.    When I use SO (V1) and accept the suggested adjustments, the sound is worse than when all values are set to zero.  My main 2 problems seem to be:  I almost lose the bass; and the treble is extremely bright and uncomfortable - especially in orchestral music.  Vocals and small groups sound great though.   I am hoping that, with your guide process, I will be able to improve things.

Thanks again. 

David

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks John, I feel great today.  😊

I usually only get into the 18 Hz range when I am working on 350’s.

For example, my Akubariks have an isobarik bass, and they are currently set at 22.3Hz

Fortunately, it is so easy to create a new profile and try new frequencies and see if you like it.

If you have Bob Marley’s Buffalo Soldier, and Lou Reed’s Walk On the Wild Side, they can be very helpful in getting the detail and musical bass fine tuned.   

Thanks Paul. I have both the tracks thanks to you:)

Hi Paul, I’m planning on using your guide to do an optimal SO setup. I have Dali Mentor 5 speakers, given the spec below do you have any suggested starting point for the custom filter 1 settings? Many thanks.

Specifications:

Product Series MENTOR
Speaker Type Front
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB) [Hz] 43 - 34,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB] 88
Nominal Impedance [Ω] 6
Maximum SPL [dB] 109
Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 40 - 180
Crossover Frequency [Hz] 3,000 / 12,000
High Frequency Drivers 1 x 17 x 45 mm   Ribbon
1 x 28 mm  Soft Textile Dome
Low Frequency Driver 2 x 5"  Wood Fibre Cone
Enclosure Type Bass Reflex
Bass Reflex Tuning Frequency [Hz] 46.0
Magnetic Shielding No
Recommended Placement Floor
Recommended Distance From Wall [cm] 10 - 80
Dimensions With Base (HxWxD) [mm] 880 x 160 x 250
Weight [kg] 14.0
Accessories Included Manual
Rubber Bumpers
Spikes M10
Finish Black Satin
Black Satin
Cherry Veneer
White Satin

5 hours ago, SoundAdikt said:

Hi Paul, I’m planning on using your guide to do an optimal SO setup. I have Dali Mentor 5 speakers, given the spec below do you have any suggested starting point for the custom filter 1 settings? Many thanks.

Specifications:

Product Series MENTOR
Speaker Type Front
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB) [Hz] 43 - 34,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB] 88
Nominal Impedance [Ω] 6
Maximum SPL [dB] 109
Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 40 - 180
Crossover Frequency [Hz] 3,000 / 12,000
High Frequency Drivers 1 x 17 x 45 mm   Ribbon
1 x 28 mm  Soft Textile Dome
Low Frequency Driver 2 x 5"  Wood Fibre Cone
Enclosure Type Bass Reflex
Bass Reflex Tuning Frequency [Hz] 46.0
Magnetic Shielding No
Recommended Placement Floor
Recommended Distance From Wall [cm] 10 - 80
Dimensions With Base (HxWxD) [mm] 880 x 160 x 250
Weight [kg] 14.0
Accessories Included Manual
Rubber Bumpers
Spikes M10
Finish Black Satin
Black Satin
Cherry Veneer
White Satin

I went on-line to look more closely at the manufacturer’s details on these speakers, as I am not familiar with them.

It would just be a guess, so the best thing is to listen to the reference tunes and see what sounds best.

With the manufacturer stating the lower end of the frequency range starts at 43 Hz, I can only guess that you may want to start your search for the right frequency for custom filter 1, in the 24-28 Hz range.

Hopefully that helps narrow the search.