On 13/10/2018 at 12:17, MickC said:

There are issues with available room with the initial version of the SE (very short headshell) which were resolved with the /1 version of the arm, so it would be wise to check a non-Linn cartridge will actually fit if it’s an early SE.

Mick

11 hours ago, sktn77a said:

I have an Ekos 2 which I believe has the same shorter headshell dimension of the SE (but not the Ittok or SE/1).  I use a Lyra Argo (admittedly similar dimensions to the Lyra/Linn cartridges) and had no problems fitting it.  I think if you are careful dressing the cartridhe lead pin connections (per Peter Swain's post on the old Linn forum) you should be OK with most other cartridges.

Yes the Se > Se/1 headshell change makes life so much easier and was the result of me talking to David.W @Linn  about the difficulties I had when installing an XV-1t in the original sized headshell for a client in Hong Kong. I also mentioned that it was in addition to it being rather stressful it was (as it happened there) very hot and humid making life even more tricky with a £5K+ cartridge!!!:shock: 

Anyway having supplied him with pictures of the installation in the head-shell (the L+ was literally the width of a fag paper away from shorting on the head-shell) and also the necessary position of the counterweight well away from the bearing which I overcame by getting an additional mass ring machined up on Hong Kong while I was there so as the counterweight could be correctly positioned, about a year or maybe two later we had the updated Se/1 and extra heavy counterweight made available from the factory and so end of problems with installation with other cartridges. Guess what... I sell more Ekos Se's now in the /1 form as a consequence and I'm sure others do too. So this was a case of Linn listening and everyone benefiting.......Whilst sometimes I do wonder as to the thinking in Glasgow about certain issues (like the sense in moving this forum), I wish more manufacturers listened like Linn to comments about their products...... as we'd end up with better products IMHO.

Yes, offsetting the tag-wires at the arm tags is the only way to allow for clearance to correctly align some cartridges in Akito, Ekos 1, 2 and Se etc. 

I can find and post pics if members want? I'll just need a bit of time to do it this week due to it being a busy one.... 

KR

Peter

Following the introduction of the original  Ekos [and even to a degree with the last short headshell Ittok IIIs ] all good dealers quickly acquired the knack of bending the cartridge tag tails to allow correct alignment of many cartridges, including Linn's own K Series. 

I say all good dealers...as some couldn't be bothered....and as  a result we saw an awful lot of  badly aligned cartridges in the Ekos .

[You could spot them a mile away ;).   A correctly aligned K9 or K18 in the Ekos or earlier Ekos SE would have its fixing bolts located  just a couple of mill forward from the back of the slots. Without bending the tags to the arm pins, the cartridge  would only slide about half way back in the slots ] 

Edited by Smokestack

Picture courtesy of Peter Swain ~ Cymbiosis.

18cf696bbf71c13d40755afc53c32265.jpg

On 13/10/2018 at 10:25, Stuart 1872 said:

Anyone using a non Linn cart with Ekos se? And if so, why did you overlook Krystal/Kandid etc?

Lyra Kleos SL. Plenty of room in SE/1 headshell to fit without snagging leads.

Trade-in on existing (standard) Kleos made the SL version £1000 less expensive than Kandid, which was therefore uncompetitive.

There was a lot of discussion of Linn vs Lyra carts on the old Linn forum - what a shame that this and other information is no longer available.:(

IMG_9446.JPG

You can find a bit @ The HiFi Kabin: https://hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2709

2 hours ago, Stuart 1872 said:

Thanks all.

I will demo both but think in the context of my all Linn Exakt system, Kandid should be the natural choice?

I don't think that your having an all-Linn Exakt system should be decisive in favour of Kandid (my system is all-Exakt, including Urika II). The Kandid is made by Lyra, so there are likely to be similarities with Lyra carts. And the low output single layer Kleos SL has a significant design advantage over the higher output, dual layer Kandid - assuming pairing with a top quality phono stage.

On the other hand, you may feel that the Kandid is the 'natural choice' due to synergy with Ekos SE (three point mounting, flying leads, and lower mass).

I would definitely demo both if you can. Some who have made the comparison (see HFK thread mentioned by Tendaberry above) have preferred the Kleos SL. I'm sure either would be great.

2 hours ago, DB1328 said:

Don‘t even think about it, till you have upgraded your Doriks. 😉

Yep, Kat is first. Cart after. 

24 minutes ago, pirov said:

I don't think that your having an all-Linn Exakt system should be decisive in favour of Kandid (my system is all-Exakt, including Urika II). The Kandid is made by Lyra, so there are likely to be similarities with Lyra carts. And the low output single layer Kleos SL has a significant design advantage over the higher output, dual layer Kandid - assuming pairing with a top quality phono stage.

On the other hand, you may feel that the Kandid is the 'natural choice' due to synergy with Ekos SE (three point mounting, flying leads, and lower mass).

I would definitely demo both if you can. Some who have made the comparison (see HFK thread mentioned by Tendaberry above) have preferred the Kleos SL. I'm sure either would be great.

I will def demo both. Whatever sounds best, wins. 

As mentioned, large cartridge fitting in the Ekos SE/1 is pretty straightforward, whereas it was definitely difficult in the original Ekos SE (and Ekos 1&2, etc.).  This even extended to Linn's own Adikt which can't be fitted properly in an Ekos pre SE/1 without bending the tags.  While I have fit large cartridges into Ekos doing things similar to that shown in the photo above (with some cartridges the tags needed to be bent int a V shape with the corner of the cartridge in between) it is much easier now.  I have installed Koetsu and large Benz cartridges into Ekos SE/1 quite easily, along with others.  The other thing to note is that the heavier cartridges benefit from the Linn Ekos SE heavy counterweight.  I put this on one customer Ekso SE with Koetsu Urushi Vermillion and there was a distinct musical improvement.

As to the cartridge of choice you might find you have a hard time beating the Kandid in an Ekos SE.  A customer of mine, who is in the industry, had me upgrade his LP12 with an Ekos SE/1 and a Kandid a year ago (after having done the Radikal and Keel the year before).  As he was deciding on the cartridge he was at a Hi-Fi show and talked to one of the Lyra people about the Etna or Atlas vs. the Kandid.  This customer was told that, despite the fact that he felt the Lyra cartridges were overall superior, the Kandid was so perfectly matched to the Ekos SE that no other cartridge would give as good a perfromance on a fully-loaded LP12.  Hence why my customer bought the Kandid and has been extremely pleased.

On 26/10/2018 at 15:43, DB1328 said:

Don‘t even think about it, till you have upgraded your Doriks. 😉

Mixed reports being received in relation to Kat upgrade for Doriks. Not significant enough improvement to warrant the outlay?

10 minutes ago, Stuart 1872 said:

Mixed reports being received in relation to Kat upgrade for Doriks. Not significant enough improvement to warrant the outlay?

The Katalyst upgrade for the Akudoriks is definitely worth the cost.

When I upgraded my Akubariks to Katalyst, my friend upgraded his Akudoriks to Katalyst at the same time.

It was a great  upgrade for both of us and provided significant sound quality improvements on every level. 

‘With the newest Akudorik filters and Katalyst, it is a revelation.     😊🙏🎶

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

The Katalyst upgrade for the Akudoriks is definitely worth the cost.

When I upgraded my Akubariks to Katalyst, my friend upgraded his Akudoriks to Katalyst at the same time.

It was a great  upgrade for both of us and provided significant sound quality improvements on every level. 

‘With the newest Akudorik filters and Katalyst, it is a revelation.     😊🙏🎶

Can you describe the improvements?