I use a Benz Ace Sl with my Ekos SE/1. It sounds wonderful to my ears, especially with the the new Urika 2.

I am very happy with this combo. Changing from Akito 2b to Ekos SE makes it possible to hear, what the system really can do.

If the Benz has finished someday, i think i‘ll buy a Krystal.

There are issues with available room with the initial version of the SE (very short headshell) which were resolved with the /1 version of the arm, so it would be wise to check a non-Linn cartridge will actually fit if it’s an early SE.

Mick

Edited by MickC

2 hours ago, DB1328 said:

I use a Benz Ace Sl with my Ekos SE/1. It sounds wonderful to my ears, especially with the the new Urika 2.

I am very happy with this combo. Changing from Akito 2b to Ekos SE makes it possible to hear, what the system really can do.

If the Benz has finished someday, i think i‘ll buy a Krystal.

Interesting. I use Urika 2. 

Before i had a Linto. It was good, but not so fantastic as the Urika 2.

What cartridge do you have?

36 minutes ago, Stuart 1872 said:

Good point.  I have the later version Ekos se so no probs using different carts?

I believe so, although it might be fiddly getting the leads tucked in. I use a Kandid (also with Urika II - we should all start a club!) and the leads are fine but it's hardly roomy back there.

The Kandid has flying leads - it's possible that fitting a cartridge that has pins could be slightly more awkward. Pic of mine attached...

Mick

IMG_3234.jpg

Edited by MickC
Adding pic

7 minutes ago, MickC said:

I believe so, although it might be fiddly getting the leads tucked in. I use a Kandid (also with Urika II - we should all start a club!) and the leads are fine but it's hardly roomy back there.

The Kandid has flying leads - it's possible that fitting a cartridge that has pins could be slightly more awkward. Pic of mine attached...

Mick

IMG_3234.jpg

That looks lovely mate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DB1328 said:

That‘s mine. Not as pretty as  yours..but okay. 😉

image.jpg

Ooh, that’s a lovely ruby red!

I use the Benz LP in an Ekos SE. A tight fit but possible to get the correct overhang with bent connectors on the leads.

Why no Kandid? Was not launched when I bought the Benz. Have never listened to the Kandid so cannot say if I would have preferred it to the Benz. Next time maybe a Lyra...…...disapointed of Linn these days :P

Edited by HBerg

I have an Ekos 2 which I believe has the same shorter headshell dimension of the SE (but not the Ittok or SE/1).  I use a Lyra Argo (admittedly similar dimensions to the Lyra/Linn cartridges) and had no problems fitting it.  I think if you are careful dressing the cartridhe lead pin connections (per Peter Swain's post on the old Linn forum) you should be OK with most other cartridges.