Sign in to follow this  
Bazzer

Top Selling Albums of All Time

2 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

I take it you mean Led Zep , some bands Zep being the prime one were bigger in the USA , I wasn't much of a Zep fan and was quite surprised to find out they were English same with Supertramp always thought they were American .

Yes Led Zepp. They were big over here to, try getting a concert ticket. The UK list does seem to favour more recent artists for some reason, the worldwide list does not feature any made this century. The UK sales look high as well. 

America does like it's stadium Rock and their sales reflect this , don't know anything about Adele or Coldplay come to that but I suppose they wouldn't be at all big over there .

15 hours ago, JD68 said:

Don't see the point in true music lovers (which I think the people on this forum are) bothering with lists like this. High selling music is about mass appeal, so it was always going to feature dross like Keane and the Spice Girls over the abundance of great music that we all listen to.

It's like having a list of best restaurants based on volumes of sales - and people then wondering why Mcdonalds, KFC and Subway are at the top.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That maybe the case in the UK but the worldwide list is different and has far more heavy rock/metal such as ACDC, Metallica, Nirvana, Guns and Roses and Led Zeppelin.

12 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

That maybe the case in the UK but the worldwide list is different and has far more heavy rock/metal such as ACDC, Metallica, Nirvana, Guns and Roses and Led Zeppelin.

Finally tracked down the latest Worldwide sales , the internet seems to keep thinking the USA chart is the worldwide :roll:

August 2018 Worldwide Top 10

1 Thriller - MJ

2 The Eagles Greatest Hits

3 Hotel California - The Eagles

4 Come on Over - Shania Twain

5 Led Zeppilin IV

6 The Bodyguard Soundtrack - Whitney Houston

7 Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

8 AC?DC - Back in Black

9 21 - Adele

10 Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrisette

Edited by Bazzer

6 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

America does like it's stadium Rock and their sales reflect this , don't know anything about Adele or Coldplay come to that but I suppose they wouldn't be at all big over there .

Adele is big over there, 21 sold about 12m in the US, Tapestry only sold 10m apparently. 

I think it's more to do with radio, Led Zepp were hardly played on the BBC because they did not do singles, in the US they were on the radio so much, they said you could not get away from Stairway to Heaven on the radio at one time. 

Some artists will be more popular at home, country music is very popular in the states, not so much over here and other countries around the world. 

Just now, BeeRay said:

Adele is big over there, 21 sold about 12m in the US, Tapestry only sold 10m apparently. 

Yes I didn't think she would be .

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

country music is very popular in the states

The Eagles can't fail can they , I see Hootie and The Blowfish  and Garth Brooks are in the American top sales , can't say I have heard the former .

3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Actually Coldplay are very popular outside the UK, one of the most popular current bands in the world.

I must confess to owning one of their albums.

Repped for owning up xD , nothing wrong with that , they seem to get a lot of stick from the "cool" gang  don't now why , it's the British thing to knock success .

26 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

The Eagles can't fail can they , I see Hootie and The Blowfish  and Garth Brooks are in the American top sales , can't say I have heard the former .

I know Hootie and the Blowfish, not a bad album, but they are rock not country, similar to Counting Crows.

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Actually Coldplay are very popular outside the UK, one of the most popular current bands in the world.

I must confess to owning one of their albums.

I don't mind admitting that I own several. I would also say that the Coldplay concert that we went to at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry was one of the best I've attended (and I've been to quite a number, by many different artists).

4 hours ago, Bazzer said:

I have a couple of early Hootie CDs.  Good soft blues rock

On 14 October 2018 at 14:18, Bazzer said:

Repped for owning up xD , nothing wrong with that , they seem to get a lot of stick from the "cool" gang  don't now why , it's the British thing to knock success .

I've got everything Coldplay have ever released on vinyl and CD including the acoustic CD the Sunday Times gave away free many years ago.

Brilliant studio and live band and a nice bunch of lads.

Every time they tour they sell out there albums sell in the millions so I'm guessing 

a few people like them.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:24, Bazzer said:

I take it you mean Led Zep , some bands Zep being the prime one were bigger in the USA , I wasn't much of a Zep fan and was quite surprised to find out they were English same with Supertramp always thought they were American .

I thought Supertramp were Canadian, just checked just now and you're right.

• Like 1