7 hours ago, BB1 said:

The Klimax system hub was formerly known as the Klimax Exakt DSM. Im changing from an Akurate Exakt DSM (now called Akurate system hub).

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the "Exakt DSMs" and the "System Hubs" is the printing at their front panel.

How does the sound compare between the Klimax and Akurate system Hub?

13 hours ago, Stuart 1872 said:

How does the sound compare between the Klimax and Akurate system Hub?

Well, it sounds and looks better ;). A member of the Linn forum (DavidHB, also active here) replaced his AEDSM by a KEDSM and was really pleased by the result. So am I. Actually I wouldn’t have considered this upgrade for my system without reading DavidHB’s posts about it. Thanks, David! So the now abandoned Linn forum has generated a sale for Linn. I’d seriously doubt that Linn’s marketing is aware of this fact...

In absolute terms, the gain in SQ by upgrading my system from an AEB10 to two KEBs was larger then the difference between the KEDSM and AEDSM. With respect to value for money I’d rate both upgrades as being nearly equal.

Please note that I’m not using analogue sources in my setup. The KEDSM’s ADC is much better than the AEDSM’s one. In an Exakt system mainly using analogue sources upgrading to a KEDSM would be my first step.

Your absolutely right, the KEDSM ADC is much better, than the AEDSM one.

But with AEDSM with Urika 2 the Lp12 plays still in another league.

I sold my KDSM/1 Renew and Linto for an AEDSM and Urika 2. I do not regret. 😉

1 hour ago, DB1328 said:

I guess the Urika II ADC is the same or better as is in the Klimax DSMs, so with an LP12 as main source, the AEDSM->KEDSM (6.5k) is probably not worth the outlay compared to 2.7k for the Urika II.

1 hour ago, DB1328 said:

An Urika 2 isn’t an analogue source ;).

IMHO the housing has a non-negligible effect on the SQ. I think we agree that a Radikal in a Klimax housing sounds better than the Akurate variant although the electronic system is identical. The weak point of the Renews is their housing.

I don’t doubt that an AEDSM with an Urika 2 does sound much better than a Klimax level Renew in conjunction with a Linto, but the only fair comparison would be an Urika 2 driving either an AEDSM or an KDSM. Replacing a LInto by an Urika 2 is a big step ahead which would for sure outweigh the downgrade from a KEDSM to an AEDSM. If possible, try a KEDSM in your current setup and see what happens.

I did this comparison before,  for my ears there wasn‘t much difference in playing vinyl.

For the money i got from selling the used KDSM/1 Renew and Linto i got the new AEDSM and the Urika 2. The DAC of the Renew was useless cause of the Katalyst Akudoriks. The latest upgrades were changing the Akito 2b and Kore for Ekos Se/1 and Keel.

Before upgrading the AEDSM to KEDSM i really would change the Akurate Radikal to a Klimax one, but not in near future. 😉

16 hours ago, BB1 said:

Well, it sounds and looks better ;). A member of the Linn forum (DavidHB, also active here) replaced his AEDSM by a KEDSM and was really pleased by the result. So am I. Actually I wouldn’t have considered this upgrade for my system without reading DavidHB’s posts about it. Thanks, David! So the now abandoned Linn forum has generated a sale for Linn. I’d seriously doubt that Linn’s marketing is aware of this fact...

In absolute terms, the gain in SQ by upgrading my system from an AEB10 to two KEBs was larger then the difference between the KEDSM and AEDSM. With respect to value for money I’d rate both upgrades as being nearly equal.

Please note that I’m not using analogue sources in my setup. The KEDSM’s ADC is much better than the AEDSM’s one. In an Exakt system mainly using analogue sources upgrading to a KEDSM would be my first step.

Thanks to BB1 for summarising my views on the KEDSM/System Hub so well. Since buying my KEDSM, I have also acquired an LP12 of quite modest specification, and, as I am sticking with MM cartridges, do not have the option to use a Urika II (which is in any case unaffordable, because I'd have to replace my Lingo with a Radikal to use it). But the excellent Lejonklou Gaio feeding the ADC on the KEDSM produces remarkably good results. I recall that, on the old forum, someone from Linn did say that the ADC on the KEDSM was the best that they produced; the components are the same as on the KDSM (and, IIRC, the Urika II), but, with all the analogue circuitry and DAC removed, the ADC circuits could be better laid out on the KEDSM. Also, the ADC produces a 24 bit/192kHz data stream, so, even with my LP12,  a decent LP will tend to sound better than its ripped CD counterpart, even when transcoded to 24bit and played through Linn's best renderer.

All of that said, BB1 is also correct in his advice as to which upgrade should come first. The KEDSM is very nice to have, but the much cheaper upgrade of my Akurate Exaktbox 10 to /1 (Katalyst) standard produced a far greater improvement in sound quality, and was much the most cost-effective single equipment upgrade I have made to my system. Of course that upgrade built on what was already in place, but it represented the biggest single step change.

David