Stuart 1872

LP12

Dealer

A used hi-fi dealer :whistle:

9 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

What was worse a hifi dealer or a used car salesman?

Odd as it may be, bit like people in general I have found good and bad in both. 

3 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I think the hifi mag. influence will diminish in the future.

I think it already has. For example, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons WHF staff stopped answering threads on their own forum is because other members challenged the advice they gave if it looked a bit cock-n-bull. Originally I'm sure they envisaged a scenario where the WHF Forum would be a kind of live version of a "Readers' Letters" where newbies would join to ask questions and the answers given by staff would be treated as the undisputed single truth. It didn't turn out that way, which I think came as a bit of a shock to them. They were journalists first and foremost, completely unaccustomed to (and unprepared for) a lion's den which allowed for their advice and opinions to be questioned or reproached, instantly. Over a period of time they disassociated themselves from the forum entirely.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee

3 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

I think it already has. For example, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons WHF staff stopped answering threads on their own forum is because other members challenged the advice they gave if it looked a bit cock-n-bull. Originally I'm sure they envisaged a scenario where the WHF Forum would be a kind of live version of a "Readers' Questions" where newbies would join to ask questions and the answers given by staff would be considered the undisputed single truth. It didn't turn out that way, which I think came as a bit of a shock to them, and over a period of time they disassociated themselves from the forum entirely.

Yes you are right, it already has but what I meant it will diminish even more. Yes there was a change on forums about 4 years ago, most believed what they had been fed by dealers and magazines but then people started challengingly a lot of it. Some new members were surprised. Maybe this is why forums are closing down, the sharing of knowledge is not to the benefit of the hosting company?  Yes the WHF  forum was left almost untouched for about 3 years, it's only when someone got well out of order that a mod would get involved, you could even report something as the facility did not work and there were no active mods. Actually I thought the last year or so was about the best it had been, it was friendlier, most people got on and music was even discussed, something that was frowned upon in the past. But I think it is better here. More knowledge and more diverse. 

4 hours ago, dudywoxer said:

I think a lot of the vitriol aimed at Linn, and sometimes Naim, comes from the marketing used by both companies. They where both good at it, and not only got the press, and dealers onside, but also a large swathe of the HiFi buying public. Some of their methods may be seen as ''underhand''  . Some ''better'' sounding kit may have failed to reach the market it maybe could or should have, because of it, but do you lay the Blame with Linn for being good at marketing before a lot of people knew what it was, or on the competition for being poor. I am fairly sure some of the bigger Japanese companies could have found the budget to out market  them if the UK had offered them enough sales to justify it ,should they have chosen to do so. 

When I bought my first HiFi that was not from Comet or Laskey's or whoever, the difference between the shops selling Linn/Naim kit and the others was huge. There where two very close together in a couple of local towns. I was temped by a deck that I found better than the Linn or rega offerings, so I bought deck from one, amp and speakers from another. Unfortunately the deck I chose had a few build quality and reliability issues. Within a month I had my cash back, and bought the rega. A working Rega deck sounds much, much better than a non working a.n.other.  

A lot of it came from dealers who felt they were short changed or had arms put up behind their backs - the late Julien Vereker got most upset and refused to supply Bob Eubanks at Guildford HiFi when he found out that Bob had exported (second hand units never new) to Germany.  Bob got taken over by Unilet who used to sell so much Naim stuff that Naim would never shut them off.  Bob had great fun ringing Julien and saying .. hey Julien we are selling Naim again.

So indications are that small dealers were limited with what they could stock or sell or how they sold by some of the manufacturers.  I guess that and the fact that every magazine of the day forced Linn and Naim down your throat started the anti Linn Naim movement.  

The pile em high and sell em cheap dealers were great as long as you knew exactly what you wanted to buy, hell at Comet you could buy a Garrard 401 and an SME 3009 (and have to knock up your own plinth) for only twice as much as it cost you to get a Garrard SP25.  They stocked cartridges cheap as well.  Oh for a crystal ball - I would have bought as many 401s and SMEs as I could seeing the prices they go for now on ebay.

The upset also came from punters going into a small dealer and hearing stuff and seeking advice then going to buy the stuff in Comet or Dixons or Laskeys.  Though it has to be said when I got my Thorens TD160 from Dixons in Rochester in 1974 they also sold Linn.  

The thing is a small dealer can provide a service second to none .. the sadder thing is paying for service is something that most people do not want to do.

1 hour ago, uzzy said:

The thing is a small dealer can provide a service second to none .. the sadder thing is paying for service is something that most people do not want to do.

It's not that people don't want to pay for service, but thanks to the net they don't have to.

At least those of us who are adept-ish with fiddling and fettling. There is now a huge knowledge base we can all draw from.

When I was a boy I did use my er.. Linn/Naim(both long gone) dealer and got excellent service .

I can sort stuff out for myself now and don't need a dealer.

Plus the usual 'young'uns ' aren't interested in this hobby. A shame, but life moves on.

• Upvote 1

Just picked up my LP12, no arm, spare armboard and small PCB plus a power switch. I will need a blank armboard as the hadcock is 212.85mm spindle to pivot.