EddieRUKidding

What is worst amp you have had that worked

Super Wammer

Eagle SA-100 little PP EL84 amp, nice mid-range if a bit grainy, bass was punchy but lacking any depth.

8614133414_e5df899db4_z.jpg

Eagle SA-100 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

8617035844_b2dc8cacb4_z.jpg

Eagle SA-100 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Worst for me has to be the favourite of certain person on here, the Behringer A500. To me the bass was missing, mids were there of sorts and the treble was like listening to a flock of demented chickens. 

Also made the mistake of bi-amping with a pair of LK140s, damn them buggers are shrill. 

• Like 1

Oh, god, yes agreed on the Behringer A500 - fine for bass but hideous at any fequencies above this!

Regarding Amstrad, many years ago I bought a job lot of hi-fi that included an Amstrad EX-220 amplifier. It hummed like crazy but i decided to fix it anyway - with two new caps in the PSU it was quiet once more and actually sounded pretty decent. In fact, it was the vey amp that made me realise that the aforementioned Rogers Ravensbourne that I was using at the time wasn't just a "bit odd" but was actually "very poor" as the Amstrad sounded better!

Predictably, despite my protestations that the Amstrad wasn't all that bad, I struggled to give it away, let alone sell it.

• Like 1

This thread has made me wonder if Amstrad ever made anything decent!  I guess the word processing thingy made their name big, but now it surely has no brand value?  

• Like 1

the Amstrad computers, at least in the early days gave people access to decent spec pc's that where reliable, and had enough power to run real world software at sensible for the time money. The computer world has moved on a bit. The hi fi stuff was fairly universally crap.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lurch said:

Worst for me has to be the favourite of certain person on here, the Behringer A500. To me the bass was missing, mids were there of sorts and the treble was like listening to a flock of demented chickens. 

Thanks for the wine choke.

I always did wonder about the supposed sound quality

• Haha 2

Nuforce Ref 9.0 mk1. So polluting that it killed the Freeview signal of our television. Later versions corrected this but given the amazing reviews, it was a shocker. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 20:19, Nopiano said:

This thread has made me wonder if Amstrad ever made anything decent!  I guess the word processing thingy made their name big, but now it surely has no brand value?  

They had some early models that were reasonable but they went downhill very quickly and some were crazy bad. I actually had a job selling them as a 16 year old. 

That having been said, he knew his market, was a terrific businessman and they sold in greater numbers than much better kit. He kept a lot of people in British manufacturing in work.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 19:48, Lurch said:

At last, my ideal amp. My search is over...

500x500.jpg

• Like 1