timster

Linn Forums closure letter of... complaint?

I have written the following to Gilad. Maybe others could do similar.

I am only really requesting a KB and FAQ, but some kind of direct support would be a bonus:

Dear Mr. Tiefenbrun

It was with great sadness, not to say dismay, to hear of the decision to close the invaluable forums. While I understand the resources to keep such an active community alive and relevant had gotten too great, the community and knowledge it contained was part of the enjoyment of owning a Linn system, and invaluable in getting the best out of it. It would be a greater shame if all that was lost.

There was so much information from owners and invaluable insights and knowledge from Linn staff, that at least a knowledge base and FAQ would have been a better way forward. Making the current forum read-only until such a transition would have been more acceptable.

Neither is there is currently any information on the status of Linn Accounts, just as one example - other forums have kindly allowed space for Linn refugees who have grown increasingly frustrated at the cloud Space Optimisation v2.0 being either slow or failing with no access to information. I myself have recently had to contact the help-line for three separate issues that could well have been answered already on the forums, and I am still awaiting answers. I am sure the help line will suffer greatly from the removal of such a valuable resource, making it over-used and stretched to the detriment of your customer service reputation.

It is also not insignificant that had it not been for the forums I would not have taken on my own  journey from Majik to Akurate. Nor would it have been as likely that I would be contemplating an upgrade to Katalyst. When I was a new Linn customer the forum was invaluable in helping understand streaming methodologies, software and even "little" and yet important things about tagging, NAS's, control points and the like. Roon would have completely passed me by.

To expect the help line and/or dealers to take this kind of load is unreasonable and I don't believe workable or practical. Customers will be left too much in the dark about Linn not only in general terms, but the great features and possibilities, and your USPs, too.

May I please request you reconsider this decision.

Yours faithfully and in hope for the future of Linn

Tim <redacted>

Linn system owner from source to speaker for 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Oops. I think this belongs in the Linn forum thread. I thought a "start new topic" would go in there as a sub-topic.

Newb mistake, sorry mods!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, timster said:

Oops. I think this belongs in the Linn forum thread. I thought a "start new topic" would go in there as a sub-topic.

Newb mistake, sorry mods!

It's not the sort of thing that should be mixed up with general chat, so I'm happy to leave it as a separate thread. 

Just a heads up for anyone else reading this, 2ch is probably a better option for maximum exposure. No need for everyone to stay locked to one thread in Owners Club.

Nicely put, Timster. I was thinking of writing a similar missive but yours has laid it all out very eloquently.

Mick

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Danielquinn said:

Don't moan about it, set your own forum up.

This misses the point of Linn understanding and learning from its customer base.

And the contributions from the Linn engineering team were highly valued by that community.

Having a non-Linn forum has merits of course, but its not a replacement.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Danielquinn said:

Don't moan about it, set your own forum up.

The world doesn't need yet another independent home audio / hifi forum, the point is the Naim forum was directly affiliated with the manufacturer.

Maybe Naim feels that their internet forum has had its day. They wouldn't be the first. Facebook and other social media outlets are on the whole taking over from corporate internet forums, which as a concept hark back to 80's alt.* Usenet groups, from the early days of the internet 30-odd years ago.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee

19 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Maybe Naim feels that their internet forum has had its day

The Naim forum is going, too??!!

Admin
2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

This misses the point of Linn understanding and learning from its customer base.

And the contributions from the Linn engineering team were highly valued by that community.

Having a non-Linn forum has merits of course, but its not a replacement.

I can say that as we have had since it was started a few years ago, the Linn engineering team will be present here for Q&A

I'm still working on the content archive debate but links will be provided for support directly answered by Linn from here.

• Like 2

Well I got a very nice reply from Gilad. I wasn't expecting anything so that's something.

Short story shorter - done and dusted, c'est la vie, it is what it is, this is our new home. I wonder if we can get funding from the UNHCR? ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timster said:

Well I got a very nice reply from Gilad. I wasn't expecting anything so that's something.

Short story shorter - done and dusted, c'est la vie, it is what it is, this is our new home. I wonder if we can get funding from the UNHCR? ;)

Good of you to post this message.

Closing the Linn Forum is mistake I feel. Not the decision of a customer facing company. I expected more of Linn. Let’s see how WigWam goes. What about all that lost history from the heritage forum? Is it going to be transferred to WigWam?