Music Bee

Linn Forums Old Topics

Hi,

Will this forum will have all the old Linn forums info. here? (old archives) to search through? its very important to find the info. related to old Linn equipment,

if it's migrated from there to  here? then how can I search?

Many Thanks in advance.

MusicBee

Admin

We are in discussions about whether this is either possible OR whether Linn actually want this to happen. 

Thanks

• Like 2

Sometimes a fresh start is a way to go, although a Linn forum header might be a good idea so as to let it the guys feel more at home and roll from there. Just my opinion though.

Edited by Sgt Pepper
  • Upvote 1

It would be sad if all that accumulated knowledge and advice was lost.

Edited by Neil Jung
Error
  • Like 3

As an original member of the Linn forum it will be very sad to loose all the knowledge that was accumulated for the last 10 years.

• Like 2

As another member of the old Linn forum I ask myself, "What has happened"? Has Linn become so high and mighty as to forget us lowly mortals that cannot afford the newest equipment, but still want the opportunity to enjoy the Linn sound. I have bookmarked so many of the good articles which are now gone.

Yes absoulutely,

it would be sad to loose all the old discussions which were helpful during my many system building processes, if they are gone? then we are loosing so many people's precious invested time and efforts and knowledge which was built-up for so many years,

Linn, earned reputation of supporting and suplying spares for their equipments old as 8+ years? and the same should be continued with the forum, its their customer support which is outstanding then some. and they should keep-up the same good work and get the old archives here.

Regard

MusicBee

Super Wammer

The forum support for the older products gave Linn a few benefits: 

- it will have taken away a large amount of the workload for the helpline, saving staffing costs

- it will have added value to the used products which assists existing customers to fund buying new kit

- creates a sense of loyalty and customer advocacy

Very odd to throw away benefits like that.  Most companies would highly value a vibrant community giving them such value, and most would strive to get a small proportion of what the Linn forum delivered.

Hopefully a way can be found to archive all that information, although GDPR might make it difficult.

GDPR is a consideration, but the actual practicality is a greater problem.

Moving data is one thing. Making it usable and searchable is something very different, especially if the databases are formatted differently.

Losing any archive of information is a real shame.

I would have thought that Linn could have simply 'locked' the forum in a read-only state and just place a prominent "Closed for business"(*) sign up.

There may be GDPR / right to be forgotten issues but I very much doubt it as all data entered on the forum was done voluntarily - so 90%+ of GDPR does not apply.

Rik

(*) For the forum, not the company!

• Like 1

Rabski has hit the nail on the head.

It would be a mammoth technical task to integrate that amount of content from a different platform and make it easy to access / interrogate.

If Linn weren't prepared to continue to pay salaries to have the forum tick over then it seems unlikely that they will be willing to fund such an exercise.

The 5 stages of forum grief:

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Banter

It's only HiFi...

1 minute ago, Seriousjon said:

I must say I will miss many of the musical recommendation threads (especially the bass related one!)

Hello to all the old Linn forum muckers :-)

Seriousjon,

Welcome to the Wam.

Never fear we are also interested in music (big surprise) and have a very lively section on music including albums that we are currently playing. There is even a thread on serious and disruptive bass. Try James Blake's Limit to Your Love for some nice deep bass. Wilson Audio use it to test their speakers including the Chromosonic. 

Go on explore you never know what you may find. ;) 

2 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Seriousjon,

Welcome to the Wam.

Never fear we are also interested in music (big surprise) and have a very lively section on music including albums that we are currently playing. There is even a thread on serious and disruptive bass. Try James Blake's Limit to Your Love for some nice deep bass. Wilson Audio use it to test their speakers including the Chromosonic. 

Go on explore you never know what you may find. ;) 

Excellent - thank you I will go straight there and have a look - I have a couple of subs in my system that love a good workout (the neighbours are a little less convinced.....)

Moving data from Burning Board (I think) to Invision Power Board is possible, but no small feat. I think Linn should just put the old forum into a dormant mode (no additions / replies / new topics allowed) and leave it available for people to browse and read. With a big fat in your face "this forum is archived, discussion is now going on somewhere else->link" note.

Edited by uk030
  • Like 2