Bolosun

ATC SCM11 Speakers versus Kef LS50's

2 hours ago, Bolosun said:

Thanks for the pointer, never heard of them. But I have the Kefs back in and I am happy again. Will at some point try the Harbeths or the new Reference Kefs, but in no hurry.

I bet the Quasar & LS50's sound fantastic, i was tempted with the quasar but just couldn't part with my Atom & Leema power amp. My room is only 15ft x 12ft and the Kef's really sound astonishing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stifmeister said:

I bet the Quasar & LS50's sound fantastic, i was tempted with the quasar but just couldn't part with my Atom & Leema power amp. My room is only 15ft x 12ft and the Kef's really sound astonishing. 

I think that is the "problem" they do sound good, and it would take a lot of money to improve the sound. Just took the ATC's back and the man in the hi-fi shop don't bother changing them; maybe try different speaker cable to help fine tune the sound.

I have just done the same thing, my dealer let me borrow some Tellurium Q Black II speaker cables for a couple of weeks and i've just put my order in for a pair. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 18:25, PuritéAudio said:

which may be causing your boomy bass.

Here we go again.  He sure as hell didn't say boomy bass, the OP said he wanted to tighten it up.  Before we are forced to listen to the never-ending story can you at least look for details/clarification to exactly what the OP wants? Try asking him.

On 09/10/2018 at 11:01, Bolosun said:

Thanks for the pointer, never heard of them. But I have the Kefs back in and I am happy again. Will at some point try the Harbeths or the new Reference Kefs, but in no hurry.

I just had the Ref 1 in my house for 4 days and really liked it. Ultimately a bit too much bass for the acoustics in my room, so I got the Spendor D7 instead.  Also very nice sound, and I also own the LS50s with a velodyne sub.  The Spendor was more about what I was looking for and I have a big room.  Be ore we moved I had the 50s in a small room and loved them.  The Ref 1 IMO is not for a smaller room.  That speaker says purity, authority, no nonsense.

Super Dealer
28 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Here we go again.  He sure as hell didn't say boomy bass, the OP said he wanted to tighten it up.  Before we are forced to listen to the never-ending story can you at least look for details/clarification to exactly what the OP wants? Try asking him.

Before you purchase your next outfit, read Floyd Toole’s ‘Sound Reproduction’ .

It explains everything that is required for accurate sound reproduction.

Keith

I have an even smaller room.  Bass is a big problem because of room reflections.  We are not talking deep bass here.  I cured / ameliated my problem with acoustic panels but these are not wife friendly ( I have a dedicated room).  My AE1’s work wonderfully, 18” from the back wall.