ChemMan

SpendorD7-Mcintosh MA252 Hybrid-HarbethSHL5+

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

See which speaker copes best with both.

The coping with part was equal,  both speakers dealt with this with ease.  I've been going back and forth for an hour now with all of my standard recordings.

Edited by ChemMan

The Dandy Warhols, Godless.   With the Spendor there is a kick drum beat of, one and one two, one and one two.  You don't hear this on the Harbeth.  Cymbals have nice shimmer to them on the Splendor that the Harbeth doesn't show.  Some voices are better on the Harbeth, the new amp has brought what was a greater divide closer together. 

On Janine Jansen's Summer Movement 1 Vivaldi Fours Seasons, the Spendor put you in the room with the musicians you can feel the cello and double bass. With the Harbeth you are a few rows back.  And that is really the long and short of it.  I thought I was the guy who likes to sit a few rows back.  What if I'm not?  What if I am a type Donnie Drumpf loving psychopath?  In both cases with this piece I am 4.5m away and the SPL is an even 66dB.  Sometimes I prefer that up close sound of the Spendor.  Sometimes the more laid back Harbeth.  

8 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Sometimes I prefer that up close sound of the Spendor.  Sometimes the more laid back Harbeth.  

....and there you have it....and nobody can tell you which to go for. Adrenalin vs Emotion. Which will you miss more?

The question is....What will the improved Harbeth bring to the party? Diablo

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

....and there you have it....and nobody can tell you which to go for. Adrenalin vs Emotion. Which will you miss more?

The question is....What will the improved Harbeth bring to the party? Diablo

In a word? Redrum

Super Wammer

It may help if you tweak the volume a bit for each recording. The idea is to think of it as a zoom lens - achieving the correct depth or distance from the performance, as informed by the closeness or distance contained in the recording (for example, the amount of ambience, suggesting the size of the venue).  That’s your front row versus mid stalls debate.

In effect there is only one correct volume for a given piece. 

However, I’m the first to acknowledge that this is often not domestically acceptable, so the aim is to find a system that recreates a reduced loudness facsimile that you find persuasive. 

@ChemMan Can I take it, that there is now no edginess to the D7s presentation....be it from a properly warm amp; or that you are in a more relaxed frame of mind (or both)?

Do both speakers sound equally good, at the volumes you would use 80% of the time. Do both speakers sound equally good when the wick is turned up.

Edited by CnoEvil

40 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

The Dandy Warhols, Godless.   With the Spendor there is a kick drum beat of, one and one two, one and one two.  You don't hear this on the Harbeth.  Cymbals have nice shimmer to them on the Splendor that the Harbeth doesn't show.  Some voices are better on the Harbeth, the new amp has brought what was a greater divide closer together.

Spendor you can hear the kick drum beat.

Harbeth not.

Spendor have nice shimmer on the cymbals.

Harbeth doesn't show.

That would be a deal breaker for me regards the Harbeth. I like my bit of quality tight bass and the shimmer on the cymbals is what makes them sound like cymbals.

Some voices are better on the Harbeth but only some in it's main advantage area so it seems to me you lose quite a lot of the music for some advantage in the mid range. As I say for me that would be the Harbeth out. Other opinions are as they say available,

Edited by Bit Perfect
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Can I take it, that there is now no edginess to the D7s presentation....be it from a properly warm amp; or that you are in a more relaxed frame of mind (or both)?

I don't really think it's edgy per se.  It's a bit more aggressive and analytical and dynamic.  It has marginally better timing, but you don't always notice it.

3 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I don't really think it's edgy per se.  It's a bit more aggressive and analytical and dynamic.  It has marginally better timing, but you don't always notice it.

Some people are instinctively drawn strongly one way or the other.

Like you, my preference changed according to the music/recording I was listening to. With the ams 35i/ref 205/2s, I had lived with the more forward/dynamic sound for quite a long time.....long enough to know I wanted a change.

Sometimes you have to go with your gut....and it will only be after a reasonably long period of time, that you will "know".

The Harbeths are the safer bet, but you could be missing out on that excitement.

IMO. If you choose the D7s, you should hear the Ref 1s before pulling the trigger. ...I think the McIntosh would work very nicely with them.

If you choose the Harbeths, then the Ref 1s don't do what they do, so probably less important

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

One of the most euphonious amps I have heard and was lucky enough to own, was the AMS 35i, which had remarkably low distortion. 

I agree Sir :pint:

13 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

ou should hear the Ref 1s before pulling the trigger. ...I think the McIntosh would work very nicely with them.

You think this Amp has enough to power the Kefs to show what they can do?

1 minute ago, ChemMan said:

IMO it is worth finding out....At the volumes you are likely to be listening to, I think it will be fine. McIntosh make robust amps.

8 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

The Ref 1 are not that difficult to drive. I have demo them at the shop. My Ref 3 sounds absolutely amazing with the AMS 35i. The good thing about the Ref is you can play them loud without hardening the sound. 

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 1