Lurch

Lurches 2nd Anniversary South Coast Bake Off, Sunday 18th November, PO19

Super Wammer

Thankyou guys for the great write ups and obvious appreciation of my efforts. 

However, at the end of the day, it is you guys that I need to thank, as without your ongoing support these BOs wouldn't be the success they have become.

To think 2 years ago when I started them I wondered whether there would be sufficient interest. Now they seem to have a life of their own that have also spawned a great group of friends. 

Look forward to seeing you all + missing regulars and maybe some newbies for my 60th birthday BO in late Jan/Early Feb. 

• Like 4

Super Wammer

And there I was tonight contemplating acoustic ceiling solutions and whether I could physically handle them (no) when who should phone out of the blue but Lurch with talk of exotic valve CD players and bat-shit-crazy phono stages. And news of the bake off and everyone else of course.

A good corner of the country to be in now the South Coasters have found each other.  Not to the detriment of anyone else of course..😀

Now for the much anticipated SOBO - Spin Off Bake Off

This turned out to be a comparison of John's Lector valve CD with my Sony SACD 555es. I had thought Robin was bringing his Marantz SACD but he arrived with a collection of hybrid SACD's and some very tasty mince pies, so was forgiven..

For my part, I thought John's Lector sounded more alive and engaging with a fuller base, which could become excessive. Robin, he can or may speak for himself, thought the Sony more cohesive, so much so that he experienced a musical moment during Brothers in Arms. It seems the listening position was key, the chair in one corner loaded the base level markedly compared with other side of the room. Having rotated listening positions a few times, confusion set in so the mince pies and coffee appeared.

Led me to reflect on all the reviews involving a group of listeners one has read and how dependant the outcome of the review depends on the location of the listener.

And finally some pics of the SOBO, apologies for the quality

IMG_20181127_122503460.jpg

IMG_20181127_122443532.jpg

Hi Lurch, I met wizmax at last Sunday's Audiojumble and he told me about your legendary bake-offs (well, the chips really). I am based in Haslemere and know Chichester well (even when there was a hifi shop there). I see I joined the wam in 2006...blimey! I have been much more involved with AOS and less so Pinkfish as at that time I was heavily involved in DIY stuff (Amps/Gainclones/Dacs/Mods of other kit etc)

I would be interested in attending your next bake off and can bring some DIY stuff if anyone would be interested (it has been tested as safe!)

Regards Rob.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Hi Lurch, I met wizmax at last Sunday's Audiojumble and he told me about your legendary bake-offs (well, the chips really). I am based in Haslemere and know Chichester well (even when there was a hifi shop there). I see I joined the wam in 2006...blimey! I have been much more involved with AOS and less so Pinkfish as at that time I was heavily involved in DIY stuff (Amps/Gainclones/Dacs/Mods of other kit etc)

I would be interested in attending your next bake off and can bring some DIY stuff if anyone would be interested (it has been tested as safe!)

Regards Rob.

Rob, you'd be more than welcome at the next one which will be in May (will post details after Kegworth) and there will be plenty of interest in your DIY kit. 

Yep I remember visiting Chichester hifi in the late 80s, very small place in little London and mostly Rega, Linn & Naim stuff. Ended up buying my 1st rig from Freetime Audio in the Tricorn, Portsmouth. The only other local options at the time were Hopkins hifi in Fratton Rd or Portsmouth hifi (a low rent version of Richer sounds). 

Look forward to seeing you and your kit in May. 

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Rob, you'd be more than welcome at the next one which will be in May (will post details after Kegworth) and there will be plenty of interest in your DIY kit. 

Yep I remember visiting Chichester hifi in the late 80s, very small place in little London and mostly Rega, Linn & Naim stuff. Ended up buying my 1st rig from Freetime Audio in the Tricorn, Portsmouth. The only other local options at the time were Hopkins hifi in Fratton Rd or Portsmouth hifi (a low rent version of Richer sounds). 

Look forward to seeing you and your kit in May. 

Thanks very much John.

On 20/02/2019 at 14:54, Puffin said:

Thanks very much John.

John's next BO thread is up Rob, if you are still interested, places going fast.

Super Wammer