Lurch

Lurches 2nd Anniversary South Coast Bake Off, Sunday 18th November, PO19

I'll bring the Rogers LS5/9's John, be interesting to compare them to Davids' LS3/5a.

Edited by wizmax

John love to come along please.

Happy to bring any kit from my list.

Super Wammer
21 hours ago, chrisph said:

John love to come along please.

Happy to bring any kit from my list.

Your on the list Chris. 

Are the AGs of a transportable size? If so be nice to have an listen to them. 

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Your on the list Chris. 

Are the AGs of a transportable size? If so be nice to have an listen to them. 

Thanks John. I can bring them along.

Super Wammer

I'm going to bring my Ruark Epilogues in addition to my Pioneer N50a network player, which I'm going to demonstrate as a flash memory player (because it sounds really, really good used that way).

Chris - the Anthony Gallo SA has a built in crossover, so do you use it in a 2 way system with a sub woofer in your home? (And does it drive the bass, for which it seems eminently suitable?)

How would it fit into either system at the Bake Off do you think? I note its unbalanced. (The Phono, pre and power amps I'm bringing for Room 2 can be connected either balanced or unbalanced.)

Jack NSM

7 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Chris - the Anthony Gallo SA has a built in crossover, so do you use it in a 2 way system with a sub woofer in your home? (And does it drive the bass, for which it seems eminently suitable?)

How would it fit into either system at the Bake Off do you think? I note its unbalanced. (The Phono, pre and power amps I'm bringing for Room 2 can be connected either balanced or unbalanced.)

Jack NSM

Jack,

I use the AG SA to drive a second bass coil on the speakers rather than a separate sub-woofer.  I am interested in getting views on the effectiveness of this approach from some experienced "ears".

As you have noted it uses unbalanced RCA connections or you can even feed it with the speaker output of the main amp but this means a bit of messing about with speaker cabling which is not always practical.  

My approach at home is to use the two outputs from a Myryad Pre Amp, one driving the AG SA and the other the main amp. I could bring that Preamp along as well.  Another approach to connection is to use an RCA cable splitter connector to share the pre output if only one is available - I can bring them along as well.

Chris

How do you match the sensitivity (and therefore volume) of the AG amp on the bass driver with the amp driving the rest of the speaker? Can the crossover in the AG do that for you?

12 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

How do you match the sensitivity (and therefore volume) of the AG amp on the bass driver with the amp driving the rest of the speaker? Can the crossover in the AG do that for you?

On the front panel there is a level control for Left and Right channel plus a Boost trimmer for each channel on the front panel that can be adjusted from -3dB to +6db.  I leave the boost level set to 0dB and then adjust the level controls to suit what is being played.  I suspect there is also something internal going on within the amp as the manual has the following statement "...SA isn’t merely an amplifier but includes a continuously variable low-pass crossover and gain/volume functions."

Chris - I strongly suggest you bring the whole kit and caboodle. And the other thing we need to know is which of the three speakers coming have a bi-wirable facility. These are LS3/5a, LS5s and Ruark Prologues.

Very interesting amp, imo.

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

The LS5/9s are bi-wirable.

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Chris - I strongly suggest you bring the whole kit and caboodle. And the other thing we need to know is which of the three speakers coming have a bi-wirable facility. These are LS3/5a, LS5s and Ruark Prologues.

Mine are Epilogues, so tiny little monkeys, but they are biwireable.

5 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Jack - will bring it along.

Shame I couldn't make the last or this one. There is definitely some kit I would like to hear. Maybe the next one!

Cheers Lee