plasticpenguin

Monitor Audio Owners Club

I have a pair of MA Studio 2 bookshelf speakers - which will be from the mid '90's?  Amazing little things, I love them.  Surprised the don't get talked about much.  Bargain if you can find them second hand I would say.

Edited by Hip-Priest

Super Wammer

I love my ma MA5 mk 2.

Such a beautiful airy  sound and great bass.

1547490476782842.png

• Like 1

MA seem to have a iffy reputation with modern hi-fi enthusiasts, but I just don't get it. IMHO they as good as any speaker within their respective price bracket. 

Edited by plasticpenguin

Posted (edited)

I love MA speakers since I heard the Studio 10’s back in 1992 and had to buy a pair. Had them since this time and now bought a pair of rosewood Platinum 200 Mk11’s and love them as well. Here’s a few pics:

64A6D5FD-15D6-410F-9BC6-F2547A0DD383.jpeg

3EF5C0BE-0D50-42DC-A2A5-5036B8C9FAAB.jpeg

F7128D01-8D43-48E9-8E23-48AB6CEA9C53.jpeg

3D41BB59-7BD0-438B-8C1E-5CDE15696FDC.jpeg

ABBD428E-9A59-4A2C-93EE-E6A62A0E16F8.jpeg

C5062AC2-06E1-4BF9-BA2F-9D0CD81D2D70.jpeg

A4C6D68C-E396-4002-9CA2-E14FB9C15BF5.jpeg

Edited by Dylan Morris

Posted (edited)
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:30, plasticpenguin said:

Love or loathe the brand, they have always been popular. Personally love'em. Owned the RS6 for around 8 years with Arcam and Leema amplification. They were slagged off by a number of professional and amateur reviewers.

Other models made by the brand that I like are: GS10, Platinum PL100.

One criticism is they sound bright. it's very true if they are mismatched - they sound wrong. On a poersonal note they sound fabulous for their respective price bracket. That said, I'm not too keen on the newer Gold models. Not sure if the ribbon tweeter is the culprit or not. 

My second ever demo when l was an Audiophile pup was Cambridge audio Pre/power Cambridge Audio CD2 with Monitor Audio 300MD? Blooming brilliant sound could not believe my ears something could sound as good as this- a super smooth sound.:^

Edited by Tarzan

5 hours ago, Tarzan said:

My second ever demo when l was an Audiophile pup was Cambridge audio Pre/power Cambridge Audio CD2 with Monitor Audio 300MD? Blooming brilliant sound could not believe my ears something could sound as good as this- a super smooth sound.:^

On the flip side, I've heard the RS6s with the Cambridge 840 (MKI version) and it sound so sterile and unnatural.

Again, as I've always carped on about: Synergy is king. Stuff the big names. A well matched 3 or 4 star set-up is better than a mismatched 5 star kit IMHO.

There are a few comments about MA hating. I've not come across anything what is it people dislike? Looking inside my cheap as chips bx1 they look very well constructed for the money.

13 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

On the flip side, I've heard the RS6s with the Cambridge 840 (MKI version) and it sound so sterile and unnatural.

Again, as I've always carped on about: Synergy is king. Stuff the big names. A well matched 3 or 4 star set-up is better than a mismatched 5 star kit IMHO.

Just remembered the model Cambridge Audio C75/P75.....this would have been around early nineties.... now that was synergy with the MA 300MD the metal dome tweeter was as smooth as silk.

2 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Just remembered the model Cambridge Audio C75/P75.....this would have been around early nineties.... now that was synergy with the MA 300MD the metal dome tweeter was as smooth as silk.

I've no experience with that Cambridge set-up or those Monitor Audios.

One thing I do know is newer MAs and Cambridge doesn't mix.

As I mentioned in a post about speakers, companies want more detail and that detail can merge in what some interpret as bright or harsh.

14 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I've no experience with that Cambridge set-up or those Monitor Audios.

One thing I do know is newer MAs and Cambridge doesn't mix.

As I mentioned in a post about speakers, companies want more detail and that detail can merge in what some interpret as bright or harsh.

Good point- it is certainly impressive initially...…….:geek:

57 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Good point- it is certainly impressive initially...…….:geek:

It's only based on my own experience of mixing MAs with Cambridge. IMHO, it doesn't work.

Likewise, I wouldn't mix Cyrus or Rotel or Naim with those RS6s. They need to be caressed with tamer amplification: Arcam, Creek, Roksan (Kandy and Caspian), midrange Marantz, Audio Analogue...

RSs domed tweeter can be provoked, and brands such as Naim aren't known for their sweet and smooth top end.

BTW, for anyone that's interested...

There are a pair of GS60's for sale on ebay at the moment - excellent VfM I would say.

Nothing to do with me, just pointing out for any Wammers looking to try the MA sound