The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

plasticpenguin

Monitor Audio Owners Club

Nah...Why would I send you a PM?

Agree aesthetics is very subjective. I just like traditional boxes.

Well I think they're pretty traditional

image.jpeg

What model is that? Looks like a MR6 or S8.

Edited by plasticpenguin

No mate, they're studio 50's but here's a pic of the actual ones available. I think they were @ £4K new but he's after about £1100. To be confirmed though. Absolute bargain really.

image.jpeg

Edited by Slightly Athletic

Ah right. When you said Studio 50s I thought you meant these:

image.jpeg.89097dc3c49028a635984749f876d356.jpeg

No probs PP, at least the difference is clear. 

I appreciate that I'm promoting a friends speakers but he's been a member of this forum (& PFM, AoS too) for many years so if anyone is interested then I assure you, deal with confidence. I'm promoting the sale because he wants to store 'em at my place 

so for my sake... 

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2018 at 13:32, plasticpenguin said:

Light on bass? Wow, didn't expect that. IME they can have flabby bass if the amp doesn't have the balls to control the extreme frequencies.

In my experience, they need an amp that has vice-like grip on the metal domed tweeter and taut enough to really drive the bass: Creek Evo2 was brilliant at that, as was the Roksan Kandy, mid range Arcams, Marantz...  

My amp is Arcam A29, so pretty recent and decent enough. Still find the bass light...

...However my last speakers were in my old flat (acoustically better shaped) plus were PMC TL’s - hence my missing some clean beefy bass. 

Perfectly happy with the RS6’s and have had them about 18mths now, which for me and my kit-swapping tendencies is a lifetime. 

However, I’ve got an itch to scratch re going back to some PMC’s - prob twenty 23’s. Or am highly leaning towards some IPL acoustics transmission lines and a self build. 

Edited by Amormusic

15 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

My amp is Arcam A29, so pretty recent and decent enough. Still find the bass light...

...However my last speakers were in my old flat (acoustically better shaped) plus were PMC TL’s - hence my missing some clean beefy bass. 

Perfectly happy with the RS6’s and have had them about 18mths now, which for me and my kit-swapping tendencies is a lifetime. 

However, I’ve got an itch to scratch re going back to some PMC’s - prob twenty 23’s. Or am highly leaning towards some IPL acoustics transmission lines and a self build. 

The A29 should be fine with RS6s, but having purchased the RS6s in 2006 I've heard them with a plethora of amps - they need good amplification to make them flourish.

Did hear the PMC 23s with Rega Elicit-R and a Yamaha receiver. Sounded impressive.

Not heard Rega E-R at all. No plans for new amp in the immediate. The Arcam is actually pretty good imo.

Currently Using QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire, which when I recently compared with mates cheap, billy no name, copper wire is not as good sound-wise. So gonna go back to Linn K20 imminently.

The plan is to get some new speakers soon - As above... I do love PMCs (they are awesome), but am also massively tempted by the IPLs. 

Longer term I am planning to get an Abrahamsen V2.0up amp in place of the Arcam, but funds and one thing at a time!!

But Before amp upgrade I want rid of the Chromecast Audio, to be replaced by either a decent DAC in between, or more likely a dedicated streamer, along lines of CA Azur 851n.

All of this will take me a while... PS sorry for thread derail.

23 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Not heard Rega E-R at all. No plans for new amp in the immediate. The Arcam is actually pretty good imo.

Currently Using QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire, which when I recently compared with mates cheap, billy no name, copper wire is not as good sound-wise. So gonna go back to Linn K20 imminently.

The plan is to get some new speakers soon - As above... I do love PMCs (they are awesome), but am also massively tempted by the IPLs. 

Longer term I am planning to get an Abrahamsen V2.0up amp in place of the Arcam, but funds and one thing at a time!!

But Before amp upgrade I want rid of the Chromecast Audio, to be replaced by either a decent DAC in between, or more likely a dedicated streamer, along lines of CA Azur 851n.

All of this will take me a while... PS sorry for thread derail.

The Rega was a good amp - I guess along the same lines as the Pulse in terms of speed and taut bass.

Arcam, IMHO, have a distinct presentation that is a typical house sound that matches well with MAs.

My MA journey started about 20 years ago, when I was auditioning for some new speakers with £500 burning a hole in my pocket - seemed like a huge amount of money at the time.

I was anticipating buying a pair of Mission 752's that were quite popular at the time but was distinctly underwhelmed by them. I went through several hi-fi shops listening to all and sundry and after much angst only two speakers stood out; a pair of Ruark Talisman IIs and a pair of MA PMC700's, both of which were beyond my budget!

In the end I bought nothing and a year or so later came across the Ruark's second hand and snapped them up.

After a house revamp, when my Ruark's had to go and all my hi-fi got packed away, that was then followed by a house move and then an extension... I was eventually able to get the hi-fi out again and decided now was the opportunity to try out some MA's. After a round about route via some Silver RS6's, I again was very fortunate to come across my present GR20's for sale 2nd hand right here on the 'Wam, about 7 years ago. Now they may or may not have been the best speakers for their original asking price, but for £500 (that number again!) they were likely to be well beyond my expectations. TBH, I never expected to be able to afford such a beast of a speaker.

I haven't been disappointed and really love their presentation. Just starting to look around for something different now but keep getting cold feet as I don't want to lose what I've got!

Any one of you here owned a MA Studio 15? There is very little information on the internet as compared with the bigger brother MA Studio 20 .I heard this 25 years ago in Singapore and the sound was fabulous and awesome and I was so addicted and it became one of my dream loudspeakers.

Attached with the photos of the Studio 15 from the internet.

Screenshot_20190120-195350__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190121-160441__01.jpg

Edited by Mikemaxcel

I think it was the Studio 20 that was What Hi-Fi's reference speaker for many years.

My guess is that it would have the same relationship to those as the current GX/GS/GR 100/10 had/has to the 200/20...

I think this was before the ceramic coating on the mid-bass drive units, possibly also the dimpling to disperse resonance, although I'm no expert on MA history.

There are a pair of GR10's on that auction site at the moment, IMHO possibly priced a little on the high side?

I’m back to correct my lack of bass comment for the RS6’s.

I’ve moved positioning more centrally to accommodate a fireplace (in corner). 

As part of this I punted my QED Silver Anniversary as it was too long and replaced with K20. 

Positioning + copper wire... What a difference.... It’s been like this for a month or so and they definitely have far more bass welly than before. 

But alas they’ll be gone soon!

Edited by Amormusic