plasticpenguin

Monitor Audio Owners Club

Love or loathe the brand, they have always been popular. Personally love'em. Owned the RS6 for around 8 years with Arcam and Leema amplification. They were slagged off by a number of professional and amateur reviewers.

Other models made by the brand that I like are: GS10, Platinum PL100.

One criticism is they sound bright. it's very true if they are mismatched - they sound wrong. On a poersonal note they sound fabulous for their respective price bracket. That said, I'm not too keen on the newer Gold models. Not sure if the ribbon tweeter is the culprit or not. 

• Like 1

I still own the R852 MD from the 80s......sealed speaker that can still hold its head up today....and quite a different sound to modern MAs.

Mine are Black Ash and look like this (but on Heybrook HB1 Stands):

Image result for monitor audio r852md image

Edited by CnoEvil

they look nice and retroey.

2 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Like me...but without the nice!

Hehe... Do you walk around playing with your yoyo? :D

I still have RS6’s... for now...

Theyre alright. But light on bass. Are fine combo with my Arcam amp buy we’re godawful bright on the end of my previous Cyrus kit!

Will be changing up soon for some IPL acoustics TL speakers. 

2 hours ago, Amormusic said:

I still have RS6’s... for now...

Theyre alright. But light on bass. Are fine combo with my Arcam amp buy we’re godawful bright on the end of my previous Cyrus kit!

Will be changing up soon for some IPL acoustics TL speakers. 

Light on bass? Wow, didn't expect that. IME they can have flabby bass if the amp doesn't have the balls to control the extreme frequencies.

In my experience, they need an amp that has vice-like grip on the metal domed tweeter and taut enough to really drive the bass: Creek Evo2 was brilliant at that, as was the Roksan Kandy, mid range Arcams, Marantz...  

In love with MA speakers too ...since about 15 years, despite they can be harsh on some records and it's true require kind of drive from amplifier.
I started with small Bronze B1, then jumped on Silver S6 with different flavor of amplifiers.

The big shock was when I got Gold GS20 driven by Primare Pre30 + A30.2 running 2-4 bi-wiring of MA Pure Flow Silver, the cable used inside their speakers ...a true Gold pairing.

4 hours ago, your momo said:

In love with MA speakers too ...since about 15 years, despite they can be harsh on some records and it's true require kind of drive from amplifier.
I started with small Bronze B1, then jumped on Silver S6 with different flavor of amplifiers.

The big shock was when I got Gold GS20 driven by Primare Pre30 + A30.2 running 2-4 bi-wiring of MA Pure Flow Silver, the cable used inside their speakers ...a true Gold pairing.

The RS6s needed good amplification to drive them well. At 6 ohms they could be a tricky sucker. The Leema Pulse really ticked all the RS6 boxes (excuse the pun): The grip on the top end and LFs were a revelation. The 40 watt Arcam tonally was a great match but turn it up over 11 o'clock on the volume and the Arcam could struggle.

If any of you fans fancy trying a pair of studio 50's (which many an aficionado think are the best MA 's) I know of a pair available which have brand new drivers fitted,  plinths, boxed &  in great condition, please get in touch.

45 minutes ago, Slightly Athletic said:

If any of you fans fancy trying a pair of studio 50's (which many an aficionado think are the best MA 's) I know of a pair available which have brand new drivers fitted,  plinths, boxed &  in great condition, please get in touch.

No thanks. No matter how big a fanboy I am, I wouldn't swap them for my PMCs.

49 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

No thanks. No matter how big a fanboy I am, I wouldn't swap them for my PMCs.

Well PP,  I'm not surprised if you like PMC's😜

54 minutes ago, Slightly Athletic said:

Well PP,  I'm not surprised if you like PMC's😜

And those Studio 50s look fugly.

Yeah my TB2is are such a great match with the Leema.

That said, I still prefer the RS6s over any other price compatible floorstander. I remember demoing the the newer RX6. They were good but didn't have sonic magic of the RS6. I couldn't put my finger on why though. 

Edited by plasticpenguin

I take it you're not gonna bombard me with Pm's PP. I agree about the fugliness.... cos they ain't mine!  But beauty is in the Japs eye of the beholder so for everyone else out there then there's still a pair of top Ma's.