bonzo

Analog Shootout at Anamighty Sound, Paris

http://zero-distortion.org/analog-shoot-anamighty-sound/

Compare notes of:

• Thrax Phono (17,500 Eur), with Anamighty Sound’s own 4000 Eur Le Phono, and Phasemation EA 5000 (7,000 Eur)
  • STST Motus II (suspended DD, 7000 Euro), PTP Lenco (2800 Eur), Doehmann Helix 2 (24,000 Eur), Technics SP10r in Schick Plinth
  • Schroeder CB and Schick tonearms
  • Allaerts boron mk2 to Finish Gold.
  • Allaerts, Top Wing Red Sparrow, MSL Ultra Eminent, Art 1000

Anamighty Main1.jpeg

Anamighty Main.jpeg

Anamighty Space.JPG

Anamighty rack.JPG

Doehmann 2.jpeg

STST.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting to see another company is moding a Denon 103 for their "house" cartridge.  It was always my go to cartridge in the old days being incredible value for money and if ever you can get your ears around an Expert Stylus modified one (with the paratrace stylus fitted) methinks you will not believe that you can get that kind of performance for the money spent.

Now this is where magazines fall down - it would be great to see a shoot out of a modified 103 as in the article above with an Expert Paratrace and the Hana range (as they are all approx the same price range the Denon is less than £200 and less than £300 for the mod) 

The Hana is a very good cartridge but not in this league imo. I highly recommend that and the Art 9 for good value carts, along with SPUs. I think SPUs continue to do what they do well even against higher priced MCs, but Hana and the Art 9 lose out on their attributes, there are other carts albeit at a higher price point which can do those attributes better. 

As for the Denon, I don't know the expert stylus mod. Anamighty does a variety of mods including completely changing the coils and retaining only the body. Their cart requires a very tough phono as it is only 0.1ish output.

All here have a 'signature'. The SPUs are mighty fine, and I would also include Decca.

Have still to hear an Allaerts. I have to say, however, that my personal preference is for some of the high-end Japanese products. The combination I used to run was a Transfiguration Phoenix with a Hashimoto SUT and I have still to hear anything that is/was seriously any major improvement. They are also relatively decent value these days, though that is of course a comparative term.

Yes, the Decca, old and modded by John Wright are excellent. I have compared the London reference to some high end carts and it holds its own. I like the transfiguration but heard it is tough to set up, like the Decca. Also Deccas do best on linear trackers and fidelity research from what I have heard. 

The SPUs definitely have a huge signature but it is unique to them and fun 

I ran my Transfig on my Well Tempered. To me, no more difficult to set up than any other. They seem (well mine did) a little more sensitive to VTA than some others, but that was the difference between very good and excellent.

I'd love, when and if funds permit, to run a second deck with an SPU. Very different 'sound' in some ways, but I agree. Hugely enjoyable.

12 minutes ago, rabski said:

I ran my Transfig on my Well Tempered. To me, no more difficult to set up than any other. They seem (well mine did) a little more sensitive to VTA than some others, but that was the difference between very good and excellent.

I'd love, when and if funds permit, to run a second deck with an SPU. Very different 'sound' in some ways, but I agree. Hugely enjoyable.

Have you been reading my diary?