Tony_J

Kegworth 2019 - Suitcase Challenge

Super Wammer

Here ya go, collars able flat pack speaker stands, available from various oap shopping catalogues. 

(Was my 90yr old Uncles shower stool) 

Now stop your prevaricating Eddie and get ya system sorted. 

DSC_0226.JPG

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Now stop prevarication Eddie and get ya system sorted. 

Yeah good idea John :) but if I was to exhibit again I'd just bring a set of real hi-fi stands I think, but I think I might try something just a little bit smaller than the last time, I doubt very much it'll all fit into a suitcase though, but it'll all just go on the back seat of the car Im sure and maybe be just one trip to bring it all in.  

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

Yeah good idea John :) but if I was to exhibit again I'd just bring a set of real hi-fi stands I think, but I think I might try something just a little bit smaller than the last time, I doubt very much it'll all fit into a suitcase though, but it'll all just go on the back seat of the car Im sure and maybe be just one trip to bring it all in.  

Eddie, stop bending the rules! Ok, if you insist, maybe you could sneak the stands in down your trousers; if you get frisked at the entrance you'll just need to explain they're not speaker stands, you're just pleased/aroused to be there.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

you're just pleased/aroused to be there.

xD That would be true !

Super Wammer

I love this idea but I am already commited to showing and taking a system . Would it be okay to take a second system that fit the critera and have that to show as well ? I would not expect to in the competition as a full entry but it would be fun just to see what could be done ?

Tony any guidance ?

• Like 1

Great idea!

I actually have 3 systems that I can fit in one suitcase at the same time each with its own source.

How many systems you will be able to set up and demo on the day given the available space and time?

Headphones should be disallowed obviously.

I think you also need to say that the system must include the source, amplification, stereo speakers, control and any interconnections (e.g. cables, network).

Internet access is allowed to be either part of the system or the system can connect to an available internet connection e.g. WiFi? 

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

10 hours ago, bencat said:

I love this idea but I am already commited to showing and taking a system . Would it be okay to take a second system that fit the critera and have that to show as well ? I would not expect to in the competition as a full entry but it would be fun just to see what could be done ?

Tony any guidance ?

Andrew -

No problem with that - if you want it to be considered as a competition entry that is OK too, but as per the rules, you need to be able to demonstrate to me that it did actually fit into your suitcase.

9 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Great idea!

I actually have 3 systems that I can fit in one suitcase at the same time each with its own source.

How many systems you will be able to set up and demo on the day given the available space and time?

Headphones should be disallowed obviously.

I think you also need to say that the system must include the source, amplification, stereo speakers, control and any interconnections (e.g. cables, network).

Internet access is allowed to be either part of the system or the system can connect to an available internet connection e.g. WiFi? 

If you can fit multiple systems into the same suitcase, then fill yer boots. And yes, my assumption is that the system includes source, amplification, and speakers, plus any cables/controls/whatever. Internet access/access via WiFi etc is definitely allowed - that's one of the major digital sources these days - but making sure that you can get it to work either via the hotel network or via 3G/4G is, of course, your problem. And yes, we are talking systems that a room full of people can listen to simultaneously, so it is either speakers or you'd better bring ~ 20 sets of headphones and an amp with lots of outputs...

39 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

or you'd better bring ~ 20 sets of headphones and an amp with lots of outputs...

I bet some Wammers on here could actually do that :D

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Bring the best one!

Or bring all three if you like, the more hi-fi's the better, it is a enthusiasts hifi show after all, we're all completely mad for it :)

Are you taking DIY entries? If so, when do we need to confirm entry by? There are a few thing I need to think about / research before I know if this is viable with the project I have in mind :)

5 minutes ago, bobovox said:

Are you taking DIY entries? If so, when do we need to confirm entry by? There are a few thing I need to think about / research before I know if this is viable with the project I have in mind :)

No problem with DIY systems.

To enter you need to sign up as an exhibitor on the exhibitor spreadsheet - see the other thread in this section. Bear in mind that as an exhibitor you get to pay for the hotel room, which also doubles as your sleeping accommodation, but you pay that much nearer to the show date.

There isn't a time limit as such other than the date of the show and when all the rooms get filled. If there are more exhibitors than rooms, there will be some that don't get to take part. There may be opportunities for late additions because people drop out at the last minute.

Looking forward to giving them a listen!

From the spreadsheet entry, it looks like you are using the Beocreate tools to implement the crossover/correction/amplification, which hasn't been mentioned in the forum before, so can I encourage you to start a thread in the DIY section so we can follow the progress of the build?