Tony_J

Kegworth 2019 - Suitcase Challenge

OK...this is an idea that I have mentioned a couple of times and has come up again on the 2019 spreadsheet thread.

These days, it is perfectly possible to put together a system that will give a good account of itself in a hotel room such as the ones we use at Kegworth, and yet is compact enough that you would be able to fit it in your suitcase, along with your toothbrush, changes of clothes, etc. for the weekend. Obviously, a vinyl front end might be a bit of a stretch, but there are plenty of digital options to choose from, and compact amps and speakers a-plenty. So the fact that you may be travelling to the show via public transport is no excuse for not taking part as an exhibitor.

So, hence the challenge. Sign up for a room at Kegworth 2019, and show up with the system in your suitcase, and you are all set. The prize, to the owner of the best sounding system (in my opinion): A bottle of single malt of my choosing, plus the kudos, of course.

The rules are simple:

- To qualify, fill out a row on the show exhibitors spreadsheet with your system details and indicate in the last column that your system is an entry in the suitcase challenge so I can make sure cop an earfull  at a suitable point - I will aim to do the judging on the Saturday afternoon/evening before the show opens.

- You are allowed one bag (suitcase, holdall, or rucksack), the complete system and the rest of your stuff must fit inside it, and you need to demonstrate that fact to me at the show weekend before setting up.

- Piss-taking of the form of using excessively large suitcases will lead to disqualification.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Ooh I've been after some Kudos for a while, I rather fancy the C20 if that's ok :)

You will note that it was kudos with a small k - and you'd be doing rather well to fit a pair of C20's in a suitcase...:D

5 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

You will note that it was kudos with a small k - and you'd be doing rather well to fit a pair of C20's in a suitcase...:D

Don't worry I'd get an Uber back to London if I won a new pair of Kudos. :)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Seriously though, if I can get some speakers that fit we're on.

Excellent!

• Upvote 1

That is a very nice idea actually. If I can source some decent speakers fit for the task and of course that are suitably sonically matched to attempt to win the challenge I might even enter myself (If there are still spaces even come closer to the time). I still have some components here which I just don't really want to get rid of. My big system does most/certain things/nuances better but some of the cheaper stuff still can really sing and can compete in other ways, and are only a very small percentage of the cost (new retail cost anyway). A suitcase may be a problem though as I dont own one, and some of the suitcases you can buy these days are huge, you could possibly fit a 'small' pair of floorstanders in some. How about two large holdalls? :) but it wouldn't really be the suitcase challenge then. Or maybe you could just call it the travelling light challenge :D

Would make the show interesting a travelling light section. I love what some of these smaller systems can do.

• Upvote 1

I've updated the rules to allow a holdall or a rucksack instead of a suitcase, but you only get one. 

• Like 1

Of course, "small" doesn't mean "cheap" necessarily...just look at the price you can pay for a pair of LS3/5A for example...so by the same token, it should be possible for a suitcase system to make good noises.

2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Piss-taking of the form of using excessively large suitcases will lead to disqualification.

>:( 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I've updated the rules to allow a holdall or a rucksack instead of a suitcase, but you only get one. 

Now you got me thinking :D

Could be a tough challenge actually, especially if you cant bring some stands or a cheeky little sub to help things along. How about the all you can carry in one go challenge :D (Theres always one that wants to bend the rules isnt there :roll: xD)  

If theres only one entry do you win by default ? :)

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

What size suitcase is allowed, taking into account your stipulation about taking the piss?

I've just checked the dimensions of the Kii Three and they appear to be 400mm x 400mm x 200mm (16" x 16" x 8"). So if a 32" x 16" x 8" suitcase is allowed, and that's not huge in Suitcaseland, Keith @PuritéAudio might just be up for this!

Im looking for used suitcases now :D 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

What size suitcase is allowed, taking into account your stipulation about taking the piss?

I've just checked the dimensions of the Kii Three and they appear to be 400mm x 400mm x 200mm (16" x 16" x 8"). So if a 32" x 16" x 8" suitcase is allowed, and that's not huge in Suitcaseland, Keith @PuritéAudio might just be up for this!

The idea is that this is to open up the opportunity for those that might do public transport to get to the show. So to qualify, it should be plausible that you could travel to the venue on plane/bus/train without 3rd party assistance. As always, the judge's decision will be final... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

The idea is that this is to open up the opportunity for those that might do public transport to get to the show. So to qualify, it should be plausible that you could travel to the venue on plane/bus/train without 3rd party assistance. As always, the judge's decision will be final... 

Its a great idea, the only downfall I can see with it is the lack of speaker stands, sideboards etc can be used to good effect but we all know stands (or floorstanders) are king when it comes a good stereo field and getting the best from your sound set up.