The Chronicals

Deleted Due To Monumental Bellends

34 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

So you don't play any instrument, people you know do, so thanks for clearing that up. Got there in the end, so my assumption was placed correctly.

Since when does playing an instrument have anything to do with assessing sound quality? However listening does. Besides, a DAC is not an instrument (no hi-fi equipment is).

26 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Reviews are fantastic and have guided me into making some exceptional choices with my equipment and I thank the people who have taken the time to write them, especially those doing it off their own backs without any industry influence. Always a more genuine review that way.

If you read the thread, properly this time, you will find the answer in there to your question.

You are a very good writer, I'll give you that.

It's a pity that you can't see my posting for the different opinion but only as something that can potentially ruin your sales pitch...

6 minutes ago, tuga said:

Since when does playing an instrument have anything to do with assessing sound quality? However listening does. Besides, a DAC is not an instrument (no hi-fi equipment is).

You are a very good writer, I'll give you that.

It's a pity that you can't see my posting for the different opinion but only as something that can potentially ruin your sales pitch...

Right there is your issue in hifi life fella. You can't listen to what you don't know how it actually, truly sounds, and the sound is manipulated through the instrument and techniques. You have the lazy approach, just 'listening'. Easy to do, requires no real commitment.

I try to write a little, so thank you.

Lol, you ruin nothing despite your intentions and insinuations.  The DAC is fantastic and much reduced price from new, I highly doubt anyone interested in a fantastic NOS Dac will listen to combative approach to discounting the great unit without hearing it, so all good here dude. Having looked through many of your previous posts, I have to say, you really do need get out more.

Edited by The Chronicals
  • Haha 1

I think "opamps" using feedback can struggle with the raw output from a DAC and that is where the improvement seen (heard) with these "NOS" DACs is most significant.

As an aside If you measure the output voltage of an unfiltered NOS DAC  with an old school AC meter the voltage is only down about 0.6dBat 20kHz iirc.

I have been running "NOS" type DACs for 20 years. 

Edited by dave

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, tuga said:

The problem in my view is that you are just not comparing "ringing" and "no ringing" because NOS produces aliasing and significant high-frequency roll-off. I wonder what your opinion would be if you were to roll-off the treble of an OS DAC?

The roll-off and the harmonic and intermodulation distortion will probably have more impact that the absence of ringing.

I haven't actually said I was only comparing ringing and no ringing, only that in my view that seemed the most significant factor upsetting musical enjoyment. The DDDac actually measures very well in distortion terms. Have a look at the published measurements on the DDDac site.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Juancho said:

I haven't actually said I was only comparing ringing and no ringing, only that in my view that seemed the most significant factor upsetting musical enjoyment. The DDDac actually measures very well in distortion terms. Have a look at the published measurements on the DDDac site.

I can't say that the measurements are impressive but I guess they're acceptable if you feed the DAC high sample-rate files.

Super Dealer

They are very acceptable with red book, and most importantly show no pre ringing. Most importantly the DACs provide tireless anologueesque sound. Despite all the attention to psus and clocks on my flagship model, a basic model with no reclocking and much simpler power supplies provides tireless listening with great detail and a natural sound signature.

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Right there is your issue in hifi life fella. You can't listen to what you don't know how it actually, truly sounds, and the sound is manipulated through the instrument and techniques. You have the lazy approach, just 'listening'. Easy to do, requires no real commitment.

I try to write a little, so thank you.

Lol, you ruin nothing despite your intentions and insinuations.  The DAC is fantastic and much reduced price from new, I highly doubt anyone interested in a fantastic NOS Dac will listen to combative approach to discounting the great unit without hearing it, so all good here dude. Having looked through many of your previous posts, I have to say, you really do need get out more.

I started reading the thread with interest and then it descended into what might be called the usual... Not blaming any side or party here but please can I just clear one thing up as it was a remarkably detailed review you opened the thread with: do you have any commercial or financial interest in the Orchid? I suspect not but let me ask the direct question to confirm.

Thanks, and thanks again for the time you have taken to review and respond.

Edited by TheFlash

7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I started reading the thread with interest and then it descended into what might be called the usual... Not blaming any side or party here but please can I just clear one thing up as it was a remarkably detailed review you opened the thread with: do you have any commercial or financial interest in the Orchid other than one for sale in the Classifieds? I suspect not but let me ask the direct question to confirm.

Thanks, and thanks again for the time you have taken to review and respond.

No not at all, I bought it to try, thought I'd do a review for others to get an idea about it (had countless emails asking me what it was like on another forum after mentioning I plumbed for one - so decided to summarise it all which extended when I sourced and tried the various chips at hgreat cost). I  can see that such efforts though, on this forum anyway, does bring out the worst in people! It's sad that we live in such a cynical and critical world.  I was going to publish the reviews I  did a few more for other bits of kit I bought like a Borderpatrol SE DAC (terrible), Marantz HD Dac (wonderful)- (both already sold) but decided its far too combative on here at the least. Shame though, as I personally value such insight being that I am not a rich person, so generally I have to move things on after trying to afford the next one and value others experience before initial investment. 

Edited by The Chronicals
  • Sad 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, The Chronicals said:

No not at all, I bought it to try, thought I'd do a review for others to get an idea about it (has countless emails asking me what it was like on another forum - so decide to summarise). I  can see that such efforts though, on this forum anyway, does bring out the worst in people! It's sad that we live in such a cynical and critical world.  I was going to publish the reviews I  did a few more for other bits of kit I bought like a Borderpatrol SE DAC, Marantz HD Dac - (both already sold) but decided its far too combative on here at the least. Shame though, as I personally value such insight being that I am not a rich person, so generally I have to move things on after trying to afford the next one. 

Thanks for confirming. Forums are an open target for “shilling” where someone posts a supposedly objective review but actually has a commercial or other (conflict of) interest in doing so, and this may explain why some people react more strongly than you might have hoped when you shared your review. Your confirmation that you’ve done so as a bona fide Wammer is helpful. Many thanks.

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Thanks for confirming. Forums are an open target for “shilling” where someone posts a supposedly objective review but actually has a commercial or other (conflict of) interest in doing so, and this may explain why some people react more strongly than you might have hoped when you shared your review. Your confirmation that you’ve done so as a bona fide Wammer is helpful. Many thanks.

The thought of that never really crossed my mind at all, I just saw it as excercising my (failing) writing skills writing about something I liked - and with so many trying to search out analogue sounding DACs (myself included), it would be a helper to those as a few on HeadFi where to me when I was researching myself. Plus I like homegrown heroes , those that dont have tonnes to spend in RD, so when they get it 'right' like MHDT did with this one, its only fair they should get some exposure as they probably don't have the money to fluff the Hifi press like the likes of the bigger brands do.

• Like 1

Nice write up thanks.

A few years back now I had a MHDT Paradisea one of their early NOS dacs with a tube output stage. The midrange was quiet something, very beguiling particularly vocals all those words like liquid, organic, dripping with texture, density of tone etc would apply.  It really wowed on the first few listens then you start to realise the glorious midrange came at the sacrifice of the top end and bottom ends which were seriously rolled off. Resolution and sound staging also took a big hit. It kind of felt almost like you were viewing music wearing blinkers and the top and bottom frequencies lopped off. All the attention was focused on the midrange centric. 

I didn't keep it for long for those reasons but it sure made me curious to what the top of the range NOS dacs might be capable of.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

It kind of felt almost like you were viewing music wearing blinkers and the top and bottom frequencies lopped off. All the attention was focused on the midrange centric. 

Rose coloured spectacles, or beer goggles :D Thats not always a bad thing you know :)

• Like 1

Super Dealer

Whilst I don't know the MHDT dacs I've used TDA1541s in quite a few dac implementations and they can crank out both bass and treble with the right NOS implementation, so it's not intrinsic to the Dac chip

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Juancho said:

Whilst I don't know the MHDT dacs I've used TDA1541s in quite a few dac implementations and they can crank out both bass and treble with the right NOS implementation, so it's not intrinsic to the Dac chip

I’m not sure anyone has implied it is, but I may have missed it. As per earlier posts, I think (hope!) we all appreciate that the sound of a DAC is more than the sound of the chip.

11 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

we all appreciate that the sound of a DAC is more than the sound of the chip.

Yes Nigel, we do know that. Otherwise, we'd all have fancy chips and just our different preference of fancy brand/box to stick them in  

Edited by eddie-baby